Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently decided to play some good old Playstation games with ePSXe after about a month of not using it. Without touching any settings, I loaded up a game using what was once a perfectly working video/sound/etc. plugin configuration. Then I ran into a slight problem: every game I load up runs extremely slow, far beyond the realm of unplayability.

What's funny is that I didn't change anything; all of my settings were in the same state I had left them in, which at that time resulted in perfectly playable games. It hasn't been that long since I've used the program either - maybe a month or so. In that time, ePSXe resided peacefully in the same place on my hard drive as it always did, completely untouched.

I've tried a variety of plugins set up with different configurations, but every combination seems to result in the same thing. I even tried installing ePSXe from scratch - bios, plugins, and all - to another directory on another hard drive, but to no avail.

Can anyone explain what is going on? Does anyone know how a perfectly good setup can go bad in a month's time of just sitting there? I just want to play my Playstation games. :(

I would really appreciate any help in solving this matter, and thank anyone and everyone willing to help.

Thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
spyware, virii, and anti-virus programs, as well as any other recently installed programs that may be running in the background: also any changes in drivers and suchlike as well may have significant impact on system performance.
may all be fairly obvious, but no info on your system specs/OS was given.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I currently have an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ processor, an ATI Radeon 9600XT video card, 1024 MB DDR 400 RAM, and two Maxtor 7200 RPM hard drives with 8 MB cache. I'm running Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 2.

I don't think my system is the problem here, as it seems to be more than adequate to run the emulator. I also only have a total of 3 applications running in the background - my Anti-Virus, IM client, and sound card mixer. In total, they consume only 32 MB of RAM.

Again, I don't think this is the problem, especially since I was running these same programs the last time I used a working ePSXe.

I thought it may have been my video card drivers, so I reinstalled the same ones I was using when ePSXe last worked. Still nothing. Aside from that, nothing on my system has changed since ePSXe last worked.

I really appreciate the help, and apologize for not clearing this up earlier.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I see you've said some about what your computer has as far as hardware and antivirus software, I don't know what level of expertise you have, but you need to get a anti-spyware software. Some names for some good software that are free are Spybot Search & Destroy, Ad-Aware SE Personal. They will do wonders for your computer, which I'm sure is loaded with spyware if you haven't done anything about it. One of the greatest tools I use (free to try 29.95 to buy, 15 day trial) is Giant AntiSpyware. Try downloading and running the free ones to see if you have some problems. If you know all about what I've just said well then maybe it has to do with SP2 for Windows XP. I'm not sure as to the compatibility of ePSXe with SP2 as I refuse to 'update' to SP2, I do know that SP2 has MAJOR compatibility issues.

If anyone is running ePSXe with SP2 installed please post it and what plugins your using and if you notice a difference in ePSXe performance, that way everyone can see what may or may not be compatible. (maybe that should be a sticky ;) ).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have you know that my computer is one of the cleanest in existance. :)

In all seriousness, I have just about all the tools you mentioned and more. Anti-virus, anti-spyware, registry purgers, defraggers, disk cleaners, memory optimizers - I've got them all.

It's sad that most people keep their computers in such bad shape that one must consider that when diagnosing a problem. Trust me, my system is in tip-top shape. Obsessive compulsive disorder transfers over to my computer as well, it seems.

As for the problem, it seems I've fixed it. How? I just switched over to Pete's D3D plugin. I can't explain how it worked, as it wasn't working the last time I tried. It also doesn't explain why Pete's OpenGL plugin no longer works for me.

Oh well, I guess I'll just stick with this until it goes bad too.

As always, thanks for putting effort into helping me out.

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
have you tried OGL2? you can get a pretty good boost in IQ using it, especially since you have that 9600XT (shaders!)

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
I'm running ePSXe on SP2, plugins: pete's d3d 1.75, eternal spu 1.41, peops cdr, using psx to pc usb adapter with dual shock, no difference at all (since win xp and xp with sp1) my gfx card drivers - forceware 61.xx :)

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
Use ATI uninstaller to ensure the driver's been completely wiped out. Do it in safe mode, just in case. Then, install a previous driver set, like 4.8 or so. It's not the first time i read latest cats are giving some headaches with ePSXe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update!

It seems the problem did lie with my video card drivers. Any ePSXe plugin using OpenGL refuses to work with the latest versions of the Omega Drivers and DNA Drivers. Unfortunately, the plugins only cooperate with the official ATI Catalyst drivers.

As long as ePSXe is working properly, I have no complaints. Perhaps this information should be noted in a sticky?

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
I experienced it too with my 9600XT. Apperently, the Omegas don't like OGL plugins.. I couldn't even use GLn64 with them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hya, I've been having the same problem as the original poster, and im clueless what to do.

My System:

amd 2500+
1,5 gb ram
Gf4 ti 4200
Nforce2 mobo chipset.
Dx9.0c
Windows xp (sp1)

Plenty of free space and troughly cleaned by anti spyware programs.

--

I always enjoyed playing old psx games on my pc, they always ran extremely smooth in my desktop resolution 1280x1024. However I didnt touch the emulater for a while untill I wanted to give a few games another go a few weeks later.

Sadly I'm only getting very mediocore / bad performance with my games now , pc is hardly managing 640x480 with almost all the settings minimized.

My guess is I installed/upgraded some system driver but I don't know what ;/ I've repeatedly upgraded my graphical card drivers during this period, and that sadly has not fixed my problems. Only thing I can think about is a format which is alot of hassle, yet if the problem is a system driver its likely I'll run into the same problem again. It would help to find out what driver exactly is causing the problems, but I've yet to find out ;/

-G

--
updraded today to the latest nforce and gforce drivers , noticed a small improvement with a few games, yet none are running 'as good' as before I started to be effected by this major performance loss ;/

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sadly I've found the problem , turned out 2 of my ram 'slots' were not working correctly any longer. Removed the ram from those 2 broken slots and everything runs as fast as it did before, upgrading to a different motherboard this weekend tho ;/

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
Seshiru said:
Update!

It seems the problem did lie with my video card drivers. Any ePSXe plugin using OpenGL refuses to work with the latest versions of the Omega Drivers and DNA Drivers. Unfortunately, the plugins only cooperate with the official ATI Catalyst drivers.

As long as ePSXe is working properly, I have no complaints. Perhaps this information should be noted in a sticky?
That's odd, I'm currently using Omega's 4.10 beta drivers and Pete's OpenGL and OpenGL2 plugins work great.

·
Registered
135 Posts
try 'ePSXe registry clean' ..........sometimes the settings screw up........use this to reset them .........

i had similar probs , and it helped me

s8n

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've never heard of this program before. Pray tell, where may I find it?

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
well, that's useless advice. "use some program no one has ever heard of" and when someone asks you ask em to just google it on their own....nice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts