Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I know you guys have probably been bombarded with these kinds of questions year after year, but I don't think the FAQ can help me out with this one. I need someone to tell me what to change in my plugin settings. So here goes.

ePSXe is kind of weird with my computer. I've had XP Home, Vista Premium, and 7 Ultimate installed on it, and it's blazing fast with XP, OK with Vista, and SLLLOOWWWW with Windows 7. I really really like Windows 7, so I'm intent on sticking with it, but ePSXe has relentless slowdown, particularly on games like GT2. It doesn't make any sense! 7 is supposed to be faster than Vista. I've tried turning off Aero, closing unused programs, etc, but it's always slower than Vista. My computer should have more than enough power to run ePSXe full speed on all 3 operating systems.

Here are the specs:

Dell Inspiron 1420
C2D T5750 2.0 GHz
250GB HDD
Intel GMA X3100
3GB DDR2 RAM

And here are my current plugin settings:

Plugin: Pete's DX6 D3D Driver 1.1.77
Author: Pete Bernert
GFX card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - Prerelease WDDM 1.1)

Resolution/Color:
- 1280x800 Fullscreen - [32 Bit]

Textures:
- R8G8A8A8
- Filtering: 4
- Hi-Res textures: 0
- VRam size: 0 MBytes

Framerate:
- FPS limit: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 4
- Framebuffer texture: 3
- Framebuffer access: 4
- Alpha multipass: on
- Mask bit: off
- Advanced blending: hardware

Misc:
- Scanlines: off [0]
- Unfiltered FB: off
- Dithering: off
- Screen smoothing: off
- Full vram: on
- Game fixes: off [00000000]

Now I understand that's a pretty intense plugin configuration, but I've changed the Compatibility and Textures categories to the lowest possible configuration, and the lag has still been present. In fact, I don't think the lag changed a bit.

All discs I ripped were crystal clear, and ripped using the CCD/IMG/SUB technique, the most accurate disk image format available. Of course it's possible that something could have gone wrong, I highly doubt it because ePSXe is lagging on a lot of other games, too. Mostly driving games and some 3D platformers.

One more thing to note here is that I don't want anything to happen to my precious, PS2-like graphics. Pete's DX6 D3D Driver is awesome and I know my computer can handle it.

Oh! Yes, ONE MORE thing. Performance is no different in Pete's D3D. It's almost like D3D and DX6 D3D are the same plugin. Switching to P.E.Op.S Soft GPU results in outstanding speed with no lag in sight, but I can't stand the ugly, pixellated visuals the plugin produces.:dead:

· Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
Yep. The drivers are still in their infancy, give it some time and they'll improve. In the meantime you may just have to suffer with software rendering ;)

· No sir, I don't like it.
7,022 Posts
Yes, well speaking of which, you could try uninstalling your current video drivers and install the latest Vista drivers for your video card.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Okay, I installed my Vista video driver, but that resulted in a BSOD. Fortunately I was able to start Windows normally as the driver had already been installed (but the installer wasn't completely finished). I started ePSXe, but it went even slower. I rolled back the driver and now everything is back to normal. ePSXe runs at the speed it used to...but now I'm left wondering what to do. I could try updating the driver instead...

Crap. It's the latest version. I thought it told me something about a video driver update earlier...

Well I guess I'll just have to wait until Windows 7 is actually released...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.