Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using ePSXe 1.6 under Linux with Pete's Mesa plugin, and all the configurations specified in the "Game Compatibility" thread. Whenever I hit escape, and attempt to return to the game, the screen is black and cannot be recovered.

What can I do?

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
I dunno your PC specs so all I can say ATM is that old video cards don't like being
paused with the esc button :p

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AMD AthlonXP 2500+ (O/Cd to 3200+)

PC3200 (400mhz) 512 MB DDR RAM, twinbanked.

Asus A7N8X-E 400mhz FSB motherboard, nForce2, 2x onboard LAN, Soundstorm 5.1.

GeForce FX5200 128mb 8X AGP. (The weakpoint.)

Linux 2.4.26.
NVIDIA's Linux display drivers, 1.0-6629.
XOrg 6.8.1.
Mesa 6.2.1.

I was not experiencing this problem under Windows.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
I'm sorry I don't never had this problem, it's probably related to Linux...
let's hope someone knows what to do :p

·
InnarX
2,756 Posts
This is most definitely either a display driver problem in Linux or Pete's Plugin, but I am going to go with the former.

1.)Make sure you've updated to the latest driver version, from nVidia, for Linux.

2.)If the above doesn't fix it, I am sure there must be some way. Check this forum, and perhaps other emu forums concerning this issue....

But, the reason why I suggest the driver issue is because I had Slackware Linux working a while back, and I was using some 'unique' drivers (not supported by ATi, for I had a Radeon 7200 and the official ATi drivers only support 8500 and above). The games ran like complete, utter a$$ and once I pressed escape, I had the same issue...it would go black and nothing would happen. I'd have to close the program and start again.

I wish you good luck solving this, and any further info I gather I will post here. :)

r2rX :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You will notice in my thread I specified that I was using: "NVIDIA's Linux display drivers, 1.0-6629". These are the most recent drivers supporting my card.

Chances are it's a combination of these particular drivers and the low budget nature of my physical card. Their windows drivers probably compensate moreso.

·
Registered
38 Posts
As far as I can tell, you are experiencing a framebuffer incompatibility with Xorg, NVidia's drivers and your kernel.
Updating your kernel to the latest one (2.6.10, at the time of writing) and recompiling Nvidia's drivers as long as using the latest plugins should fix the problem.
Otherwise, you can checkout my FAQ at
http://www.ngemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58600
Hope this helps.
At the moment I am using ePSXe 1.60r3
Pete's XGL2 driver 2.6
Pe.Op.S SPU Audio driver 1.6

·
Registered
33 Posts
actually i have the same thing. after switching back to epsxe its window is black. it just takes to push 'start' to get it back to work properly. at least in FF8

i'm using gentoo linux on nvidia gf2, nvidia drivers 1.0-6629, epsxe with pete's opengl plugin 1.75

·
Registered
38 Posts
To resolve the blackening problem in GENTOO configure ePSXe to use Pete's XGL2 plugin, and try out any advanced shader or offscreen drawing levels.
That should fix it.
It takes a while of trial and error, but usually it works.
The same i applies to the Windows version.
For the record, I have tested this on Final Fantasy 8 NTSC/UC version.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts