• ePSXe (emulator)

Votes: 31 79.5%
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which one is better, the PSX or ePSXe?

Considering the graphics improverments a PC makes my vote is for ePSXe even though there is alot of configuring to do!

I think this could be interesting just to see what people think :)

So what do u think vote in the pole above, and if ya want give reasons below.

·
Trans-Am Mode
998 Posts
i really miss the days when i play games on the original console. ever since my psx broke, (lens prob.) i hoped that i can continue playing psx games with the help of emulation and i found epsxe :D :D

·
Scourge of the Seven Seas
2,412 Posts
Tho I voted for ePSXe, I still hate playing 2D games on it. I always gripe about it, don't I? :p

·
Premium Member
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I havn't played a 2D game on ePSXe yet, whats wrong with playing 2D games?!!! oh and by the looks of the pole ePSXe is defiently winning so far, hmmm I wonder y?!!!! :D

·
2,412 Posts
It's because 2D, IMHO, looks so much better on TV because of the TV's scanlines, horizontal dark lines across the screen that take away quite a bit of pixellation from the game. For 3D, just higher resolutions do that, but for 2D games, it just makes it look kinda ugly, even with bilinear filtering. But some people like it :p.

·
Premium Member
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Surely 4xFSAA would take away that pixelisation!! Depends on the card and how pixelated it is :D Thats why ePSXe is better than a PSX in many ways (not to say the PSX was never good, because where would we b without it :)) firstly the resolution is far better I mean common!!! I am running at 1280x1024 and things that are totally 3D look WOW, only 2D looks out of place (logos etc) but FSAA works most of the time, sound quality is superb, memcards unlimited, instant cheats, SAVE STATES (hehehe RE 2, me I never saved :innocent:!!).

The only nag is that cfg can take a bit, but to be honest after using N64 emulation, it doesn't bug me!!

·
Carpal Tunneler
16 Posts
"Many people"? I don't think 20 people is enough to say "Hey, 80% of the NGEmu.com members prefer ePSXe over the real PSX". But then again, if everyone here voted, the percent of people who prefer ePSXe could be even higher... just saying that 20 people really isn't enough to draw conclusions. If you can get as many votes as the polls on gamefaqs.com do, however, it would be a different story.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Slightly more intelligent poll this, my opinion. I think emulation vs psx would be a better name for it. But it is still a biased opinion considering where this is posted. Wow, my typing is sad when I don't get sleep.

·
Premium Member
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree with Sniperscope that 21 (at the moment) people is not enough to draw any conclusions, but as time goes on I think this could get more interesting, though in think that it will turn out that more people prefer the emu, afterall we r in a emulation forum :D, but votes have been cast for the PSX, so it isn't totally biased!!

Thanks Gerbilcannon for the 'Slightly more intelligent' comment :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Personally I cannot see why anybody would choose the PSX over ePSXe. I mean, I can play my PSX games using a PSX pad via a USB->PC adaptor, output the enhanced graphics to my TV the sounds comes out of my speakers and subwoofer, have an infinite (well almost) amount of memory card space, saved states... need I go on?

·
Premium Member
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree that ePSXe is far better than PSX (now), but when the PSX first came out it was the undisputed best. and well has the best games for any console (except that the N64 had Zelda:().

My vote was for ePSXe, but I can c that some people may want to vote for the PSX as it is compatible with all games (for its area PAL-NTSC) (even though u can play JAP games using ePSXe!!) and u don't have to configure it, and it well is the original console!!

But again ePSXe still ranks higher with better sound/graphics and as u where saying Save States etc etc etc!!!

·
I'm?
1,866 Posts
even thought some of the games had glitches i preffer emu coz you can get enhance experience and also psx game can now compete against new games i know lack of detail but hey lot of game in psx has a good story and fun compared to other so i'd say epsxe(emu)

·
Premium Member
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh several games had glitches (mainly bad programming for the game I would guess), for example Cool Boarders 2, every polygon edge in the scenery used to have a white flicker on its edge as if the vertices didn't touch each other!! I looked horrible!!

·
2,412 Posts
Originally posted by CKemu
Surely 4xFSAA would take away that pixelisation!! Depends on the card and how pixelated it is :D
It takes a little away, but what's left are these big blocks that look ugly. I'll get a screen and show you when I get the chance (I'm at work). I'm stickin' to my gun :p.

·
Premium Member
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll wait for that screen!!! :cool: Havin' fun at work!!! :D I think I know what u will show me, when things like the 'universal' logo (start of Crash Bandicoot 2) loads up it has large blocks with smooth edges (mainly on the planet) I havn't played 2 many 2D games, but most of the time 4xFSAA works fine!!

I may actually agree with u in the end, hell scanlines do reduce the stepping effect in 2D games, but that is why ePSXe is better than a PSX, atleast u can turn the scanlines on and off!!

·
2,412 Posts
I use Lewpy's Glide . . . no scanlines . . . unless I'm missing something . . .

·
Premium Member
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I would try glide (it aparently alows for the FF7 swirls (different thread)) but I don't have a 3Dfx card, so glide just don't work!! :( but anyhow the GeForce 2 GTS rocks!!!! :D :D :D

·
2,412 Posts
See the pic. At 1024*768. The larger blocks on the edges, that unsmoothness isn't as noticeable when you're five feet away from your TV at all. Plus there's the black lines on some characters. It also happens in my MegaMan X games and my SNES emulator.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts