Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
I'm not really far in the game yet, so it's hard to judge it so soon but... I'm so not feeling it. More than anything, it feels *very* arcadish.
Gonna keep it short for now, but : It feels like too much things were dumbed down, streamlined, and in general the game seems to have lost its personality. Maybe I'm judging it too fast, but reviews don't really seem to say otherwise either so... Dunno, I'll just wait and see, but right now I'm slightly disappointed with it.
(I'm still having fun with it tho)

Also : Do you have motion blur enabled? I think your fps is a little low, and I'm wondering if it may be due to that. I have a similar setup to yours, but my settings are higher and so is my framerates. I think that the only things that are not maxed are sound quality (medium), water quality (medium), bodies quality (medium) and motion blur being off. (and v-sync, but that's a given)
Otherwise everything is maxed, with my reso at 1600x1200, AAx4, AFx16, and the games doesn't seem to go under 30. I remember motion blur giving me a bad fps in the demo, and I didn't really like playing with it anyway.

·
Irregular User
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
similar setup? the thing thats holding my system back the most is prolly the ol X2 4000+, and my card aint overclocked. The only time i noticed the framerate dipped to 20's is when im outside fighting, when fighting indoors its smoother even when lots o things are happening.

About the gameplay, they removed the leaning -_-, and the move cover doesnt seem to be pretty useful, but i still like it so far, (mebbe the dumbing down was caused again by consolitis!?!?!?)

·
I m meow desu! ^_^
4,454 Posts
Look nice i will get this asap

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
All settings at max detail (vsync disabled) + 2X AA and 4X AF 1280x1024 (LCD native)
FPS can go around 40~60FPS when wanderin around and around 18-23FPS during heavy fights
That's really useless information considering I have no idea what your system is.

·
Irregular User
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's really useless information considering I have no idea what your system is.
Ah sorry, i was assuming that most of the folks here know about the profile info where you store your PC specs <_<
(so go click my username and choose view public profile )

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
does anyone think fear2 has really suffered because there are console ports, it felt like the graphics are a small step up from the original and there are pop ups like the fire alarm popping into view... i really hate the future of pc gaming if its only getting a console port and not a significantly improved game

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
The graphics are the least of my concern with FEAR 2, to be quite honest. The game looks quite good in action, and while enemies "flashing up" when you activate slow-mo is kinda lame, it's not really bothering me that much. It's kinda useful considering how much "dust" there's going on in the game.

What concern me is stuff like the weapons, who feel terribly... Generic. They lost much of the charm that they had from the first game. The first gun you get feels like a plastic gun, no feedback at all. And the shotgun... What made is so awesome in the first (felt powerful, dismembered enemies) seems to have disappeared. The gun doesn't feel like it pack a punch, and when you shoot someone close what happen is... They explode? It doesn't actually feels nice, since it doesn't feel right... It just seems like they thought "look, players loved gore, so lets give them EXPLODING soldiers! That's gonna work".
(Dunno about the other weapons, like I said previously I'm not that far yet so maybe things get REALLY DIFFERENT and the game becomes awesome)

The apparitions of Alma feels like "subtle" and atmospheric than they did, and feel more like a "Go this way, you dumbass" or "Hey, this is a scary game, so BOO". Or just "man, this engine can make some KICKASS sfx! Look at how we just PWNED that guy!".

The way the story advance also feels less... Interesting. It's just another "You're someone very very very special, but you just follow what everyone else in the game tells you to do."

Overall the game has less atmosphere than the first F.E.A.R. had, or Condemned (even tho they were two very different games, they were good example of Monolith rocking the whole "Scary" scene).

The game being a console port is what makes it feel so arcadish, but it's not the only reason why the game doesn't feel as good as what I expected.
(And I won't blame the consoles themselves for the whole arcadish part, but simply the developers. Not changing the saving system for PCs? Seriously? What's up with that?
And the guns? They could TOTALLY have re-tuned them, to give them a little more personality.)

It's still a good game, it's just definitely dumbed down compared to previous games from the same developer.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Never drops below 60 on my system with max settings + 4xAA/16xAF at 1440x900. :p

·
Irregular User
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just finished it recently, and the ending was WTF o_0

it's still a good game despite being dumbed down by "consolitis" just like what happened to Fallout3, FarCry 2 and many others...
The save system didn't bother me though, just like in the original FarCry (it makes things a little challenging) and in FEAR2, the game is somehow easy compared to the original one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts