Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I start ePSXe up i get the little start-up window with file, run, config, options, and help. I have all the plugins ready and setup, I have the SCPH1001 file, and i have FFVII disc 1 in my driver, the program is set up to start the game from my cdrom drive and everything. When i actually click file -> Run CDROM i get a window (i have the graphics set up to run it in a window) and then the program closes out. Can anyone give me hints or suggestions to what i did wrong?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Please post more info - your system specs and your config. A list of the contents of the directory containing ePSXe.exe and the plugins directory below it wouldn't hurt, as I suspect you may have misplaced an essential file or two.

Dan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my system specs:
Microsoft Windows XP
AMD Athlon XP 2800 2.09 GHz
1gb of ram

my config is:
Video: Pete's OpenGL Driver 1.76
Sound: P.E.Op.S. DSound Audio Driver 1.9
CD: ePSXe CDR WNT/W2K core 1.5.2.
Netplay: Disabled

·
Registered
654 Posts
That's not all that helpful, as you left out the most important details, like what video card you're using, what sound support you have, and what the settings are inside your video and audio plugins.

Not to mention that list of files.

Dan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oops my bad
my video card is a Radeon 9600
and my sound system is Creative 5.1 Dolby Surround sound
for the sound settings on the P.E.Op.S.:
Mode: 2: Use SPUasync
Volume: 1: Medium
Reverb: 2: PSX reverb
Interpolation: 2: Gaussian interpolation

XA Music: Checked both Enable XA playing, and Change XA speed

All misc. options are unchecked

for the video config:
I switched it to fullscreen mod
desktop resolution is 1024 x 768
window size is 640 x 480
color depth 32 bit
keep psx aspect ratio unchecked
texture quality: R8 G8 B8 A8
filtering: 4: extended w/o sprites unfiltered 2d
hi-res textures: 0: none
Gfx card vram 128 mbytes
show fps display... unchecked
use fps limit checked
use frame skipping unchecked
auto-detect fps/frame skipping limit
off-screen drawing: 4: extended
framebuffer textures: 2: gfx card buffer
framebuffer acces: 3: gfx card buffer reads and moves
alpha multipass, mask bit, advanced blending all checked
under misc. unfiltered frambuffer updates, force 15 bit framebuffer updates, and special game fixes are the only things checked

tried to get everything

the list of files:
bios directory: erase.me save001.mcr and SCPH1001.bin
cheats: breath_of_fire_4_usa.cht
docs: epsxe_en and sp
memcards: delete.me spsxe000.mcr epsxe001.mcr ff7_1.mcr ff7_2.mcr
patches: erase.me
plugins: gpuPeteD3D.dll gpuPeteDx6D3D.dll gpuPeteOpenGL.dll remove.me and spuPeopsDSound.dll
snap: kill.me
sstates: punch.me
and the burutter.dll file in the original directory

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi I'm new to the emu. I am having the same problem, which is why I'm posting to this thread and not starting a new one.

I'm using the latest version of ePSX (1.6) and Pete's OGL plugin (current one,forgot #).
The BIOS runs fine but when I select run cdrom (I have FF7 orig cd in drive) it just goes to a black screen.
Here are my specs:

P4 3.6ghz PCI-Express
1gb RAM
ATI 256mb X800 XT P.E. PCI-Express
driver 5.9 Catalyst
Audigy 2ZS
XP PRO-SP2

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
PS-I'm using all original PSX games I have purchased, not copies or ISO's if that makes any difference to emulator

EDIT: Ok, I figured out that it had to have my cd rom drive selected( :innocent: )....now what I'm seeing is that the FMV at the beginning of FF7 is really choppy! Then after the train stops, the image of the train (that was FMV a moment ago) has a green border around it!
SO this is where I am now. I just d/l Alcohol 120 and Daemon Tools to figure out how to make an ISO (I've never done that before) and try to play off of the ISO.

I will say this much: I recently got the pc version of FF7 thinking it would look better than the PSX version, and the characters do look a little better but the backgrounds and FMV are all washed out and bland looking I was shocked! and on top of that the music is all midi and tinny sounding!
:mad:
BUT...once I saw them in ePSX ...OMG! it looks SO much better than the pc version!!!!

Now if someone would just kindly help me with the stuttering FMV and green borders problem I'd be happy for the rest of the month.
:D

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Does this happen with all your games or just FF7?

General troubleshooting advice is here: http://www.ngemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65247

Some good FF7 working configurations are here: http://www.ngemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45533

My system's specs are not that different from yours, and my FF7 config is here: http://www.ngemu.com/forums/showthread.php?p=888950#post888950

Dan

EDIT: There's some discussion of the green lines here: http://www.ngemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65376&highlight=green+ff7

And your stuttering can be cured via playing from an image, or using Nero DriveSpeed to prevent your CD-ROM drive from spinning down (real Playstation drives never stop spinning).

·
Registered
3 Posts
thanks for the reply!
well, I figured out how to make an ISO (never done it before) and it worked off of that. The green lines I fixed by just using "Nice" in the grfx plugin:pete's.

Now, my next problem!
;)

The sound stutters. The music seems to play ok but when a battle starts the sound will stutter slightly and it doesn't do the swirly blur effect when a battle starts. It just blanks for a sec then starts the battle. Battle is ok but music stutters slightly again as do the sound effects for magic,etc.
When battle is over it slightly stutters again but then goes back to the game. It seems like some of the sounds slightly "hang" for a second or so too long. Not sure if this is normal for FF7 emulation on pc.
:???:

I'm going to try d/l some other sound plug ins and see if that changes anything. And I'll check out the thread you linked for the config.

Thanks again!
PS-is there any particular feature that I can activate that will smooth out the fonts in the game so they're not so pixely?? The gourad shading on the polygon characters is nice and smooth though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
OMG!! you are the man! I used your config for it!
I got the swirly blur effect for battles and sound seems fine!

One major problem: it's running at quadruple speed!
:lol: oO

I'm going to try and tweak some more settings...

EDIT:

ok sorry bout the posting didnt know. :innocent:

I figured out the FPS limit thing. overlooked it. :innocent:

still getting the slight sound delay problem..sounds hanging a little too long, and it seems to slow down for just a second entering and leaving a battle.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Check to make sure you have FPS limitation turned on.
Check to make sure the FPS limit is set to 60 (50 in PAL land).

Do you have a dual-core or hyperthreaded processor? If you do, it might help to modify the emulator executable so it only runs on one processor. More on this here: http://www.ngemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65084

The moderators of these forums get upset sometimes when you double post. You might want to use the Edit button instead.

Dan

EDIT: As for your battle intro slowdowns, ... did you try sssPSX? or ePSXe 1.5.2 instead of 1.6.0? 1.6.0 has timing issues with some games.

EDIT 2: Dunno about the sounds, I've compared them between emulation and my Playstation and they sound the same to me. You could try lowering the buffer size in whatever sound plugin you're using, or playing with the reverb setting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.