Next Generation Emulation banner

ePSXe crashes when bluetooth controller connects/disconnects

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  FoxSevent 
#1 ·
I just recently bought ePSXe on the play store after hearing so much good about it. I've been using FPse for years, and while it does the job, its menu system is a nightmare, and it does have issues with some games, particularly when it comes to audio. I was hoping ePSXe would be a better emulator overall, and while I much prefer its menus, it does have issues.

Namely, for whatever reason, whenever I connect a controller via bluetooth, or it times out, ePSXe will ALWAYS crash. Whenever I start it up again and start up the game I was last playing, I will usually have to manually reset it or load a save state to get it working again as it will just be a black screen or an error message otherwise.

I've tried using two different controllers, an iPega 9087 and an iPega 9023S. Both cause the app to crash. I don't have this issue for any other emulator on my phone, including FPse.

I've tried looking this up but I can't find anything on it. I've tried everything I can think of to try and fix it as well, uninstalling and reinstalling the app, resetting settings, tinkering with the settings, making the gamepad "digital" instead of dualshock, restarting the phone, etc. I've tried at least 10 different games or so, happens for all of them. Have also decided to test other emulators on my phone (Drastic, myboy, myoldboy, Snes9x, FPse, PPSSPP, etc.) to be 100% sure it wasn't my phone or controllers, and there's indeed no issues. I've tried contacting the dev about this as well, but they just replied with a "thanks for the info", and didn't really provide any suggestions/solution or indication if this is something they'd look into it. It was pretty vague to say the least. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy A3 2017, currently on Android 8.

Unfortunately, my iPega 9023S in particular sometimes likes to time out randomly. This is only a minor annoyance for most emulators, but for ePSXe, it crashes it completely, making me lose progress if I haven't made any recent save states. Not to mention I also tend to play a lot of JRPGs, so it's not unusual for the bluetooth controller to time out during long cutscenes.

Any suggestions? I would genuinely like to use ePSXe as I do mostly prefer it to FPse otherwise (sans the fact the game doesn't pause when you bring up the menu, unlike literally every other emulator ever), but the crashing is making the emulator pretty much unusable for me.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.