Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I made this basically for me, but maybe someone else finds it useful too. At first I disliked the need to click twice to open the cheats window and I wanted that menu entry elsewhere. The "ePSXe.exe" is compressed with UPX, maybe some custom one, because only one of my UPX unpackers could extract it (UpxUnpacker 0.2 by skylly123). All others (UPX 3.96 itself, deSimpleUPXCryptor, Generic Unpacker, Quick Unpack 2.2, RLdeUPX 1.x-3.x, ShitDie 0.1, unUPXProtector, UPX-Analyser 0.22, UPXFIX, UPXFIX by DiKeN and UPX-Ripper 1.3) failed.

By editing the "ePSXe.exe" with the latest versions of "Resource Hacker" and "Resource Tuner", I noticed, that they read the EXE somehow flawed and miss stuff (at the strings etc., yeah, even the latest Resource Hacker 5.1.7.343). I only noticed this later and they couldn't safely move the "Cheat codes" menu to the top as well. So I tried some other resource editors and found out, that a combination of "XN Resource Editor" and "Restorator 2018" produces a bugfree and modified EXE.

So I mainly made the modified EXE with the following:
  • XN Resource Editor v3.0.0.1 (to prepare the EXE)
  • Restorator 2018 v3.90.1793
  • Tiny Hexer v1.8.1.6
  • File Optimizer v14.20.2553 (incl. UPX v3.96)
And the following is modified:
  • extracted UPX protected EXE (from untouched 1,21 MB to 5,34 MB)
  • removed all languages except English (incl. duplicated Bitmaps and Icons)
  • rearranged the main menu and renamed some entries
  • replaced the main menu window Bitmap with a smaller ad-free one
  • renamed some strings and dialogs
  • enlarged the cheat menu and changed the sorting
  • removed the hidden ad from the main menu window, Gamelist still works
  • recompressed EXE (from modified 3,46 MB to 0,93 MB)
  • enabled Large Access Aware, can now use more than 2GB RAM on a x64 OS
  • optimized 3 more files (burutter.dll + SDL.dll + epsxe.chm)
So the "ePSXe.exe" got smaller (from UPXed 1,21 MB to 0,93 KB or from unUPXed 5,34 MB to 3,46 MB), opens faster, need less RAM, is ad-free, has a more accessible and bigger cheat window to fully show long entries and sorts them as defined in the cheats *.txt, should have less spelling errors (no more "CPU overcloking" and some are unified, like "CD-Rom" etc.) and at last the EXE can handle more than 2GB Ram on a 64-bit OS, as all our Windows should be right now. Some minor stuff, like removing the main window ad or correcting the version number spelling of the core plugins (from "2.0.0." to "2.0.0"), needed hex-editing.

Now after many hours of playing Vagrant Story, I can tell you, that my modified EXE has no additional flaws (which the untouched vanilla one hasn't already). It behaves exactly like the untouched one, but has all the optimizations. My plugins for Vagrant Story are Pete's OpenGL2 GPU core 2.0.0 (+ Shader: AA & xBR Acc 2D+3D FXAA+NTSC TV) [picture] + ePSXe SPU core 2.0.0.

You can download the modified ePSXe.exe (v2.0.5) here: ePSXe 2.0.5 Modified and Optimized EXE.7z
All files are included as the modified, but still unpacked version and the packed UPXed version. The unpacked one can still be edited easily if needed with a resource editor (I recommend Restorator 2018). XN Resource Editor was mainly used to save the EXE editable for Restorator 2018, but you can use it to edit the EXE further as well. Be aware, that it has problems with some Icons of the Untouched EXE, but Restorator could handle it without problems. The three additional files (burutter.dll + SDL.dll + epsxe.chm) are only optimized by FileOptimizer (which happens 100% lossless), I didn't change anything else. They are simply smaller and take less space, but work as before. ;) If you find any new bugs with the modified EXE compared to the vanilla one, please tell me.

BTW, the latest ePSXeCutor 1.0.6.3 won't recognize the build-in core GPU plugin of ePSXe 2.0.5 (equal if untouched or modified), so it becomes completely useless if you want to use this plugin with any game. And the core GPU plugin is not bad, way better than with older ePSXe versions and a real alternative.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a false hit and your choice. Normally it should also hit the official EXE, cause its also UPXed, I just debloated stuff and rearranged the menu a bit with renaming. Should be the same for the scanner. I made no magic and I would say everyone could do it the same way, especially after I told how to do it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry, I wasn't trying to take a swipe at you or your work...its normally considerate to provide a virus scan for personal modified files as a show of good faith. I believe you. And to anyone else...I ran it on my system with zero call backs so i can contest to it's good nature.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! And I must apologize, I then really misunderstood the post and should have provided a scan myself right at opening this thread... Sorry, I simply didn't thought about a virus scan, just was happy the EXE finally works and wanted to share it. xD Next time I know better! Usually I don't post edited EXE somewhere, but for ePSXe it came over me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a problem. Epsxe 1.9.0 n Win7, remains active in the task manager. Can you optimize that too?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Could you separate the embedded default plugins from the ePSXe application itself? ePSXe had its default sound, graphics, input and cdrom plugins built in to the app. Also the Game's emulation window doesn't have an icon on the side. will this be in the next version?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have a problem. Epsxe 1.9.0 n Win7, remains active in the task manager. Can you optimize that too?
Nope, I know what you mean, but it doesn't happen with all games/PC configurations and happens since years, since very old ePSXe versions.

thank you I can play residents evil 2. I hope you Optimized plugins
I optimized what I stated, there were no way to optimize the build-in plugins at all. I just edited some displayed text for the plugins.

Could you separate the embedded default plugins from the ePSXe application itself? ePSXe had its default sound, graphics, input and cdrom plugins built in to the app. Also the Game's emulation window doesn't have an icon on the side. will this be in the next version?
You won't believe it, but I really tried to find a way to export the plugins as DLL or something, but had no luck. I wanted them seperated as well. ^^ Maybe there's a way, but I don't know of any so far. :/ There's no icon at the emulation window with the untouched vanilla EXE, too. And none of the resource editors let you access and edit this emulation window, to add an icon reference or something, sorry.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Because ePSXe cut off longer cheat names, that I couldn't fully read and understand. Also the sorting was weird like "1, 10, 11, 12, ... 19, 2, 20, 21, 22, ... 29, 3, 30, 31, 32" etc.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I made this basically for me, but maybe someone else finds it useful too. At first I disliked the need to click twice to open the cheats window and I wanted that menu entry elsewhere. The "ePSXe.exe" is compressed with UPX, maybe some custom one, because only one of my UPX unpackers could extract it (UpxUnpacker 0.2 by skylly123). All others (UPX 3.96 itself, deSimpleUPXCryptor, Generic Unpacker, Quick Unpack 2.2, RLdeUPX 1.x-3.x, ShitDie 0.1, unUPXProtector, UPX-Analyser 0.22, UPXFIX, UPXFIX by DiKeN and UPX-Ripper 1.3) failed.

By editing the "ePSXe.exe" with the latest versions of "Resource Hacker" and "Resource Tuner", I noticed, that they read the EXE somehow flawed and miss stuff (at the strings etc., yeah, even the latest Resource Hacker 5.1.7.343). I only noticed this later and they couldn't safely move the "Cheat codes" menu to the top as well. So I tried some other resource editors and found out, that a combination of "XN Resource Editor" and "Restorator 2018" produces a bugfree and modified EXE.

So I mainly made the modified EXE with the following:
  • XN Resource Editor v3.0.0.1 (to prepare the EXE)
  • Restorator 2018 v3.90.1793
  • Tiny Hexer v1.8.1.6
  • File Optimizer v14.20.2553 (incl. UPX v3.96)
And the following is modified:
  • extracted UPX protected EXE (from untouched 1,21 MB to 5,34 MB)
  • removed all languages except English (incl. duplicated Bitmaps and Icons)
  • rearranged the main menu and renamed some entries
  • replaced the main menu window Bitmap with a smaller ad-free one
  • renamed some strings and dialogs
  • enlarged the cheat menu and changed the sorting
  • removed the hidden ad from the main menu window, Gamelist still works
  • recompressed EXE (from modified 3,46 MB to 0,93 MB)
  • enabled Large Access Aware, can now use more than 2GB RAM on a x64 OS
  • optimized 3 more files (burutter.dll + SDL.dll + epsxe.chm)
So the "ePSXe.exe" got smaller (from UPXed 1,21 MB to 0,93 KB or from unUPXed 5,34 MB to 3,46 MB), opens faster, need less RAM, is ad-free, has a more accessible and bigger cheat window to fully show long entries and sorts them as defined in the cheats *.txt, should have less spelling errors (no more "CPU overcloking" and some are unified, like "CD-Rom" etc.) and at last the EXE can handle more than 2GB Ram on a 64-bit OS, as all our Windows should be right now. Some minor stuff, like removing the main window ad or correcting the version number spelling of the core plugins (from "2.0.0." to "2.0.0"), needed hex-editing.

Now after many hours of playing Vagrant Story, I can tell you, that my modified EXE has no additional flaws (which the untouched vanilla one hasn't already). It behaves exactly like the untouched one, but has all the optimizations. My plugins for Vagrant Story are Pete's OpenGL2 GPU core 2.0.0 (+ Shader: AA & xBR Acc 2D+3D FXAA+NTSC TV) [picture] + ePSXe SPU core 2.0.0.

You can download the modified ePSXe.exe (v2.0.5) here: ePSXe 2.0.5 Modified and Optimized EXE.7z
All files are included as the modified, but still unpacked version and the packed UPXed version. The unpacked one can still be edited easily if needed with a resource editor (I recommend Restorator 2018). XN Resource Editor was mainly used to save the EXE editable for Restorator 2018, but you can use it to edit the EXE further as well. Be aware, that it has problems with some Icons of the Untouched EXE, but Restorator could handle it without problems. The three additional files (burutter.dll + SDL.dll + epsxe.chm) are only optimized by FileOptimizer (which happens 100% lossless), I didn't change anything else. They are simply smaller and take less space, but work as before. ;) If you find any new bugs with the modified EXE compared to the vanilla one, please tell me.

BTW, the latest ePSXeCutor 1.0.6.3 won't recognize the build-in core GPU plugin of ePSXe 2.0.5 (equal if untouched or modified), so it becomes completely useless if you want to use this plugin with any game. And the core GPU plugin is not bad, way better than with older ePSXe versions and a real alternative.
This is very nice and useful! I still use ePSXe sometimes, especially for its very low footprint on old PCs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i will give this a try.

Update: ive tried it. Thank you for update the interface for cheats. Notice in my naming them on top I had to label them by order and with your teak It is better. The larger interface is pretty much appreciated so that it can accommodate more descriptive naming

I dont hate the latest reshade version but so far at least on that department everything is working fine both for the main core 2.0 plugin and the soft video plugin

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts