Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had epsxe working fairly well, besides the fact that i couldn’t return to my metal gear game after going to the menu, but then i reinstalled my computer to it's factory default and after updating everything espsx didn't work very well anymore. the only thing i could come up with is that MacAfee is interfering in some way. as it stands game play is far too choppy to bother with. with the reinstall, all my settings were wiped out after i replaced all the files back from my file backup disk.

i don’t know what setting I’m not setting right but it isn't working.... n e 1 have n e ideas.

ati radion express 200 series laptop. and yes i have those crumby black triangles and yes they suck :)

Using epsxe vr 1.6.0

Plugs
Vid: pete’s opengl driver 1.76
Sound: p.e.op.s. sound audio driver 1.9

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
first off you should have read in the sticky's they repared the opengl black triangle problems with the newer drivers.
Click here for Ati Xpress 200 series drivers

You should use ePSXe 1.70 with the internal SPU Core since its compatibility has goten better and also update the plugins .
Click here to get ePSXe 1.7.0 & for plugins click here

Also post your video plugin configuration and the other PC specs (like CPU & ram) as for the video card how much memory does it have alocated and in the video plugin config did you manually seted the GFX card Vram ?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm not sure where to look to see how much memory it has alocated. i did instal the latest catylist already but the one you linked to doesn't work. sez it's incompatible. doesn't say why. i'll check again for triangles. it'd be nice to see lt brea's face from paracite eve ii :)

let me work on this after a nap and i'll get back to you. this evening

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
no actualy both the catalyst conrole center you linked and the one i found myself, fail to install a driver update. and if you try to find a driver at Drivers & Software for RADEON XPRESS 200M Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) you will fail miserably. my current driver number is 7.14.10.830

i dont get a properties tab when i r-click my desk top.

black triangles are indeed gone now :) ok triangles fixed now on to why it lags and finding a winrar to unpack the new emulator and finding that info you requested i'm on vista32 btw

ok i'm getting a fail from the epsxe170 missing dll etc. is it vista compatable? zlib1.dll was not found

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
i tried the new plugins on other game and they seem to work but they dont do anything for the problems i'm having with metal gear. this is for my epsxe 1.6.0 emulator btw. 170 is a total fail

total available graphic memory: 287 mb

oh goody.... i just did a windows update on my driver to driver8.341.0.0 and i gave me back all my beloved black triangles....... thankyou microsoft!

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
So you are using ATI Xpress 200 series on windows Vista 32 biti right ? sry my first link was for the XP drivers (i was tired & in a hurry then totally forgot to ask about OS :p )

If the above info is right this drivers should work Click here another note here before installing the drivers you should uninstall your current drivers also if the info above is not right use this http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html to choose your operating system first, then choose Integrated/Motherboard , after that choose your Model

also dont look at the total available graphics memory look at the dedicated video memory and right the number what it says there in the Video plugin option at "GFX Card Ram" option

as for zlib there is a sticky in the main ePSXe section get it from here

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
well i had the catylist driver installed but following the same steps to install it after having installed the windows deathlockupdate has proven useless. i'm currently brow beating a windows tech rep.

i must say, your voodoo is powerful :) integrated motherboard very nice. now why didnt i think of that selection... :/

very cool found the zlib but now i dont have a video driver... might even work better now that windows and amd arent on it to screw it up. i'll let ya know.

it's 222 for shared system graphic memory.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
ok what I think happened was that they had a driver that fixed the black triangle problem, but then they released a new driver that has the black triangle problem again.... so now i need a catalyst control center that allows an old version to be installed.

:(

now, on to tinkering with metal gear and the new epsxe170

:)

friggin damn black triangles :(

ok no black triangles on the new emulator even with the 8.3blah blah diver. still have them on the old emu tho

now on to metal gear

it's not so choppy that i cant play but it is still more choppy than it was before my reinstall. the choppyness goes in and out.

but it does return from esc to menu. so i should be able to get a save onto disk two.

it's mostly only bad choppy during cinimatics and codec coms

game play seems ok tho.

while it returns from the splash screne menu ok it doesn't load from a saved state without the same issue the old one had with the return from menu... i guess i just have to play without saved states...
it also locks up solid at the change disk screne when i try to change disks so... dunno :(

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
i switched to epsxe vr 1.5.2 and it's working great. also, i used a different bios. gonna try the dif bios on the 170 that doesn't suffer the triangles.

nope that wasn't it. but i did fix the sound thing by clicking a bunch of stuff in the sound plug. or maybe i changed gpu plugin.

hmmm well i've figured out what cures the black triangles and the sound but i think i'd rather have my saved states back :) the p o e 1.18 fixed the triangles. it wasn't my ati driver update that fixed that. they're right back with gpu plug petes open gl 1.77

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
it's also 1.18 that doesn't like to save sound into saved states on metalgear solid. know a fix?

ok now it's to the point that even pressing the f1 key will cause the sound to die let alone loading a state with the f3 key. uhg

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
Try to use pete D3D drivers if you want better graphics also dont forget to manually right your Dedicated Video Memory in the Plugins Video config at "GFX Card Vram" as for save states they tend to break games its better not using them if possible.

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
it's also 1.18 that doesn't like to save sound into saved states on metalgear solid. know a fix?

ok now it's to the point that even pressing the f1 key will cause the sound to die let alone loading a state with the f3 key. uhg
do not use save states with MGS, save/load from a memory card and only that.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Try to use pete D3D drivers if you want better graphics also dont forget to manually right your Dedicated Video Memory in the Plugins Video config at "GFX Card Vram" as for save states they tend to break games its better not using them if possible.
those all have the triangles and the sound is so choppy it's not even worth it. thumbs down for petes 3d stuff.

actually before my reinstall the saved states worked perfectly. in fact if it were any other way I wouldn't even bother. they are the only draw to playing on an emulator. it is the 1.18 driver that fails 100% on a saved state on metal gear solid and frankly it is unique to my experiences thus far. it is also the only thing I’ve found that gets rid of the triangles.

on a side note. i found that if i have my base vga adapter instaled it never has triangles. it lags like hell but there's no triangles :)

do not use save states with MGS, save/load from a memory card and only that.
as i said i had been using saved states on metal gear solid for quite some time without fail or misshap on 1.6 epsxe with pete's open gl 1.76

hmmm actualy pete's open gl 1.77 failes to save states also. it's probably an emulater problem with 170epsxe

ok i changed back to the 1.6 epsxe and i noticed a little spining disk icon in the uper right corber when the sound chops up. so i tinkered with the cdrom plugin and it seemed to work quite well after that. as far as the choppy went n e way.

a ha! the saved state issues come from sound plugins. either by setting or by programing the eternal sound plugin ends your chance to save state or to load state. i'm not sure why it seemed so much more deadly on the 1.18 gpu plugin.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok after a horrible amount of tweaking I was able to get 1.18 on epsxe1.6 up and running as well as before, save state wise, and triangle wise :) i found the choppy thing to be read errors and they might be caused by improper settings of the rom plugin or by the Moby plugin it's self. the only problem i have yet to figure is returning to the game after going to the splash screen menu i.e. to change disks. that may be because like the saved state problem a portion of the sound channels isn't being saved right or it could be by the epsxe version. but since i did manage to get it to work long enough to change disks once and get me a nice hard memory card save, i probably wont bother to figure it out. gl whoever pops by off a Google search to find this.

metal gear solid saved state saving problem disk change cant change disks insert disk two black triangles

ummm cant think of any other relevant search terms. so bye bye till next problem :) i.e. cya tomorrow lol

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
ok i got it to get to disk two by using another version to change it's cdrom plugin. for some reason no mater what you do, every version you have will set what plugins the other versions are set to use reguardless of whether or not there is that version in the plugin folder. i set the 1.70 to use SaPu's CD plugin 1.0 and then i exited and went back to 1.6.0 i thel loaded the memory card file for snowblahblah and changed disks. after that i saved and closed 1.6.0 and entered my original rom plugin. by setting the rom plugin in 1.70 i efectivly made 1.6.0 run without one and vuala i could magicly change disks again! yay!

so basicly all these cd rom plugins are missing something.....

·
クロスエクス
4,662 Posts
I assume that for disk change you tried File => Change Disk => CDROM, right?

There's a known issue with ePSXe v1.7.0 and disk change using IMAGES, but none that I know of when using the CDROM.

I never had such problems with MGS and ePSXe 1.7.0 with neither plugin.
If your system tends to have such many troubles with the game, you can always try other emulators. And as told, do not rely on Savestates or you'll be prone to have issues.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
ok i got it to get to disk two by using another version to change it's cdrom plugin. for some reason no mater what you do, every version you have will set what plugins the other versions are set to use reguardless of whether or not there is that version in the plugin folder. i set the 1.70 to use SaPu's CD plugin 1.0 and then i exited and went back to 1.6.0 i thel loaded the memory card file for snowblahblah and changed disks. after that i saved and closed 1.6.0 and entered my original rom plugin. by setting the rom plugin in 1.70 i efectivly made 1.6.0 run without one and vuala i could magicly change disks again! yay!

so basicly all these cd rom plugins are missing something.....
Sapu 1.0 IS NOT supported in 1.7.0, update to 1.3.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
i dont think you understand what i'm explaining. i'm using saved states on metal gear solid with 100% efficiancy. i am not prone to anything except finishing the game in record time :)

and the 1.0 was only used on 170 to dislodge my cdrom pluging on my 1.6.0 vrsion. whether it works on 170 is neither here nor there. it could have been any plugin.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
i don't care if your issue is fixed, support will not be given for anyone using sapu cdr 1.0 on epsxe 1.7

1 - 20 of 23 Posts