Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like I said some irresponsible,greedy,selfish people will try to copy Epsxe program on a CD and sell them at their little shops. I've seen many SNES and N64 emulators being sold. The emulator and a few games or roms are bundled all in one in a CD. Now, if those greedy bastards tries to gain profit from Epsxe emulator, what will the Epsxe team going to about it? Is Epsxe is a commercial thingie or just a free program? This really bothers me when I go to a certain pc shop and saw all this pirated games being sold. Hell, I also buy piracy games just becoz it's cheap altho that's a lot of problems I can't help it BUT Epsxe being sold, now that's not very right. What's your opinion on this?

S

·
0 Posts
if it's purely epsxe being sold, yes, that would be very bad...

but I don't have problems with shareware cd's that contains a lot of programs and epsxe is among them , as long as the psx bios is not included of course....because a shareware cd is not that much different from a shareware site

·
Registered
251 Posts
don't support them then by not buying the cd
lagipun buat ape ko nak membazir RM5 beli cd tu padahal ko boleh download free je

S

·
0 Posts
If ePSXe were being distributed as shareware, like Samor said, then I see nothing wrong w/that. Of course it goes w/out saying that the PSX Bios should not be included, that would make it illegal. But what would make it wrong, is if it was distributed this way with out permission of the ePSXe team. They should be consulted and have control of it every step of the way. If it is done w/out their knowledge, then they might just get very annoyed, like Duddie and Tratax did when the PSEMU PRO Beta was leaked, and decide to drop the whole thing. If these shareware CDs are being sold, then they (the ePSXe team) deserve a fair share of the profits. After all, it is their hard work and hours taken from their lives that have made ePSXe possible. If they don't recieve any profit, then, as far as I'm concerned, ePSXe should not be distributed or sold on CD for any reasons.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

S

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by sxamiga
If ePSXe were being distributed as shareware, like Samor said, then I see nothing wrong w/that. Of course it goes w/out saying that the PSX Bios should not be included, that would make it illegal. But what would make it wrong, is if it was distributed this way with out permission of the ePSXe team. They should be consulted and have control of it every step of the way. If it is done w/out their knowledge, then they might just get very annoyed, like Duddie and Tratax did when the PSEMU PRO Beta was leaked, and decide to drop the whole thing. If these shareware CDs are being sold, then they (the ePSXe team) deserve a fair share of the profits. After all, it is their hard work and hours taken from their lives that have made ePSXe possible. If they don't recieve any profit, then, as far as I'm concerned, ePSXe should not be distributed or sold on CD for any reasons.
sincerely,
sx/amiga
i'm sorry but I disagree (a bit)...shareware cd's are a common means of spreading software, it was even around before everybody had internet, so I don't see a problem when it's included (without the bios of course)....this is, because with shareware cd's you dont pay for the actual program but for the production costs...of course a company that makes shareware cd's makes some money on them , but they don't make that on the software itself....of course the epsxe team could be contacted, but if this doesnt happen in this case I can't say it's bad....it's not about leaking....i mean, otherwise an ISP would have to pay the epsxe team because thanks to the internet you can download it...don't you remember all the shareware cd's a few years ago? And now because there's internet they're considered 'bad' ? I mean, i'll often hear people like "i can download that", but they forget shareware already WAS there on cd's....many people came into emulation that way...not bad IMO....

S

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by JeremyAnderson
I don't think they should charge for the cd, but if they were giving it away then fine just the same as downloading it from a site.
of course they charge for the cd....again, a few years ago , when nobody had internet yet, it was considered perfectly normal to pay..say, $10 for a shareware cd....and IMO that's still perfectly normal

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
not unless it has bios images or anything other than freeware games..
anyhow, there still is shareware but if someone is making a profit off of it, the "right" thing to do is to give the author royalties

S

·
0 Posts
That was my main point. If ePSXe is to be sold as shareware, it should only be done w/the author's consent and knowledge. Also, as Bgnome said, the epSXe team should be given any royalties due them.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

S

·
0 Posts
did you really think no company would make money on a shareware disc? of course they do, they even have to, otherwise shareware cd;s would have ended a long time ago....what I'm trying to say, a few years ago, when we didnt have internet, we would buy sharware cd's and nobody would talk about royalties...that wasn't realistic either because shareware was the means to spread both shareware and freeware..(or download it from a BBS)..and the coming of internet DOESN'T CHANGE THAT, imo....seems everybody forgot about THAT when they got internet. an ISP makes money on you, he doesnt have to pay royalties.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
but the subject of shareware DOES depend on the authors. just because an author allows his material to be publically viewed does not give the public a right to make a profit off of it. shareware still does exist, and without its existence i doubt doom would have done so well, but the whole point of the issue is the morality of selling something someone could get for free.

one such example: linux is a free os, but you can buy redhat.
they can sell their linux os because it is open source and thus by definition allowing anyone to do as they wish with it.

however, epsxe is not open source. neither is it deemed shareware by its authors. people DO NOT have a right to sell it and make a profit.

my 2 (more) cents

S

·
0 Posts
well, of course, would the authors not want it, it shouldnt be on the cd...
but keep in mind that there's no profit being made on epsxe itself when it's on a shareware cd.....

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hell, I also buy piracy games just becoz it's cheap altho that's a lot of problems I can't help it

It really is too bad that flaming isn't allowed on this board... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I've got to agree with Samor on this. If the authors don't want it distributed in a certain medium, they certainly have the right to say so, and expect it to not be done. However, I don't think they should expect a portion of the revenues. I mean, psxemu.com gets revenue from the ads on it's page, they offer ePSXe for download. I don't think calb and the other authors expect to get part of that revenue. Granted, psxemu.com doesn't make any actual profit from the ads, however some sites do. It's the same thing with people that sell shareware CD's and make profit on them.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
yeah, and they should start shooting people who keep thinking that epsxe runs roms.. :p

i know that there are technicalities behind what a rom is, but i really doubt anyone who refers to them as a rom realizes this (in the case of psx emulation anyway). and thats why it annoys me..

1 - 20 of 41 Posts