Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ePSXe is randomly freezing for me in every game I've tried. Happens after about 45-90 minutes. I don't get any logs from it. I'm using ISO. I've tried multiple Video and Audio plugins. Different versions of ePSXe. Updated my drivers. Even gone as far as trying a different bios. Nothing works. Can't even get a log out of it.

Getting sick of having to Save State every couple minutes just so I don't l lose a lot of time in the game.

Athlon 64 3000+
Asus A8N-SLI
Radeon X700 Pro
512 MB Ram

Anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
If the emu freezes your OS as well, I suggest:
-NOT overclocking your CPU and graphics card
-cleaning ALL the fans in your PC
-add fans, it's summer!

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Very weird, I have no clue on what it could be then :(

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Yeah, also make absolutely certain that your graphics card isn't overclocked. Mine was being really stubborn about it (it wouldn't freeze, but it ran very slowly). Actually, just having the nVidia overclocking utility installed was throwing it off, even running at stock frequencies. I noticed you also have a pretty demanding CPU, so make certain it's got good cooling. What happens when you play other games for extended periods of time? Have you tried reinstalling ePSXe, or using another version?

This really does sound like an overheating issue of at least some sort, but since you indicated otherwise, I honestly wouldn't know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I really doubt it's overheating. I can play Half-Life 2 and UT2K4 for hours with no issues whatsoever. Half-Life 2 is very demanding on the CPU from all the physics so yeah, really doubt it's my CPU overheating.

I get full frames on the highest settings *and yes I've tried the lowest also* with not a single lost frame in all the games I've tried, up until the point where it just freezes and the sound loops. Then I just Ctrl+Alt+Del, force ePSXe to close and start it back up.

I've left it running for upwards of 10 minutes in the frozen state and it never recovered. Can't think of any other info.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Well, not sure if it would help, but have you tried other versions of ePSXe, or simply reinstalling it altogether? Have you tried any different plugins?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dunno what good it is. But Here they are. Currently setup for LoD.

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.6
Author: Pete Bernert
Card vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
GFX card: RADEON X700 PRO x86/MMX/3DNow!/SSE2

Resolution/Color:
- 1280x1024 Fullscreen - NO desktop changing
- Internal X resolution: 1
- Internal Y resolution: 2
- Keep psx aspect ratio: off
- No render-to-texture: off

- Filtering: 4
- Hi-Res textures: 2
- TexWin pixel shader: off
- VRam size: 0 MBytes

Framerate:
- FPS limitation: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 1
- Framebuffer effects: 2
- Framebuffer uploads: 1

Misc:
- Scanlines: off
- Mdec filter: on
- Screen filtering: on
- Shader effects: 1/1
- Flicker-fix border size: 0
- GF4/XP crash fix: off
- Game fixes: on [00000001]

SPU is using DirectSound, SPUasync set to smooth. Tried basically all the options to see if it fixed it, nothing.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I do hope you mean you used savestates to try REMEDY the problem. Otherwise, (if you've used (loaded from) them before it crashing), they might very well be the problem.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,979 Posts
tried a different emulator like PSXeven?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, I have found a fix to my issue's but that brought up deeper issues. Turning off all audio hardware acceleration fixed the problem of the freezing. But now when it's time for epsxe to free the sound gets "clicky" easily toleratable. But after a couple more hours the sound switches to an even worse "clicky" state where the sound is very distorted and partially repeats itself.

Anybody have any clues what could be causing this? I'm using Realtek ALC850 sound.

Eternal SPU 1.41

Direct Sound, Buffer size 64

SPUasync Smooth

Reverb: Off

I THINK I have tried Peops Direct Sound 1.9 and it froze too but I can't be positive. I will try it again.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,979 Posts
are your drivers updated?

try thread mode. also change the buffer to see what results you get.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts