Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
I'm cool.
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The main PC I am testing this on is a PIII 1GHZ w/ a Matrox Millenium G450 Dual Head & 256mb ram

The plugins I am using are the latest versions of Pete's DX6 D3D Driver & Pete's Soft Driver.

WIth Pete's DX6 D3D Driver:

Full Screen Mode 1024x768 resolution 32 Bit
Texture Quality: R8 G8 B8 A8 Filtering: 4. Extended w/out sprites, unfiltered 2D
Caching Type: Dynamic, FPS is on Auto Detect
Offscreen Drawing: 4. Extended
Advanced Blending: 2. Hardware
Framebuffer Textures: 2. Gfx Card Buffer, Alpha Multipasss, and Mask Bit are checked. All the misc stuff is unchecked.

WIth this I get great looking 3D stuff, everything thats made out of polygons looks great, however the 2D backgrounds in games like FF9 & Legend Of Dragoon look awful, they seem low res , and dont look very detalied.

With Pete's Soft Driver:

Full Screen Mode 1024x768 resolution 32 Bit, Auto Detect FPS, and standard scanlines enabled.

With this I get great looking baclgrounds, high res, they just look beatiful, however the 3D objects are a mess, characters look like like they are very low res.

What I want is to have nice backgrounds, and nice 3D graphics at the same time, are there any settings I can change on any of these 2 plugins to make them display high res 2D backgrounds & nice 3D gfx ??

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Well just try filtering w/ sprites that time...
If u think it s great, keep it.

(if u can t bear the tile effect tough, try the scanlines.)
BTW, i ve heard (didn t check yet) that if u change the texel alignement to the upper number, the tiles should be less noticeable...

bye

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Originally posted by Kazuya
Um, why aren't you using the pete's opengl driver? Works best with most games......
well here what i ve read from the epsxe FAQ:

Now here's a list for the best plugins for the most popular graphic cards :
3Dfx Voodoo 2 --> Lewpy Glide plugin (could crash with certain drivers)
3Dfx Voodoo 3 --> Pete D3D DirectX7 plugin
3Dfx Voodoo 5 --> Pete D3D DirectX7 or Lewpy Glide plugin
ATI Radeon --> Pete's OpenGL plugin
ATI Rage 128 / Expert --> Pete D3D DirectX7 plugin
Geoforce 2 / 256 --> Pete's OpenGL plugin
Matrox G200 / G400 --> Pete D3D DirectX6 plugin
NVidia TNT/TNT2 --> Pete's OpenGL plugin
... the rest --> Pete D3D DirectX7 plugin

bye

·
I'm cool.
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I set it up like yours, and now the 2D stuff looks better, however, it still doesnt look as good as with Pete's Soft Driver, but this is playable enough for me. Thanx.

BTW, do you know where I can get a good Freeware or Shareware BMP to JPG converter so I can post some pictures?

·
Registered
51 Posts
i have almost the same spec as u realityX (except i have a G400 not a G450) and i understand ur issue on graphics. my only concern is the black lines on the background and the speech boxes. is there any solution on the black line on the speech boxes?? Pete's soft GPU seems to fix this (scanlines turned on) but i don't want to use pete's soft driver GPU. btw openGL GPU's are the worse on my matrox G400.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hello All,

ePSXe was great since it introduce the plugin system, and thanks Pete for all the great plugins.

The best quailty Soft plugin was Pete and Kazzuya's, D3D was Pete and Segu, others still need to work harder!

And then I found that some screen glitches was caused by the emulator itself (e.g. Hokuto no Ken, that is Fist of the North Star), let's wait for the next release.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Originally posted by RealityX
BTW, do you know where I can get a good Freeware or Shareware BMP to JPG converter so I can post some pictures?
Well you could try the programs that rargh and enigma suggested, but what I do is just open a .bmp in MS Paint and then I go to save as and I tell it to save as a .jpg and it works fine.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Originally posted by RealityX

WIth this I get great looking 3D stuff, everything thats made out of polygons looks great, however the 2D backgrounds in games like FF9 & Legend Of Dragoon look awful, they seem low res , and dont look very detalied.
FFIX and Legend of Dragoon both have special fixes, you need them so they can work.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts