Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I started playing FF8 again in August. But since I have my games with me and my PS2 at home I decided to emulate it for now. Anyways college comes and I study ;) I finally finished yesterday and wanted to load it up again. Yet this time EPSXE does not work.

I can load it up fine, select plugs and things of that variety, but I cannot get it to play the game. I tried ISOing the Disc, I tried loading it as an iso, loading it through the ISO-Drivers, mounting it with Daemon Tools, etc. etc. I change my plugins to simple ones with no special effects; and I haven't messed with my PC configuration in a while.

On top of ALLL this, I tried loading just the BIOS today to see if I can get that to work, and it displays beautifully with sound. But why can't I play now :(

I don't normally use windows, I use Linux but for some reason in Linux I couldn't get it to play nice. I would get a similar (probably unrelated problem ;) ) problem where it loads up but crashes each time. I was thinking about X for a while if that was the problem (Ubuntu here) or something with the nvidia module but since Cedega will play WOW perfectly I don't think that is the problem ;) Oh I do get some weird output in bash but I can't remeber it atm I'll check it later and update incase anyone can actually help me out

Anyways any ideas on how to solve the problems? I know I'm very close to the end of that first disk so I reallly want to be able to get addicted again

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
well i dont know anything about linux so i cant help you there, but i can help ya with windows.

what did you make the ISO with?

what are your computer's specs, i'll recommend you some plugins to use.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Try to make a Clone CD image (using Alcohol 120%) and don't mount it, but use Mooby's Image plugin instead, and select 'Load ISO' to play the game. This works fine for me all the time :)

·
Registered
654 Posts
Cid, "Load ISO" doesn't care what CDR plugin you've got configured. It uses ePSXe's internal ISO support. Oh, and the Linux version of ePSXe doesn't support CDR plugins - only its own CDR support works at all.

Dan

P.S. To verify what I've told you, move the Mooby plugin somewhere where ePSXe can't find it, then do the "Load ISO'. You'll see there's no difference.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
i see no difference between mooby's and load ISO anyway :p

cid highwind: i hope you realize that to use mooby's plugin, you have to go to Run CD

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Really, why didn't you guys tell me earlier? :p

"because you didn't ask" D'Oh

Anyway, I just use that option all the time and it works fine, would using a different plugin and a virtual cdrom drive give better compatibility or speed?

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
so far i dont think it's been proven that there is a performance difference between mooby's/mounting an image/using run ISO, so who knows.

however, you cant get CDDA from run ISO, but you can get it from mooby's or mounting the image (provided you have a cue file).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hushypushy said:
well i dont know anything about linux so i cant help you there, but i can help ya with windows.

what did you make the ISO with?

what are your computer's specs, i'll recommend you some plugins to use.
This is what should be relevant

2200+
Geforce 4 Ti4800 (yay for rebagded 4200s ;))
1 gig ram
nforce2 chipset

Anyways it worked fine before...I just can't get it to play now!

Ironic thing is that I tried loading up the bios in Linux since I haven't done that...and it WORKS! Garr why can't I get ANY games to work (This isn't just ff8 guys) :hdbash:

Oh might I add, in Linux everything seems to initialize fine. The output from running the bios vs loading a game is the same, but the game just hangs

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One last thing, like I stated it worked perfectly. I had settings on very high and I was very impressed. The only things that have changed is that I got a DVD Burner (lol which I never use, waste of money ;) ) and a new moniter

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
so i'd suggest using ePSXe 1.5.2, Pete's OpenGL1.76, Eternal 1.41 with default settings and the FF8 special game fix, and if you're going to play off CD, peops CDR.

for general games, just use the nice preset on Pete's, but for FF8, hmm, im not sure...you can use OGL2 with this config

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hushypushy said:
so i'd suggest using ePSXe 1.5.2, Pete's OpenGL1.76, Eternal 1.41 with default settings and the FF8 special game fix, and if you're going to play off CD, peops CDR.

for general games, just use the nice preset on Pete's, but for FF8, hmm, im not sure...you can use OGL2 with this config
No cigar, EPSXE 1.52 with what you listed doesn't work...:hdbash:

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
so what do you mean doesn't work? come on, work with me here.

does your PC explode when you use it? you get a black screen? it runs slow? bad graphics? wont even start? crashes?

what drivers are you using? i would suggest Omega's Drivers in perhaps the 45.xx flavor for your graphics card.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.