Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
it's at 1x, and I'm still having black screen issues?
try: (a) the version 2.0.5 [last version], (b) use real bios [disable hle bios], (c) use only native plugins [ePSXe GPU Core 2.0.0 is very good], (d) close all browsers [I don't know why sometimes they hang my emulators], (e) try to force reboot your machine [close everything, then cmd: shutdown -r -t 5], (f) post here your results!

cheers!

·
Registered
374 Posts
then, please try the native: Pete's OpenGL2 GPU core 2.0.0. with this settings:
Text Font Document

the "render mode" option is the most important in this case. it usually the one that make black screens on some machines.

edit: if it doesn't work, let's renew the emulator settings using a script. please close ePSXe and run "remove all settings.bat" from https://www.ngemu.com/threads/remove-epsxe-pcsxr-settings.197337/ , by DarkSilhouette, and try again a last time.

finally, I will need to know: are you only using 1 game for these tests? and if the error persists, I think it would be interesting to test other emulators.

cheers!

·
Registered
374 Posts
They make money with the version for Android. At the end of the day everyone has bills to pay. Perhaps if there was a continuous form of development finance for PC, perhaps, they would devote themselves to the platform.

Anyway, PSX emulation seems to have stopped for quite some time. PGXP is strong but it relates to graphical improvements to supported games and does not fix emulation bugs or increase compatibility list.

And since the code is closed, it is only who has it that can change. Not that it was open source that everything would be solved, but it is likely that these minor things would be quickly corrected.

Even today, I consider ePSXe to be a major competitor to XEBRA and Mednafen. PCSXR needs urgent an audio plugin that is good, stable, compatible. edgbla gpu plugin and peops soft gpu are excellent. lacks only one good audio plugin to accompany they.

·
Registered
374 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
I've ... still be having the black screen problems.
it looks like you're using HLE Bios. please use REAL BIOS. preferably 1001 or 7502. either one. you will only need one and you will no longer need to change bios. (other emulators use other versions.)

searching for SLU-40438 I was unable to find the name of the game. is it a real game or a hack rom? have you compared the hash of your image with the hash on the redump site?

hashing is very simple. hash is a mathematical function that when applied to an identical file produces identical code, and thus allows us to find out if the disk image is original without corruption.

you can use a program like Nirsoft HashMyFiles and find the perfect copy hashes on the redump site.

cheers!

·
Registered
374 Posts
[2022-04-21]

there is probably no reason to use anything other than DuckStation/SwanStation or Mednafen/Beetle PSX/HW anymore.

all other emulators have been abandoned or have much lower compatibility and features than these two: duck or med.

I recommend DuckStation (standalone) or SwanStation (RetroArch/LibRetro)

[both are exactly the same emulator, just change the platform]

DuckStation Mobile (android) [PSX only] [freeware]

DuckStation PC Version (Windows, linux) [PSX only] [opensource] [MSVC++]

the BIOS are the same as used by Mednafen, RetroArch BeetlePSX/HW and SwanStation

Code:
bios / region / md5
scph5500.bin JP 8dd7d5296a650fac7319bce665a6a53c
scph5501.bin US 490f666e1afb15b7362b406ed1cea246
scph5502.bin EU 32736f17079d0b2b7024407c39bd3050
source: Sony - PlayStation (Beetle PSX HW) - Libretro Docs

DON'T enable BIOS intro skip; [also known as "Fast Boot"]
DON'T force BIOS region detection; [use Auto-Detect on "Console Region"]
DON'T overclock the psx virtual cpu;
DON'T use real disk instead of disk image;
DON'T use modified/accelerated read speed...
DON'T enable "PGXP Depth Buffer¹" as it breaks Tekken 3, for example;
¹ maybe it can be positive, however, it eventually glitches other games;

"How to 'install' BIOS at DuckStation" - by ofernandofilo [2022-03-28]
2022-03-28_18-58-11-x264web [5 min video]

Visual C++ Redistributable Runtimes All-in-One (Windows 7-11) [MSVC++] [MSVC++ installer]

dl, unzip, run .BAT as admin, wait, reboot, done!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts