Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good evening everyone,

I'm new to these particular boards, and if this is a question that has been asked and/or is trivial, my apologies. I've read through all the FAQs and the Help Sections, and went back through the three pages here and saw nothing that matched my problem, and don't know if this is the appropriate page, so posting here to see if any additional information is needed.

I've configured all the devices, video/sound/bin (scph1001), and I've got my old games that I've tried to run either via CD, or ISO, or BIN file. Every time I try to do any of the three, it instantly crashes and says ePSXe has stopped functioning or responding and forces me to close it.

Is this a common problem?

· Banned
35,081 Posts
Vista
Disable DEP.
Run As Admin
Move the folder outside of Program Files

XP
Disable DEP

Both
Get the latest plugin versions.
Download and install the MS Visual Studio 2005 SP1 runtime
Download Zlib1 and place it in the epsxe folder

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, I read your FAQ/Help section. I was hoping you'd be the one to answer.

Thank you for your post. I do have the ePSXe in a separate folder, and I downloaded the 2008 MS Visual Studio, is the 2005 one still necessary? (I used the link in your Help Post)

And may I ask, what is disable DEP?

· Banned
35,081 Posts
Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is a security feature included in modern Microsoft Windows operating systems that is intended to prevent an application or service from executing code from a non-executable memory region. This helps prevent certain exploits that store code via a buffer overflow, for example. DEP runs in two modes: hardware-enforced DEP for CPUs that can mark memory pages as nonexecutable, and software-enforced DEP with a limited prevention for CPUs that do not have hardware support. Software-enforced DEP does not protect from execution of code in data pages, but instead from another type of attack (SEH overwrite).
DEP was introduced in Windows XP Service Pack 2 and is included in Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 and later,<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-KB875352_0-0">[1]</sup> Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008, and all newer versions of Windows.
On XP you disable it by changing /noexecute to /execute in the boot.ini file (hidden file on C:\)

on Vista you need to use BCDEdit or a bootloader manager.

and yes, you need the runtime for VS2005.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, seems that DEP was the problem with the start up.

I can't thank you enough for your time with this matter.

Seems to be a problem with the speed at which some of the games run. I looked over your FAQ for that, and seems that I can't find which setting I need to disable or enable. FF Series seems to be tough for these emulators. Any suggestions, sir?

· God of Douchebagness™
15,294 Posts
post your plugin setup, a screen shot of your video plugin config, and your system specs.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd like to thank you all again for helping me with, what seems like, this trivial matter.

This is my first time with screenshots, so please stay with me. :)

I'll try it as attachments

I only have 3 plugins, one video, which is shown in the screen shot. One Sound and one CD. cdrPeops and spupeopsdsound

View attachment 204106

View attachment 204107

I think I've got a decent system. 2 GB Memory, 320 GB RAM
and an ATI Radeon X1270 (Which, I'm assuming, is my graphics card)

Does this help?

· God of Douchebagness™
15,294 Posts
your problem is likely to be caused by having the VRAM set to auto-detect, ATI users need to enter the amount manually in order to avoid performance problems. if you dont know how much your video card has, use the DXdiag utility (start>run>type "dxdiag" without the quotes), and under the display tab it will list the amount.

there is another possibility here though, if you are using an AMD dual-core CPU then it would be best to download and install the file below, it will prevent performance problems that some of their models may cause with epsxe and a few other applications.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/DCO_1.1.4.zip

· God of Douchebagness™
15,294 Posts
hmm its displaying an odd number from the looks of it for some reason, it might be taking out a part of the system memory pool for itself as well. alright just ignore that there and try using the 256MB setting in the config menu instead, thats probably close to what it is.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, 256, I can do that. Ehhh, what do I do with it?

What's odd about the number?

And what configuration and what setting needs to be changed? Are the settings fine as they are?

16 or 32 bit color, I assume I want 32?

What about the Frames thing? I'm very confused about the setttings...weren't these things supposed to be automatic? :???:

· Banned
35,081 Posts
use 32, otherwise you'll just be having the driver convert from 16 to 32 anyway.

the number shown in Dxdiag, is the system shared/physical vram + the vista shared cache.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Right, no, I understand that. (Though you did clarify it a bit for me)

I'm curious as to where I'm supposed to apply that number in the settings/configuration.

Also, I've been copying my games into either ISO/BIN.CUE/CCD files, and none of them will play.

I got FF7 from a torrent (though I do have the actual game, so it's not illegal), and that's in a BIN and CUE file format, and that plays, but the intro is obscenely long, and play is severely hampered with stalls periodically, and color is off.

How do I fix this so I can just play my games? Also, what's the ideal format for backing up games, and using them to play directly from your computer (as opposed to from the CD itself)? (I've spent the last couple hours absorbing your and others FAQs, but alot of it goes a bit over my head. Any help is greatly appreciated.

· Banned
35,081 Posts
in the gpu plugin is a setting for VRAM it generally lists 32/64/128, but you can type any value into it.

· Banned
35,081 Posts
the PSX is not emulated via PCSX2

· Banned
35,081 Posts
>.> just noticed one of your other posts.

delete the torrent and rip your own disk to the computer, Warez and torrented psx games tend to have quality issues.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Right, right...I've done that.

I tried that with Saga Frontier, in three different formats. The game doesn't even start. Well, it does, but the screen itself stays black. What's the ideal format? ISO/BIN.CUE/CCD?

What else needs to be done?

(Also, the VRAM setting was on 0 (Auto), but changed it to the max at 512, does it make a difference?)

· Banned
35,081 Posts
the best image formats are those that contain RAW data, so CCD, Alcohol and Nero's NRG are the best.

What sound plugin are you using, and is sound enabled?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.