1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently running:
AMD 64 X2 3800+ Windsor OC'd to 2.5ghz.
AN9 32x Fatality AM2 Mobo
2GBDDR2 800 down clocked to 533 to prevent FSB OC.
8800GT 512MB PCIE

Planning to get an AMD 64 X2 6000+ the 3.1 Ghz 89W version and Upping the DDR to 4GB total.

Normal settings for Bleach Battle Bladers 2nd is 12fps give or take 5 frames depending on character and object load. VU Skip ups that to mid 20s.

Any educated guesses on performance increase? I know the E8400 is a better chip but, due to money, this is what I'm looking at.

Also on a side note, anyone have a suggested setting for VU skip that I could try? Been using 60 cap and skip if below 50. I've searched before but, only found frameskip vs vu skip.

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
4,713 Posts
Most pcsx2 games being bound by peoples cpus, performance tends to increases linearly in most situations with games. So a 20% cpu OC will equate to a bit under 20% performance improvement.

So you 2.5 vs a new 3.1. This can be fairly easily guesstimated since they are the exact same architecture. You will see likely a 20% increase in performance since the 3.1 is ~22% faster.

Regarding archieteture you probably already know this but if the clock speeds are the same i7 > penryn > conroe > x2 > phenom rev1 > a slug > pentium 4.

i7 is only a bit faster clock for clock then penryn and doesn't justify the exorbident price. If you increase internal resolution of your games to like 2800 x 1500, even your 8800GT videocard is going to start becoming the bottleneck. :p

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Well, I think your chart is a bit off.

Core i7
Penryn/Wolfdale >= Phenom 2
Conroe >= Phenom
Athlon64
Pentium D
Pentium 4

In realistic performance, the Phenom is a match to Conroe, the only problem it has is pure clockspeed, in decent motherboards, you can easily reach 3.6Ghz on Conroe's while you'd be struggling to reach 3.4Ghz on Phenoms.

And isn't Penryn and Wolfdale basically the same? I mean one is for laptops and one is for desktops?

As for the topic creator :

I think that increase of clockspeed won't amount too much in PCSX2 I'm afraid, it's because I remember using my Athlon64 3800 @ 2.3Ghz and then getting, my MVC2 FPS got from 30+FPS to about 40+ FPS. But if the game you're playing is already getting the 40FPS range then upgrading your processor could net you near to total full speed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got the upgrade. pushed the 5400 BE to 3.2 with VU skip, the avg fps went from mid 20s to upper 30s. Not too bad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts