Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i have a PS2 and that the fact that is can play PSX on it too. But, because i have a very sharp and close eyes on quality, i realise the quality wen playing PSX looks very bad and dodgy. Isnt there a way to improve it? like overclocking the CPU? would that work? and aswell the DVD player, the bitrate wen playing DVDs is low, is there also a way to improve that aswell? or is there upgrades for it? like 3rd-\party software that u burn on disc and run it on the PS2 and will automatically write the stuff in. Anyone?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well, there are 'Disk Speed' and 'Texture Mapping' enhancements in Version>Options (press triangle twice from the main menu with no disk in). It won't improve resolution, though:( If you have a decent computer you can always play PSX games on ePSXe;)

I don't know about DVD...newer PS2s have newer 'DVD Player' versions but it probably does nothing for picture quality. If your using component video inputs then there's probably nothing more you can do...except buy a good stand-alone DVD player.

·
The seeker of perfection
4,008 Posts
Overclocking the cpu would do what? It will handle games with more polygons and such but an already programed psx game? Nothing. You just have the 2 options already mentioned, Epsxe included.
The look on your games will be heavly improved if you stop using the standard composite cables that you ps2 had bundled. Use S-video or better yet, component and you will notice a huuuuuuuuugggggggeeeeeeeeee difference. The same applies to the dvd player.
The bitrate of the dvd can be altered btw. It's encoded in the movie not the player. A good movie with good bitrate will look better than one with bad bitrate.
The only porograms that can "alter" the ps2 are some homebrew ones that will let you play divx, mp3 or vcd but i don't know of the actual state of those. The first japanese ps2 had an upgrade in the dvd player so it could read more titles and give less errors. It was installed in the memory card.

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,398 Posts
well, as everybody mentioned above, buy a S-video, or RGB cable - with that quality will be much better. The quality adiustment in PSX games oon PS2 is... how it is, you almost can't see it ePSXe is mych better solution :)

·
Banned
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i am already using a RGB cable. but i am still dissapointed with playing back PSX games. By the way, is it possible to replace the backward compatibility of the PSX on the PS2 with ePSXe? which that emu can enchance PSX games. Possible?

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
you mean put ePSXe on a PS2? there is PCSX for Xbox but it's not really what you mean...

here's an easy way to get ePSXe on your TV: an S-video cable

·
Emulation to the max!
2,624 Posts
Oalboukharey said:
connecting your PC to a TV will give u a massive headace! due to the interlacing or something like that. If people are able to make Emu's for the PS2, then im sure it can be done with the ePSXe.
it will give you a headache if
a: your t.v. has a low refresh rate
b: your t.v.s refresh rate differs considerably from your comp and you use comp more
c: your t.v. and comp refresh rate are incompatible.

try playing with it. i played high res n64 like that and man what an awesome experience!

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Oalboukharey said:
connecting your PC to a TV will give u a massive headace! due to the interlacing or something like that. If people are able to make Emu's for the PS2, then im sure it can be done with the ePSXe.
Dude, sorry to pop your bubble, but psx emulation for PS2 will not exist. For two reasons: The PS2 can already play PSX games and the PS2 is not the easiest system to program for. There is no reason for devvers to create a PSX emulator for it.
If you want improved PSX graphics buy a DC and Bleemcast ;)
Something like that you will never see on a PS2. Even though the DC has a slower cpu the homebrew scene is alot stronger simply because it's easier to program for.

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Yeah I know, but if you don't want to use the PS2 and the TVout of your pc your options are pretty limited :p

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
dude, the graphics were an assload better. the controls sucked though, thanks to the Dreamcast controller.

moomoomoo have you seen MGS on bleemcast in action? man, i remember when it came out, i was pretty impressed...these are the days before Pete's OGL2 mind you ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.