Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.
I want to extract a car model from the 1999 PS1 Visual Novel, Silver Jiken.
The game's filesystem of what I've checked is VERY cryptic, there's just zero indication as to where or even HOW the game stores it's 3D data. So the method of reverse engineering the 3D files seems to be next to impossible. I'd like to hear you guys' opinion if it would be possible however.
So my impression is the only feasible way is to use an emulator to run the game and then with Cheat Engine find where my desired model is located in the memory.
Can someone give guidance on this, please? I've been trying without success already for a few weeks to get the model.
I by the way came across this interesting article: https://suxin.space/notes/cw-reverse-engineering-models/ but would like some clarification as to what's said there as I'm not a programmer really, and for example would like to know how do I find the beginning of PS1 RAM segment on psxfin or no$psx? Thanks in advance!

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,507 Posts
There was an app I used years ago for texture and music extraction. It had a free trial forever version and a fully unlocked paid version that exposed the entire file system. I'll see if I can track it down...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to hear..so that program would do more than just show the data like how you can see by opening the rom in jpsxdec..? If so then maybe that program could be helpful atleast.

Darn Grasshopper Manufacture for programming this game so trickily.
My strong belief still is the only way is to get and read the coordinate values in the GTE..if someone's well-versed in PSX technicalities and Cheat Engine usage, oh please help haha.

But I'm open to any method, what I want in the end is the absolute minimum of the model data so I can build the model in Blender.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,507 Posts
https://github.com/cebix/psximager

^This tool can extract the PS1 image to a standard directory structure. Unfortunately, it has no GUI. The original tool I was thinking of was PsxMC and it seems that it was never further developed as promised.

There's also TMD2LWO which may come in handy depending on what the model format you need is in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually searched myself yesterday and came across psximager. There's no compiled release though, is there and I'm not able to compile it myself so unless someone helps out by compiling and sharing the program/helping me compile it, it won't be of use for me :,(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the answer but unfortunately no I doubt the info in that Reddit post is relevant to this project..I got my doubts that this game uses .TMD model format.
I just in case nevertheless did save that post if it maybe later becomes useful.

I still stand by my belief that extracting the model data is most doable by finding the vertex coordinates with Cheat Engine on an emulator running the game. If this method would pan out the process's technicalities I would document so other people wanting to extract PSX 3D data would have info about a method which is not restricted to one or only a few games.

So anyway. I would like to know what kinda patterns should I be looking for in Cheat Engine's memory viewer, that would be the vertex data or something pointing to that..?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yeah I do know of this program. As a sidenote, IMO Ninja Ripper is superior, it doesn't produce a skewed rip.

So anyway. These 3D screenshot programs are no good for ripping PSX models because there isn't a depth buffer so one will just get a flat rip, no good.

If it wasn't so, I'd already have the model I want months ago and wouldn't have made this thread.

Again, I believe the most feasible method is to use Cheat Engine on an emulator running the game, to find the model's vertex coordinates. But I just would like some info by someone who's knowledgeable, about what kinda patterns are of a PSX 3D model's data in memory during runtime, or what kinda patterns may point to the data..

I contacted Friedslick6 from VG-Resource a couple of months ago and the idea he said, would be to find what the Direct Memory Access is transferring to the Geometry Transformation Engine..but for this I'd badly need the help of some PS1 tech guru.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts