Next Generation Emulation banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 109 Posts

·
PCSX2ベータテスター
1,455 Posts
i hate to say this buy it sounds like your pulling numbers out your ass. The fact is is the PS2 has too many processors to run on our ONE processor. It has the EE, IOP, SPU2, VU0, VU1, GS. All of those have to be running in sync meaning that all the processors just can't go running off on their own. They often have to wait for data being done on a different processor. Most of us are suggesting 4.5GHZ to 6 GHZ just to get normal speed. The overhead of the OS is so minimal, even on windows, that it's almost negligable.

B

·
0 Posts
Though I'm a bit sceptical about this, you of course have our (NGEmus) full support when you plan to go public with this. Should you have some first screens to look at, let me know :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
Thanks for your optimisim and encouragement, guys!

I'm not saying the increase will effect -ALL- PCs, your hardware is a huge factor in this. Also, I'm definately not "pulling numbers out of my ass", as Seta-san said. Being someone who wouldn't have even bothered to post this unless I was absolutely sure of the data, as I use this screen name on all forums and online games I'm a member of, I'm quite offended someone would assume I'm jackass enough to lie. If you disbelieve the speed increase potential, then simply wait until the OS is up for download and judge for yourself.

Anyway, thanks Bobbi. Expect a good dose of screen shots displaying progress within the month. Most of us live near Pittsburgh PA, so we'l most likely be taking screen shots at one of those meetings. Also, I ask that everyone keep in mind that programmers have lives too. I have a wife and daughter myself, so if I sat at home coding constantly in my free time... well... I'd be SOL.

Also in response to Criftus, I know what you mean. The OS is supposed to make the hardware run like it's dedicated, as that's how you get the speed increase. It's not like another OS that tries to run other programs while running the emulator. In fact, if one tried they'd find out that since all options for that have been disabled and all focus goes directly to the emulator and drivers the emulator use... Well, you'd fail to run any other programs except the emulators. The OS itself pretty much acts like an advanced frontend, as someone mentioned before. More or less, it just says "Here. These are the drivers for the PC hardware. I'll just supervise to make sure everything runs well and pick up slack on certain things".

I hope that explains things a bit more. ^_^

[EDIT] Also, if you live near Pittsburgh PA and would like to attend one of our local staff meetups to see for yourself, that would be welcomed... as long as we don't have like fifteen people there at once. Just send me a PM or something and I'll let you know when and where it is around the time we have one.

·
<font color="#FF0066"><b>Advanced Newbie</b></font
5,797 Posts
seeing it that way im more optimistic now :)

·
Experenced But New User
866 Posts
EncodedFATE said:
The OS itself pretty much acts like an advanced frontend, as someone mentioned before...
Yay, that was me! :guitar:

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
I'm not without having skepticism myself, but good luck. If this is going to be built off linux, could it be a live dvd where people could store data on a usb drive such as an ipod or thumb drive? Will it read NTFS partitions to make things a little easier when trying to access your existing data?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Reichfuher said:
I'm not without having skepticism myself, but good luck. If this is going to be built off linux, could it be a live dvd where people could store data on a usb drive such as an ipod or thumb drive? Will it read NTFS partitions to make things a little easier when trying to access your existing data?
At the moment, there are no plans to make a Live DVD release. As for NTFS partitions, I know Fedora Core 4 already supports it after typing a few commands into the console... but I can't make any promises on that. It's still very possible, though.

·
カラム
365 Posts
Will it support FAT32 based partitions?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
GCFreak said:
Will it support FAT32 based partitions?
I think Fedora Core 4 has support for that as well, but I'm not certain because I only use NTFS anymore. If it does, then it's possible that EmuOS will have support for it as well. Just keep in mind we want to make the OS run as easily as possible, so we assumed just running ROMs and CD/DVD games from the DVD/CD drive of your PC was the easiest resolution.

That's another reason the OS only needs a little space, by the way. The only thing it uses the HDD space for is the EmuOS installation, preferences, and of course the save state and game save data.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well this looks very cool project and i,m pretty sure that this helps this generation emu davelopers to get better speeds in their emulators. Not very mutch maybe but little is better than nothing. And os only for emulators is very cool idea by itself.

And i wish you a luck at this project. And i hope to see some pictures soon.;)

And sorry for my english. it sucks.

·
PCSX2ベータテスター
1,455 Posts
sorry if i offended you, but even if you go forward with this project what your attempting is to make on OS like linux which prides it self on it's speed and efficientcy and make it under some circumstances 60x faster. I know this because i've got a 2.2Ghz processor and often get FPS that are floating around 1fps or even less. You're not the first person to come to these forums full of ideas that don't always work. You also come to us with no evidence of knowing how to write and, more importantly, debug code which can only fuel legitimate sceptisism. I mean we've had some pretty big emu lamers claiming something for attention, even if they can code. The biggest one i can think of is Realityman. Again, sorry for offense but the whole project seems entirely impossible at achiving full, or near full speed of a ps2 emulater just by making the OS a stripped down version of it self.

EncodedFATE said:
Thanks for your optimisim and encouragement, guys!

I'm not saying the increase will effect -ALL- PCs, your hardware is a huge factor in this. Also, I'm definately not "pulling numbers out of my ass", as Seta-san said. Being someone who wouldn't have even bothered to post this unless I was absolutely sure of the data, as I use this screen name on all forums and online games I'm a member of, I'm quite offended someone would assume I'm jackass enough to lie. If you disbelieve the speed increase potential, then simply wait until the OS is up for download and judge for yourself.

Anyway, thanks Bobbi. Expect a good dose of screen shots displaying progress within the month. Most of us live near Pittsburgh PA, so we'l most likely be taking screen shots at one of those meetings. Also, I ask that everyone keep in mind that programmers have lives too. I have a wife and daughter myself, so if I sat at home coding constantly in my free time... well... I'd be SOL.

Also in response to Criftus, I know what you mean. The OS is supposed to make the hardware run like it's dedicated, as that's how you get the speed increase. It's not like another OS that tries to run other programs while running the emulator. In fact, if one tried they'd find out that since all options for that have been disabled and all focus goes directly to the emulator and drivers the emulator use... Well, you'd fail to run any other programs except the emulators. The OS itself pretty much acts like an advanced frontend, as someone mentioned before. More or less, it just says "Here. These are the drivers for the PC hardware. I'll just supervise to make sure everything runs well and pick up slack on certain things".

I hope that explains things a bit more. ^_^

[EDIT] Also, if you live near Pittsburgh PA and would like to attend one of our local staff meetups to see for yourself, that would be welcomed... as long as we don't have like fifteen people there at once. Just send me a PM or something and I'll let you know when and where it is around the time we have one.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Seta-San said:
sorry if i offended you, but even if you go forward with this project what your attempting is to make on OS like linux which prides it self on it's speed and efficientcy and make it under some circumstances 60x faster. I know this because i've got a 2.2Ghz processor and often get FPS that are floating around 1fps or even less. You're not the first person to come to these forums full of ideas that don't always work. You also come to us with no evidence of knowing how to write and, more importantly, debug code which can only fuel legitimate sceptisism. I mean we've had some pretty big emu lamers claiming something for attention, even if they can code. The biggest one i can think of is Realityman. Again, sorry for offense but the whole project seems entirely impossible at achiving full, or near full speed of a ps2 emulater just by making the OS a stripped down version of it self.
No, you still come off as a skeptical prick. Seriously, not every new emulator that pops up is a fake, and not every seemingly outrageous claim is impossible, which seems to be popular opinion around scene "vets" who think they've been betrayed somehow so many times in the past. Seriously, it's getting old, that every time a new emulator pops up, one or two people pop up out of nowhere and say "gee i hope this is real. it looks fake, so i'm not gonna bother with it but u guys can go ahead and try it" or "to my knowledge this is impossible, so therefore if someone claims to have done they are lying and it is fake". You also don't seem to understand that what Encode is doing is building his OS around a Linux distro (and, what's more, and established one). He isn't (at least at the moment) creating an entire OS from the ground up (Which, mind you, isn't entirely impossible, just time consuming), but rather creating a streamlined version of the OS optimised for running certain programs. Surely, a person like yourself with at least some knowledge of computers knows that operating systems do have "fluff" that keeps your hardware from running at it's absolute fullest potential. Encode also seems to be reasonably intelligent -- and, much to his credit, has posted responses to nearly everybody's questions in a knowledgeable and thorough manner.

Now, if he happens to be a fifteen year old posting from a hand-me-down Pentium II from his bedroom, I'll gladly eat every last one of my words. But, for the time being, you, Seta-San, are being unreasonably hostile towards Encode, and despite claiming to be sorry for offending him, continue to accost him with no real backing on your part other than the fact that you think his achievments are impossible and that you feel the emulation scene is very shady when it comes to new projects. So, give the man some credit and take a wait-and-see approach if you wish, but don't be so harsh in judgement if you have no substantial grounds on which to judge him.

·
Experenced But New User
866 Posts
...BURN!!!!!!!!!

LOL, ummm, ya back to the EmuOS. From my experence with the few distros I have used, most of them can read NTFS but almsot none can write to it.

·
<font color=#FFFFFF><b>the only one you've ever SE
21,977 Posts
with apologies to EncodedFATE and Shadow_Cast, i'm going to have to side with Seta-san and zenogais' opinions here. reading this thread, the old saying "too good to be true" came to mind.

there is no way that you can keep the same hardware, the same version of PCSX2, and expect to double the speed just because you have some super streamlined OS.

i dont even think my computer (AMD 2500+, geforce 6800, 1gig ram, soundblaster audigy) will ever be able to run any 3D PS2 emulation full speed---ever. if you get it running on the POS you outlined, wow, i'll be extremely impressed.

anyway, i dont want to be a downer and try to shoot you down saying "it will never happen!" but you know what? i don't think it will ever happen. i wish you the best of luck, and i would like to make clear right now my extreme disbelief and skepticism.

but, if this project actually does work out, you may point to this post and say "neener neener neener" because you will have got me good ;)

good luck. you're going to need it.

PS. like Bobbi said, you have all the support from NGEmu; we're fully behind you. don't let anyone try to discourage you. however, if it all turns out to be a fake, you will be banished and forsaken in an Andrew Hruska-like manner ;) (just some words of warning)

·
Experenced But New User
866 Posts
hushypushy said:
there is no way that you can keep the same hardware, the same version of PCSX2, and expect to double the speed just because you have some super streamlined OS.
I dont think he said they would be using the same version of PCSX2...

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,120 Posts
thought id put in my 2 cents.

altho this idea may prove a speed advantage, i dont think more than a few fps on 3d will be possible, the biggest holdback for emulating systems like the PS2 is the hardware, not the OS.

i will be looking forward to see IF this does work its hyped magic (for the size, i hope so :p) but it remains to be seen, i am afraid, amongst the skeptics, i just hope you can prove me (and other skeptics) wrong :)

good luck with the project

·
Registered
845 Posts
I'm not a betting man, but I'd put my dick on this being a bull**** project that doesn't make it over the line.

At the beginning I appreciated the support and optimism, but there comes a point where you have to lay the cards down and challenge the random concepts that this geezer has thrown around. Refraction said it all.

But of course, good luck with the project! Ahem.

·
Registered
401 Posts
ok well my first question, is why are you using fedora and not DSL(Damn Small Linux) its a ~50 meg distro, that is stripped down and can run full speen on an xbox (733mhz, 64mb ram, 8g hd)

Now my next question is how your going to accomplish multithreading(6 I believe) on a single or dual core processor. Because no matter how effecient your os is, it must still send each cpu call in one at a time (unless its a x64)

Lastly I have a question for refraction (or any pcsx2 coder). I believe there is a linux copy of pcsx2 right? Well would clustering yield any results as far as speed, or would issues such as network latency prove to be to dificult

·
PCSX2ベータテスター
1,455 Posts
multithreading and stuff would help but there's no code in the emulater to support it so you won't get any enhanced speeds

XxCrashxX said:
ok well my first question, is why are you using fedora and not DSL(Damn Small Linux) its a ~50 meg distro, that is stripped down and can run full speen on an xbox (733mhz, 64mb ram, 8g hd)

Now my next question is how your going to accomplish multithreading(6 I believe) on a single or dual core processor. Because no matter how effecient your os is, it must still send each cpu call in one at a time (unless its a x64)

Lastly I have a question for refraction (or any pcsx2 coder). I believe there is a linux copy of pcsx2 right? Well would clustering yield any results as far as speed, or would issues such as network latency prove to be to dificult

41 - 60 of 109 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.