Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm running Windows 10 Professional and ePSXe 2.0.5. I've ripped a bunch of my old PS1 games to BIN/CUE files but when I try to load any of them up, ePSXe hangs and then crashes. I've tried the two built in graphics plugins but they all fail.

This is what I see when I enable logging. Does anyone have any ideas what might be wrong?

Code:
 * Running ePSXe emulator version 2.0.5.
* Memory handlers init.
* ePSXe: PSX BIOS loaded [bios\SCPH1001.BIN].
* Loading ISO Format [MDF/BIN/IMG2352] ok
* First/Last track: 1 1
* Track 1: (DATA)  - Start 1: (00,02,00) -  Length 69:34
* NTSC cdrom detected. (SLUS_010.41)
* GPU supports GTE Accurate
* Doing init gpu[0]...
* Init OpenGLv2...
OpenGL Screen Resolution 640x480 Ratio: StretchVendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer: Quadro FX 880M/PCIe/SSE2
* Gpu open[0]...
* Direct input init ok.
* Init core spu ...  ok

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, that did it. It didn't seem to be set to anything by default - is this a known issue or bug in the program?

·
deep-space demon
349 Posts
Yeah unfortunately this is a bug

Its a shame because new people post about this problem almost every week and nobody bothers to post a sticky thread with the solution in it, and its a fairly easy problem to fix.
I want to make one, but the mods here are virtually nonexistent and will probably get lost since it wont be stickied, unless people frequently post on it.

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Sticky !

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've read dozens of posts and threads all over the internet about setting overclocking to 1x. But what if it's at 1x, and I'm still having black screen issues? I even uninstalled everything and did a fresh factory install, and went through the Basic Setup Guide also on this site, and I'm still getting black screen hang on start up. Booting from ISO, even reading the physical disc on boot from drive is giving me this.

·
Registered
311 Posts
it's at 1x, and I'm still having black screen issues?
try: (a) the version 2.0.5 [last version], (b) use real bios [disable hle bios], (c) use only native plugins [ePSXe GPU Core 2.0.0 is very good], (d) close all browsers [I don't know why sometimes they hang my emulators], (e) try to force reboot your machine [close everything, then cmd: shutdown -r -t 5], (f) post here your results!

cheers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
post here your results!
Yep, it's the latest version, I've disabled the HLE bios, I haven't used any additional plugins, been using the GPU Core 2.0. Closed all browsers, and even did a machine shut down and reboot. Still hanging on black screen.

Even more odd, just a few days ago I was playing Resident Evil 3 with my physical disk (The release of RE2 got the nostalgias flowing), and when I decided to switch to Castlevania SotN through ISO, I was able to play for maybe 30 minutes or so before crossing a load zone caused everything to hang.

And it was at that point where I could no longer even load through physical disks.

·
Registered
311 Posts
then, please try the native: Pete's OpenGL2 GPU core 2.0.0. with this settings:
2019-02-02 19-54-17.png

the "render mode" option is the most important in this case. it usually the one that make black screens on some machines.

edit: if it doesn't work, let's renew the emulator settings using a script. please close ePSXe and run "remove all settings.bat" from https://www.ngemu.com/threads/remove-epsxe-pcsxr-settings.197337/ , by DarkSilhouette, and try again a last time.

finally, I will need to know: are you only using 1 game for these tests? and if the error persists, I think it would be interesting to test other emulators.

cheers!

·
deep-space demon
349 Posts
I'm not demanding anything but why the developers don't release a new ''bugfix'' version?
Because they procrastinate.

I don't mean to badmouth them but they have a history of not updating ePSXe enough to get rid of major bugs that are easy to fix. For instance, for many years ePSXe was stuck at version 1.7 and it had a major flaw: they forgot to pack dlls such as zlib and burutter with the download and ePSXe would crash with a massing dll error. Of course this was an oversight in the code but it could have been easily fixed by amending the download with the required dlls before the next version properly patched the code and saves many people's time.

At the moment all of the their efforts are working on ePSXe Android which is on version 2.0.9 at the moment so... there you go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Judging by the naming scheme, the Android version is superior? But whatever, I mean they can do whatever they want, but treating their windows version like this is something which feels really sad. It seems like that they only focus on the next Android version...

·
Registered
311 Posts
They make money with the version for Android. At the end of the day everyone has bills to pay. Perhaps if there was a continuous form of development finance for PC, perhaps, they would devote themselves to the platform.

Anyway, PSX emulation seems to have stopped for quite some time. PGXP is strong but it relates to graphical improvements to supported games and does not fix emulation bugs or increase compatibility list.

And since the code is closed, it is only who has it that can change. Not that it was open source that everything would be solved, but it is likely that these minor things would be quickly corrected.

Even today, I consider ePSXe to be a major competitor to XEBRA and Mednafen. PCSXR needs urgent an audio plugin that is good, stable, compatible. edgbla gpu plugin and peops soft gpu are excellent. lacks only one good audio plugin to accompany they.

·
Registered
11 Posts
A ''bugfix'' release shouldn't take that long especially if you developed a emulator and know what you're doing. That's what I don't understand. It's a ''critical'' bug and the emulator should be released in a state where it doesn't crash when launching. No more no less. Yes, a solution is there and it's easy to use, but you have to know how to fix it in the first place.

But like I said, people can do whatever they want, I'm not demaning anything! Just don't understand it.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
the android versions released after 2.0.5 came out are mostly just android stuff... nothing applicable to the PC version... the only critical bug in 2.0.5 is the cpu speed not getting set on first run, but that's pretty easily fixed by the users and it is widely know about now.. we do not know what they are working on behind the scenes, considering their are at most 3 people working on it, it takes a lot of time

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've spent the whole day and i can't make it run.
I tried every pete's plugin out there and only a "D3D" one sorta worked, but it freezes after a second or two in some games, stays black on others.
The built in 2.0 you sugest up here crashes no matter what.
The overclock x1 thing makes no difference whatsoever, please don't even mention it.

specs are:
i5 4500, 8gb ram, AMD radeon RX 580, windows 10 pro (reciently updated from win7 where everything worked just fine)

This emulator needs updating ASAP, it can't be this buggy on the new standard OS

·
deep-space demon
349 Posts
I tried every pete's plugin out there and only a "D3D" one sorta worked, but it freezes after a second or two in some games, stays black on others.
The overclock x1 thing makes no difference whatsoever, please don't even mention it.

specs are:
i5 4500, 8gb ram, AMD radeon RX 580, windows 10 pro (reciently updated from win7 where everything worked just fine)

This emulator needs updating ASAP, it can't be this buggy on the new standard OS
Please read this guide here
https://www.ngemu.com/threads/epsxe-basic-setup-guide-windows.204673/

·
Registered
2,162 Posts

specs are:

new install means you likely are missing all the older vcredist needed to run epsxe properly... I went from win 7 pro to win 10 pro and at the time also had an ATI gpu (r7 265) and had zero issues running epsxe

1 - 20 of 34 Posts