Next Generation Emulation banner

F.E.A.R 2 Demo released but some can't play it...

4K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  runawayprisoner 
#1 ·
I wonder if this will be another Grand Theft Auto 4 type scenario?

When I tried the Steam and 2 other downloads, they crash at the same point.

They load up to the game menu and when you select play game it loads 1/2 ways and then crashes. It seems nobody has tracked down the reason why some gamers can't play the game beyond a Sound Card and video issue.

It's pissed me off, I've tried everything including uninstalling and reinstalling my sound card drivers. I hope this doesn't happen with other games like Batman: Arkham Asylum. The weird thing is Windows reports my sound card as fully functional and that there are no problems with it.

#3 ·
Nope, I tried it but the error still occurs, thanks for the suggestion though.
I even tried wiping and reinstalling the latest sound drivers from Creative, no dice.

#4 ·
When I got Ghost Recon, it crashed in the beginning. I didn't found any problem, but when I runned Microsoft Process Monitor, I noticed that the game was looking for OpenAL. I downloaded OpenAL and after installation, Ghost Recon worked.

I don't if this works, but you can take a look.

#5 ·
The FEAR 2 Demo is working fine here on my antiquated hardware. The problem seems to be with specific hardware/driver combinations. I'm sure the Monolith team will have this figured out before the game actually gets released.

A few years ago, releasing game demos before the actual release was the norm. Nowadays, you're lucky to get one at all. Part of why releasing a demo is so important is that it allows the developers to squash more bugs before the game's actual release. (Maybe GTA4 should have had a demo.;) *cough*)

#7 ·
And you must have a Windows Live account, too? :p How about your version of Windows must be Vista or above, your version of Windows must be activated and genuine, all your drivers must be WHQL, and WDDM, your Vista score must be over 5.9? :p (p.s.: your attack points in Disgaea must be over 50 mil? :evil: Seriosly, though... that's kinda impossible even with hacking)

And anyway, just checked the FEAR 2 demo on my PC, too. Onboard sound chip works just fine. I guess this only happens to discrete sound cards.

#8 ·
Nope, I tried it but the error still occurs, thanks for the suggestion though.
I even tried wiping and reinstalling the latest sound drivers from Creative, no dice.
The latest beta or WHQL?

(p.s.: your attack points in Disgaea must be over 50 mil? :evil: Seriosly, though... that's kinda impossible even with hacking)

And anyway, just checked the FEAR 2 demo on my PC, too. Onboard sound chip works just fine. I guess this only happens to discrete sound cards.
oO Damn. I just picked up Disgaea 3 yesterday.:p

Perhaps disabling your SoundBlaster through Device Manager and enabling onboard sound (if your motherboard has this) to see if it crashes then. If you don't have onboard sound, try disabling your SoundBlaster and running the game without it.

#9 ·
oO Damn. I just picked up Disgaea 3 yesterday.:p
See you online next year. :p Hopefully by then... you'll have reached enough ATK points to kill the ultimate boss in the game.

Perhaps disabling your SoundBlaster through Device Manager and enabling onboard sound (if your motherboard has this) to see if it crashes then. If you don't have onboard sound, try disabling your SoundBlaster and running the game without it.
If this turns out to be a problem with Creative cards only, I'd laugh it off because people always jump game developers whenever something goes wrong. :p

#10 ·
Nope, it crashed with Realtek as well...Thanks though...

#11 · (Edited)
And you must have a Windows Live account, too? :p How about your version of Windows must be Vista or above, your version of Windows must be activated and genuine, all your drivers must be WHQL, and WDDM, your Vista score must be over 5.9? :p (p.s.: your attack points in Disgaea must be over 50 mil? :evil: Seriosly, though... that's kinda impossible even with hacking)

On that note, its safe to say rockstar is having a laugh similar to this one after you gave them all those new ideas to F over their customers.

#12 ·
Okay... back after checking out the demo properly. Been able to check it out on PS3 and PC. What can I say? I'd recommend this against anyone who has heart conditions... and I'm GLAD it would have sound issues.

Why? Because this isn't FEAR 2! It's mindf*** episode 1000!! The screen gets stamped with blood, deformed bodies, ghostly figures, eerie images, and the speakers get flushed with moaning, crying, growling, twitching, and any other kinds of sounds you can imagine. They held back nothing to scare the living **** out of you this time. Literally nothing. Action is very... limited in the demo. As in... you only get to do a little bit of shooting against actual enemies, who come down after a shot or two... or a hit or two. It's like the shooting just "somehow" made it into the demo.

Geebus... that was one HELL of a demo. Literally. I wouldn't be surprised if this game gets more than an M rating, even without sex.

But that might explain why there are sound issues. Too many sounds at once.

#13 ·
Okay... back after checking out the demo properly. Been able to check it out on PS3 and PC. What can I say? I'd recommend this against anyone who has heart conditions... and I'm GLAD it would have sound issues.

Why? Because this isn't FEAR 2! It's mindf*** episode 1000!! The screen gets stamped with blood, deformed bodies, ghostly figures, eerie images, and the speakers get flushed with moaning, crying, growling, twitching, and any other kinds of sounds you can imagine. They held back nothing to scare the living **** out of you this time. Literally nothing. Action is very... limited in the demo. As in... you only get to do a little bit of shooting against actual enemies, who come down after a shot or two... or a hit or two. It's like the shooting just "somehow" made it into the demo.

Geebus... that was one HELL of a demo. Literally. I wouldn't be surprised if this game gets more than an M rating, even without sex.

But that might explain why there are sound issues. Too many sounds at once.
That sounds nice, I think I'll download the demo this night. But before that, does it contain any kind of DRM? I know, it's a demo, but I just wanna be sure :p

#14 ·
I don't think so, IIRC this will be a Steam product. That is the DRM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.