Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have checked to see if this question has already been answered but I couldn't find anything so here's the situation.

I have recently bought an external CD drive case adapter and a internal 52x CD drive, so it's basically a normal external CD drive. Here's the problem:

My normal PC games read the drive fine but ePSXe doesn't run games off it. In fact, the only CDROM plugin that even recognises the drive is the CDR 1.5.2 WNT/W2K plugin that comes with the program. When I try to play a CD off the 52x the following error messages occur in the logbook:

Init Core W2k cdrom... *gettrackinfo[4]
Warning: cdrom read mode unknown.
Error reading CD: 0,2,16
Error reading CD: 0,2,0

The other plugins do not even recongnise the drive, all they find is my 8x DVD burner drive. I wan't to play these games faster than 8x.

Can anybody help?

·
Registered
654 Posts
All the CDR plugins currently available (including ones internal to emulators) only work with internal CD-ROM drives, meaning IDE. None of them support the reading methods that work with external drives.

Incidentally, a DVD 8x drive is actually pretty good by current standards, seeing as how DVD data rates are at least six times that of CDs. So since DVD 1x > CD 6x, DVD 8x is at least CD 48x. PS1 games are all on CD, meant to be played with the CD 2x drive that's in a PS1.

If you're seeing lag in some spots using your DVD rewriter, it's because the emulator is trying to read from the drive but the disk has stopped spinning. A real PS1 or PS2 keeps the disk spinning all the time to avoid lag.

The solutions for CD spin-up lag are to use ISOs, or use something like Nero Drivespeed (freeware) to prevent the disk from spinning down.

Dan

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
not all internal CD drives are IDE, dbhankins ;) there are SATA internal drives too, which AFAIK support the ATAPI interface that ePSXe requires.

anyway, if you're gonna use a CDR plugin, dont use the ePSXe one. use Peops, Xeven's, or Sapu's.

·
Registered
654 Posts
True enough, I have two SATA hard drives in my box. I suppose if I wanted to be completely accurate I would have said "IDE or any flavor of ATA".

Buffering in a CDR plugin can help, but only if the part you need's in the buffer. If it isn't, and the CD has spun down, then...

Dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.