Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

ePSXe 2.0.5 is running very slow at my machine. I am using Video-plugin Pete's Open GL2 Driver 2.9, Desktop = 3840x2160, Game is played windowed 1024x768. I only get about 50-60 frames.
I am very curious about that, because with exactly the same settings I can play very normal with ePSXe 1.6.0 and have over 100fps.
Do you have any advice, why v2 does not perform so well like v1.6?

My machine is a amd ryzen x9 12 core and gpu is a nvdia rtx2080ti.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,500 Posts
To my understanding, ePSXe v1.9.0 and older use the video plugin return data for system timing. Versions 2.0.0+ use the audio plugins for much better accuracy. (audio is sampled much more often than video frames)

That being said, with versions 2.0.0+ you should use the included plugins because they are built with this in mind. Pete's OpenGL2 v2.9 plugin dates back to 2002 and definitely does not take these new timing rules into account. v2.0.5's included "Pete's OpenGL2 Core" plugin is the same as v2.9, but with some fixes and the new timing rules taken into account.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I've tried this with the standard plugins. Result: No more than 50 FPS and sound lags totally. absolutely unplayable :(

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,500 Posts
Alright how about this:

^These are my video plugin settings that work perfectly fine with 99.9% of my PS1 games.

Additionally, CPU overclocking = 1x, CPU mode = Dynarec, GTE hacks = subpixel precision (I don't enable widescreen because it screws up a lot of games)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. Your help is really appreciated!

I have tried the same settings like you. Result: Playing is much better, Video still sticks at 50FPS and sound still lags. But it is a clear improvement to before.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is a good thread.

Now I will be sure to use an older (yet better) version of ePSXe.

Such a slow down on the best nVidia consumer GPU available today (RTX 2080 Ti). 👎

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,500 Posts
Some additional notes:

1. Threading mode should ALWAYS be set to '0: 1-thread'. Yes, even if you have a multicore CPU. Setting it higher almost always caused me slowdown for some reason or would just outright cause games to immediately crash. I'm not even sure why the devs added this option because ePSXe ran fine on gaming PCs as far back as 1998. It's not like PCs now are slower and need the option now.

2.Gfx card vram should ALWAYS be manually set. Autodetection has always been problematic on ATI/AMD cards and I've read in multiple posts that at some point it stopped working properly on nVidia cards too. (Maybe something was changed in how their drivers report VRAM totals to Windows?) If the drop-down menu doesn't list the amount you have you can type it in manually. Just remember that it wants the total in megabytes, so multiply your VRAM amount in gigs x 1024. Additionally, I don't think the plugin can address above 4GB of VRAM. (It might not even handle above 2GB depending on how it was compiled) In any case, setting it to '1024' has always been fine for me and never caused problems. I highly doubt any PS1 game will go above that even with all the bells and whistles cranked up.

3. Use FPS limit should be checked along with Auto-detect FPS/Frame skipping limit being selected. This allows ePSXe to select the appropriate display framerate for the region your game was originally designed for. North American and Japanese (NTSC) games were designed for 60fps displays and the rest of the world (PAL) was designed for 50fps displays. Forcing a PAL region game to 60fps or an NTSC to 50fps will cause audio stuttering in addition to the game playing either too fast or too slow. Also, your global driver settings can cause problems too. If you have VSync forced on in your global driver settings, this can interfere with emulators no matter which region they are from. PAL (50fps) games will be forced to at least 60fps and NTSC (60fps) games will also be forced to 60fps. You may be wondering why this should be an issue for NTSC region games. The reason is because NTSC ISN'T 60fps. It's 59.94fps. We just say '60fps' because it's easier to remember. (Modern console games display at 60fps because of the HDTV standard which ignores the old concept of PAL and NTSC regions for tube televisions)

If you prefer to keep your global settings to force VSync on, you can create a custom game profile and point it at ePSXe and just turn VSync off for ePSXe only.

Also, (and I can't confirm this) it's possible that FreeSync/GSync may cause issues with ePSXe. You can create a custom profile for ePSXe to disable FreeSync/GSync in your driver's control panel for this also as I highly recommend leaving this enabled for everything else. Besides if you own such a display, wouldn't you want to use it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts