Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I did register just to ask a question, sue me. Yes I did a search first. So here goes:

Emu/Plugin versions:
ePSXe 1.4.0
GPU: Pete's OGL 1.51
SPU: Null2's DS 1.35
CD: ePSXe 1.4.0 built in
PAD: ePSXe 1.4.0 built in

Alternate tested plugins:
GPU: Pete's Software 1.51, Lewpy's Glide 1.33
SPU: ePSXe 1.4.0 built in, Pete's DS 1.10
CD: Pete's ASPI CDR Plugin 1.5

And with all of them except for Pete's software (which could be due to a lack of extensive testing), ePSXe freezes my whole system (specs in sig) about 2/3 of the time when it exits. And while one workaround is to alt-tab out of the emu and then kill it, it's not a very good one (better than the system freezing though). Anyone have any idea? It's quite frustrating. Btw, I've noticed it more when I don't have a valid CD in the drive (Audio CDs work, but no cd and pc cds both seem to cause ePSXe to choke), even when I'm simply running a psx-exe demo, like main or the zelda demo. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
91 Posts
heheheh...

coming out of recluse to answer you then :p

you have a 3dfx card. so the main gpu you should be using is either lewpy's or pete's d3d plugin. nothing else. best speeds guaranteed.

other reasons why epsxe doesn't work for you could be outdated drivers, incorrect seetings in your plugins and bad system dlls.

other than those reasons, the specs you posted are fine if you use it to run epsxe. for more indepth help, post your config settings of the plugins. try to tell us the game you are trying to run also. it may require special tweaking to get it to work.

one word of friendly advise :p . it is fine registering just to ask a question but staying would enrich your experiences with epsxe immensely. hope to see you ard.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, as it turns out, I got a copy of Legend of Mana, and now it doesn't freeze at all! It appears to be a bug in the demo and bios playing alone, the cds play great. As for not using the OGL plugin, it works great for me, the V5 supports OpenGL very nicely. I'm going to try Lewpy's again, because I'm sure 16bit color won't make a huge difference on PSX games. However, as for system config, I can assure you that the system settings are nearly perfect, it's all the newest drivers over a fresh (about two months old fresh) Win98SE install. no worries there. Looks like just just a bug in the PSX-exe and bios run code, go figure. And if any other newbies come looking, and don't know if you want to try this out with a real PSX game if it freezes on exit all the time, well, now you know. I hope I'm right about this, anyway. Thanks for the reply, sunstorm.

·
&-)---|--<
8,586 Posts
The voodoo 5 supports 32 bit color in glide...... but it doesn't really make a lot of difference in psx games which most games use 16 bit color anyways.... I did notice a little difference with MGS playing in 16 then 32 bit color... You can force 32 bit color on ogl/glide programs through your 3dfx tools hub..... I used to have a similar problem with epsxe freezing my sytem when exiting.... The solution: I used epsxe executor, no more crashes....

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've the same problem.. u press esc and... errrrk sys blocked!
i guess is something in the drivers acuse i tried also all the plugins with the same result... (with all epsxe versions)

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I have a duron 900 and voodoo5 PCI, and can attest to the fact that yes, Pete's open GL plugin runs very well (In some games it is faster than lewpy's glide). The only problem I have with it is that, like the d3d plugin, slows down terribly when any kind of effects are turned on (I know the reason why, but pete stated there was no easy way to fix it). With the openGL plugin lacking the option to turn off page flipping (The d3d plugin has it) I can't even get the effects to run at half speed.
I don't know if they have or haven't already but my suggestion would be that Pete and Lewpy confer on the Framebuffer, Full Vram thing... With lewpy's glide plugin effects, unless they are using multiple effects like swirl and fades at the same time, almost always run at full speed.
Maybe both pete and lewpy would benifiet or see errors(or optimazations) that the other may not have thought of.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
dpence, Pete and Lewpy do converse about their plugins. They give each other ideas and all. This also happens with emulators. I often see updates of AdriPSX where the author has said thanks to another emu author for ideas(this is just an example). Thats why the emulators and plugins are already as good as they are.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts