Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed ePSXe yesterday, copied the dll, got the bios/plugins/etc/etc..

Games run fine, I CAN play, but when I close ePSXe I always get an error message from Windows (Vista) saying that ePSXe has stopped working.

I looked at the problem history and this is what I found:

Product
ePSXe.exe

Problem
Stopped working

Date
6/5/2009 5:19 AM

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: ePSXe.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 483816fa
Fault Module Name: StackHash_20da
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386
Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bdf8
Exception Code: c0000374
Exception Offset: 000aa0fb
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 20da
Additional Information 2: 0feefa1c7e359e41008f80915dfde8bf
Additional Information 3: 6842
Additional Information 4: 096e9751cb6faa7885ba9ce00d348304
I am using an administrator account, and I've tried running it in Win XP compatibility mode but that didn't fix anything.

How can this problem be solved?

Thanks in advance.

·
God of Douchebagness™
15,294 Posts
how do you exit the emulator when you want to stop playing?

·
God of Douchebagness™
15,294 Posts
where do you have epsxe stored on your hard drive?

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
and how are you starting the emulator?

open up the emulators properties and enable the always run in admin privaledges tick box on the compatibility tab.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The files are stored in a folder on my secondary hard drive (E:\Games\epsxe170).

And I'm starting the emulator by clicking a shortcut to the exe.
If I open the properties of the exe, I can't check the admin privileges box, it's grayed out. Maybe because I'm using an administrator account?

·
God of Douchebagness™
15,294 Posts
try running it straight from the executable rather than via shortcut. also make sure you do the file>exit method when you shut down the emulator for this test.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tried running it by right clicking the exe and selecting "Run as Administrator", ran it by just double clicking the exe and I tried closing it down with file/exit.

None of it seemed to make any difference.

I also tried deleting everything and downloading it all again, didn't fix it.

·
God of Douchebagness™
15,294 Posts
is your version of vista up to date? did you install the SP2 that was released a few weeks ago by any chance?

·
Numbers Guy
175 Posts
I've been following this thread because I keep getting this problem, too. I thought it was par for the course considering it doesn't actually affect anything, but apparently it's not the norm. (And I could have sworn I've been down this road of trying to figure it out before...)

FYI, I always run ePSXe 1.7 as an admin directly from the executable and close the emulator with File > Exit. All of my files are in a User folder. I always have DEP disabled. I just installed SP2 a few hours ago.

No changes... :(

I've been looking through the Event Viewer to see if I can find what's responsible and almost every single time the faulting module is ntdll.dll. It happens regardless of whether that dll is in the ePSXe folder.

·
God of Douchebagness™
15,294 Posts

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
give the epsxe directory full security permissions for the EVERYONE usergroup (you may have to add it)

also is the zlib1.dll in your epsxe folder?

·
Numbers Guy
175 Posts
Hmm, I added the Everyone usergroup to the permissions and gave it full permissions; that did nothing.

I have zlib1.dll in my ePSXe folder; I made sure to download that from the zlib1.dll fix sticky. I also copied it to my System32 folder; that did nothing.

Reinstalling ePSXe did nothing, either.

Hmm, let me try a restart and then Startup Repair...

Restart? No
Startup Repair? No

Windows Memory Diagnostics? No

Well, I'm out of ideas. This isn't a big deal, anyway. I'm not about to reinstall Windows over this.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
are you running an antivirus?

·
Numbers Guy
175 Posts
...Norton. ><

But I managed to shut that down as well as my anti-spyware, Webroot, and nothing changed. I also stopped all of the Symantec services and tried it, but it still happens.

Note: This only happens when I run a game, not when I run the BIOS.

·
God of Douchebagness™
15,294 Posts
have you played around with different display drivers yet?

·
Numbers Guy
175 Posts
I probably should; my current one has the tendency to crash on me when I'm running ePSXe. I think it only happens with Pete's D3D plugin, though (the OpenGLs are too slow/ugly from what I remember), and I can't remember if it's happened since I switched to GSdx. I think the crashes are more likely because the AC adapter I'm using wasn't made by Toshiba; I've been meaning to get a proper replacement for it.

In any case, my graphics driver options are pretty limited. AMD doesn't support the card anymore so I have to get drivers from Toshiba. Plus, Toshiba only has three versions available; I'm not sure where I could begin to find more if they exist.

Well, I'll tinker around with them and see if I make any progress.

Huh, I uninstalled the current driver and tried to install the other two, but nothing actually installed with either one. Were they supposed to be mere updates and not full-fledged drivers? I don't know...

Hmm, something as small as this issue shouldn't be worth this much trouble. No wonder I stopped trying to figure it out the last time I found a thread on this problem...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.