Next Generation Emulation banner

epsxe using cpu 100%

5K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  hushypushy 
#1 ·
I got this ePSXe 1.60 to play a game (created an iso for this).
But after playing awhile, the whole thing starts to lag very badly...i can't even play it right :(

i check the task manager and apparently ePSXe is using the cpu 100%!

my ePSXe details are as follows:
BIOS: scph1001.bin
Video: Pete's D3D Driver 1.75
Sound: ePSXe SPU Core 1.5.2
CDROM: ePSXe CDR WNT/W2K core 1.5.2

my computer specs are as follows:
CPU: Intel P4 1.5GHz
RAM: 256mb RDRAM
Graphics: 64mb Geforce 4 TI 4200

any ideas, guys? if u need more info pls let me know.

thx,
gildan2020

See less See more
#3 ·
yeah, it's supposed to use 100% CPU ;)

anyway, what drivers are you using for your 4200? you should be using OpenGL instead, it looks better.

also, use Eternal for sound and Peops for CDR...that should increase your overall playing experience.

#4 ·
Badaro
i'm trying to play megaman x4
the pete's d3d settings is "nice" (err, i'm sure u can figure out the rest :heh: ) on a windowed 640X480

hushypushy
my graphics card uses the nvidia forceware 61.77.
i tried OpenGL but it lagged so much. i also tried OpenGL2 and all i got is black screen with an error saying "No WGL Extensions"

btw, i switched my sound plugin to Eternal and things got a little better. i can still feel the stutter though.

gildan2020

#5 ·
>i tried OpenGL but it lagged so much.

That normaly suggests a faulty driver install. Try re-installing the drivers... maybe lower ones too, as the 6x.xx drivers are optimised for the 6xxx cards.

> i also tried OpenGL2 and all i got is black screen with an error saying "No WGL Extensions"

Disable all the PS effects and make sure the X and Y res are at 1

#6 ·
Kane-Sama said:
>i tried OpenGL but it lagged so much.

That normaly suggests a faulty driver install. Try re-installing the drivers... maybe lower ones too, as the 6x.xx drivers are optimised for the 6xxx cards.

> i also tried OpenGL2 and all i got is black screen with an error saying "No WGL Extensions"

Disable all the PS effects and make sure the X and Y res are at 1
it's faulty? but the driver is fine with normal PC games
erm, wat PS effects? i've set X and Y res as 1 already, problem still there

gildan2020

#7 ·
>it's faulty? but the driver is fine with normal PC games

Slow running in OpenGL is normally indicative of faulty driver install or using the MS built in drivers. D3D will still get some accelleration. That's why I suggest re-installing the drivers.

>erm, wat PS effects? i've set X and Y res as 1 already, problem still there

'Use pixes shader for 'PSX Texture Window' emulation', 'Shader Effects'. Make sure both of them are off. If that get's it working, be aware that leaving the 'No 'render-to-texture'' checkbox uncheked will be slow on older cards.

#8 ·
Kane-Sama said:
>it's faulty? but the driver is fine with normal PC games

Slow running in OpenGL is normally indicative of faulty driver install or using the MS built in drivers. D3D will still get some accelleration. That's why I suggest re-installing the drivers.

>erm, wat PS effects? i've set X and Y res as 1 already, problem still there

'Use pixes shader for 'PSX Texture Window' emulation', 'Shader Effects'. Make sure both of them are off. If that get's it working, be aware that leaving the 'No 'render-to-texture'' checkbox uncheked will be slow on older cards.
the pixel shader and shader effects are off by default. the 'No 'render-to-texture' is also unchecked.

wat version of nvidia driver should i use? there are too many old versions in the website

thx,
gildan2020

#9 ·
I'd reckon some 4x.xx version.

#13 ·
Those cards are more suited to the 5x.xx driver set IIRC.

#18 ·
zenogais said:
From looking here it appears to have very few WGL extensions, and most likely not the ones Pete is using as his plugin states that the extension it requires is not present. I'm not sure on the accuracy of this document, or even what extension Pete's plugin requires.
Pete's plugins require a card supporting the ARB_fragment_program extension for all Pixel Shader-related options. This means NVidia cards from the FX series onwards, and ATI cards from the 9500 onwards.

[]s Badaro

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.