Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I love ePSXe and this message is only to try to help the emu be better.

Does anyone else think ePSXe does memory card management rather strangely? I mean, the whole save states and memory card overwriting is quite confusing. I don't understand why the save states just DON'T save any memory card info, and then you only save to the memory card when you want to. I mean that is how other emu's for SNES do it. You don't really even have to use memory cards very much.

Also, using ePSXecutor, it seems you can't name memory cards what you want, you must always use the epsxe00x names. Why can't you create a card called ff9.mcr and simply use that card for ff9 saves, it seems it would make much more sense to have each game be able to configure separate memory cards. I mean when you create a game configuration, when you go to its "quick configure" it should have one tab for memory cards where you can use any cards and card names you want.

Perhaps even, a new folder could be created in your ePSXe folder for each game config, and there the saves and memory cards could be placed, I think that would be easier than having a huge folder of saved states with strange SLUS names. Basically this requires integrating ePSXecutor into ePSXe, basically, remove the ePSXe GUI and make it the ePSXcutor GUI, I don't know why this isn't how it is already...using ePSXecutor is the only accpetable way.

What do others think? All I know, is for a while ePSXe would just update my epsxe000.mcr card even when I would load a saved state. But now I made a new card to use, and it won't update when I save and the temp cards aren't created either...is it just buggy or what?

Also, even the options like disabling sound and MDECs, even that should be able to be configured for each game, since some games you might not want sound or MDECs. Basically, the main GUI should only have options like save state, load state, and exit, and then the rest of the options should be configured in each seperate game config.

So anyway, it seems there is a MUCH simplier way of doing memory card handling and the GUi stuff in general. Just an idea for the new version.

·
Lost in Time
2,289 Posts
First off, as i recall, ePSXe, from version 1.4, does not save temp memcards with savestates anymore. It was causing much trouble with some people (me too).
Second, ePSXecutor is a front end, not a emu addon, so it can't be integrated into the emu (i think) and has some bugs to be worked on... It sometimes even cause errors on ePSXe or can be loved by some people as the only way to run it on their computers so I'll not be too harsh on it.
Third, you should check the file for the memcard you're using to look if it is in read-only, maybe that's why it not being updated. If it's not then ePSXe might have a bug in the registry or something, so you must delete it and reconfigure ePSXe again...(it could be dangerous to mess with the registry if you don't know it very well, so I don't recomend)

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Well, first off, to be fair, I've used neither ePSXecutor (only used it to disable/enable MDEC) nor savestates, so my comments might be somewhat inaccurate.

However, you are able to enable/disable MDEC and/or sound for each separate game configuration. At least I've done it for the MDEC. The first time I tried ePSXEcutor, I actually tried 2 configs: one with everything turned on (MDEC, Sound, etc etc), and the other is the plain vanilla config (no mdec no sound etc etc).

Also, without using ePSXecutor, you can create memcards with any names you want. Just use ePSXe directly.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks

·
Lost in Time
2,289 Posts
Hi, Canadian friend! Yeah, you can use ePSXecutor to change settings like MDECs and quick configure the emu for a particular game. But I don't like it, it mess up with ePSXe (in registry) in a way that you'll need to use it everytime. And being tied with something isn't my stile at all... :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Both of you have good points. It is true ePSXecutor is only a frontend and can mess stuff up, but I am saying it might have benefits to make the normal ePSXe more like the frontend, meaning individual game configs. I will try not using ePSXecutor and just use ePSXe from now on, but still the whole memory card issue is confusing...

·
Lost in Time
2,289 Posts
Well, you can work around that by using batch files, reg files and stuff like that to configure ePSXe instantly without the need for the frontend, although it would be annoying to create such things for every game... (Yes, i'm a lazy guy. Not much though)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts