Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Haven't posted in a long time. I rediscovered my copy of Legend of Dragoon today. I wanted to make ISOs for it using Alcohol 120%. It turns out, my trial expired months ago (haven't used it since then). So I uninstalled it and installed Alcohol 52% (the free version). I created an ISO following what one of the guides here says, but the ISO won't work. I told it to create it in playstation format. When I select "open ISO" it just displays the blank open window but doesn't continue even if you wait for several minutes. I created ISOs of Final Fantasy 9 that work when I had Alcohol 120%. I have also tried creating ISOs with IsoBuster and CloneCD (using the game cd option).

Does anyone know how to get this to work?

Nevermind. I did some more searching on the forums here and found that some people had to use the PAL version of the PSX bios to make the game work. It seems to be working fine now. I'll report back if I have any problems.

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
does the game work when being run from the disc? what other formats did you try?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok first problems - there was no sound in the opening FMV. There is sound on the main menu and in the game though. Also, ePSXe is drawing green lines around things in the game. In the opening scene when Rose was watching the green dragon, there are a few green lines around trees in the background. In the first village there are borders around doors and background items. Here are my system specs.

Plugins
Sound: ePSXe SPU core 1.5.2
Video: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.8
Bios: PAL version

System (Dell Inspiron 9100 circa 2004)
CPU: circa 2004 Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz
RAM: 1 GB
Video: ATI Radeon 9700 mobile 128 MB
Sound: Soundblaster integrated something

Screenshot of greenish lines

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
can you post a screen shot of your OGL2 config? what version of epsxe are you using for this, 1.5.2?

·
Registered
363 Posts
first problems - there was no sound in the opening FMV
this problem probably related to your disc image.
use magicISO or imgburn instead and create a bin/cue image.
never create ISO image for PS1 backup

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
have you tried changing the plugins that you are using, to see if that makes a difference.

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
no sound in FMVs can also be caused by not having XA sound enabled in the SPU menu.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
XA is not an option in 1.7, its enabled by default now.

Bad rip is where im leaning tooo...

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
i was under the assumption he was using 1.5.2 since that is the spu core version he says is in use.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I created a ccd/img/sub image using Alcohol 52%. Should that be ok? The game runs fine so I think the image is good. I'll try creating an image using magicISO when I have some time after Christmas.

Yes jonc2006, I am using ePSXe 1.5.2. I have to use this version in order to make Final Fantasy 9 work.

There isn't any sound in the main menu FMV either (you know if you don't touch anything when you open the game it plays this intro). I changed the sound plugin from ePSXe SPU core 1.5.2 to PEOPS DSound Audio Driver 1.9, but that didn't make a difference.

Here is a screenshot of my OpenGL 2.8 settings (sorry about the crappy MS Paint screenshot, I don't know why it has the big white space).

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll get back to you about it.

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
just in case you are not aware- FF9 works on 1.7.0 as well, only 1.6.0 has serious problems with it (this also applies to CC).

anyway, you will probably need to adjust your settings for the OGL2 a bit, some of the ones you have now are a little too much for your video card imo.

i think you should find out if the image really is the source of the problem or not first before messing with your plugin setup. the best way to do this would be to try it on another emulator like psx and see if the same thing occurs. if it does, the image itself might play a role in your issue. if it doesnt, then you probably just need to adjust your settings like i said earlier.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
FF9 has issues in 1.7.0 if the disk has quality issues (however the same problem applies to 1.5.2 and 1.6.0, so if it doesn't work in them, it won't work in 1.7.0)

For games that come from scratched CD's, i recommend ripping, patching and using Sapu CDR since it ignores such read issues.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the best way to do this would be to try it on another emulator like psx and see if the same thing occurs. if it does, the image itself might play a role in your issue. if it doesnt, then you probably just need to adjust your settings like i said earlier.
I upgraded from 1.5.2 to 1.7.0 and the FMV sound problem is fixed. There is sound on the main menu now too. I copied my plugins and memory card files over and everything works. I tried using the psx emulator but it didn't want to play my Legend of Dragoon images (it worked with FF9 though). Now I am changing settings for my plugins to get rid of the green lines problem. At least the game is playable now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts