Next Generation Emulation banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been visiting the main site for a while, but due to the recent project I decided to join the forums so I could hopefully post information about my current project, EmuOS. I hope you find yourself interested in the project and that you'll support myself and the staff. ^_^
--------------------------------------------------

I’ve pulled a few software programmers together and still getting more staff to make an emulator-only operating system. This system will be easily installed on any PC as a secondary OS that uses only 3-4GB of a hard drive for the OS itself, emulator packages, and save state information. ROMs and CD/DVD games can then be run directly from the CD or DVD drive on your PC. After the OS is completed and most of the bugs are worked out it should be able to emulate games with only a 10% margin of error at most for a PlayStation2 game on a 2.2GHz processor PC. This is mainly due to the fact the system will only utilize drivers required for emulation and nothing else.

The OS itself is currently being assembled using Linux source code; in the meantime we’ll be using a reassembled Fedora Core 4 as a basis for the project. After a few tweaks, the system should be as easy to use as Windows and any PC user (novice or expert) will be able to use the system.

This distribution of Linux will be known as “EmuOS”, and will be a pioneer in the Gamer Specific OS field. Hopefully, our first beta will be released in the first quarter of 2006.

If you know Linux coding and you're interested in the project, please e-mail me at [email protected].

·
<font color="#FF0066"><b>Advanced Newbie</b></font
5,797 Posts
sounds good, can't see much future in it, but is interesting :)

·
Experenced But New User
866 Posts
EncodedFATE said:
After the OS is completed and most of the bugs are worked out it should be able to emulate games with only a 10% margin of error at most for a PlayStation2 game on a 1.2GHz processor PC.
PS2 games on 1.2GHz processor? That seems a little far feached. Is this EmuOS have any webpage or sourceforge site or anything?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Viper_Viper said:
PS2 games on 1.2GHz processor? That seems a little far feached. Is this EmuOS have any webpage or sourceforge site or anything?
Yes. I'm currently coding the site myself. It'll be posted here. And that's actually a typo in my part. I meant 2.2GHz, though that may sound quite unexpected itself. The programmers and myself figure that will fairly adequate with the correct driver settings on the PS2 emulator. Again, we're still working out the bugs, but so far it seems completely feasible with the stripped-down Fedora Core 4.

·
カラム
365 Posts
What about drivers for the Video Card? Sound Card? SATA HDD etc...????

Other than that, sounds interesting. Good Luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GCFreak said:
What about drivers for the Video Card? Sound Card? SATA HDD etc...????

Other than that, sounds interesting. Good Luck!
Like I said, only the drivers required for emulation are included. Being the Video Card, Sound Card, and any HDD configurations are a requirement (because seriously... you can't run a game without all that XD) they'll be included. Other drivers such as modems, ethernet, as well as certain services which are obviously not a requirement will not be included. At a later date, we'll add support drivers and services required for multi-player over-the-net things. However, we think that at the current time it'll be best to continue testing without them for performance purposes. We -will- add them in a future release, but only as an optional feature.

·
The Hunter
15,878 Posts
Allow me to say what I think :)

It sounds like a nice idea, but I'm very sceptic, because from my understanding you are creating your own Linux based Emulator targeted OS. Creating a fast OS for emulators is one thing, but providing good PS2 emulation isn't an easy task, just look at the PCSX2 emulator. Will you be creating a PS2 emulator yourself as well?

Good luck with your project :thumb:

·
European Citizen xD
344 Posts
Yes,that is what i thought.A Ps2 emulator is very hard to do .Will you make one yourself? What other consoles will you target? Dreamcast among them?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Cid Highwind said:
Allow me to say what I think :)

It sounds like a nice idea, but I'm very sceptic, because from my understanding you are creating your own Linux based Emulator targeted OS. Creating a fast OS for emulators is one thing, but providing good PS2 emulation isn't an easy task, just look at the PCSX2 emulator. Will you be creating a PS2 emulator yourself as well?

Good luck with your project :thumb:
Actually, that brings up another good point. We're currently trying to code the emulators ourselves. However if anyone with a fairly complete emulator code would like to donate their software to the project, it would be -very- much appreciated as that saves us a lot of unnecessary effort. Due credit will be given, as well as a share of any gifts recieved from satisfied users (though we don't expect any, as you know how these projects go).

Thanks for the well-wishes and interest in the project! ^_^

flowrent said:
Yes,that is what i thought.A Ps2 emulator is very hard to do .Will you make one yourself? What other consoles will you target? Dreamcast among them?
Like I said before, we're currently trying very hard to program it ourselves. However, help from any other project staff is greatly appriciated! I can't stress that enough, really. As for what consoles we want to target, we wish to persue all emulatable consoles. That means everything from an Atari to the Next-Gen consoles of today. This will be an ongoing project of course, as new consoles are released every couple of years. As for Dreamcast, you can be sure we're trying our best on that one. I myself love the Dreamcast.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not quite. MESS is a completely seperate project. The concept of one simple emulator for all consoles is very much appealing, however there's too much of a margin of error for us to persue at the current time. We believe working on the emulators seperately and packaging them with a stream-lined custom Linux distrobution is the best route at the current time.

·
Experenced But New User
866 Posts
The idea of this has great potential. You would essentially be creating a Video Game Concel that just does emulaton. It would make it very easy to set up a box in the living room that you would never have to mess with, it just works like other real system.

I imagen that this will be a very long process and that you might not have a working releace for quite some time. Will you be encoperating other existing emulators or will authors have to recode their existing emulators to work on your OS?

·
Registered
907 Posts
hm how will u manage configurtionen? since PS2 Emulation e.g. will need other settings than DC?
How much performance AND Portability can u gain from ur efforts?
Since PC hardware differs a lot i think... the approach is good but u will need all emu coders to work with ur OS, considering that ur OS AND APIs should be stable...
hmm..
wbr Shin Gouki

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Viper_Viper said:
The idea of this has great potential. You would essentially be creating a Video Game Concel that just does emulaton. It would make it very easy to set up a box in the living room that you would never have to mess with, it just works like other real system.

I imagen that this will be a very long process and that you might not have a working releace for quite some time. Will you be encoperating other existing emulators or will authors have to recode their existing emulators to work on your OS?
Yes, that's one of the basic ideas for the distrobution. Seeing as the OS is so minimal, you can install it on one of those nice mini-PCs and essentially have a One-For-All console. At minimal cost as well, seeing as you'll pretty much only need a 4GB HDD, a respectable mainboard/CPU, 512MB of RAM, a Radeon 9250 or equivalent video card, and your run of the mill onboard sound card. And that's just the recommended hardware.

As for incorperation of existing emulators, I'm leaving that to the makers of the emulators themselves. I may end up actually e-mailing a few of the emulator coders that have current Linux releases myself. Anything that runs on Fedora Core 4 will run on this distrobution, though.

Shin_Gouki said:
hm how will u manage configurtionen? since PS2 Emulation e.g. will need other settings than DC?
How much performance AND Portability can u gain from ur efforts?
Since PC hardware differs a lot i think... the approach is good but u will need all emu coders to work with ur OS, considering that ur OS AND APIs should be stable...
hmm..
wbr Shin Gouki
We're still working on the finer details, such as the configuration. As for getting any of the existing emulators to work with our OS, any emulators that work with the Fedora Core 4 distrobution of Linux will work. I've actually been testing that aspect myself just in case, and so far most of the emulators I've tried to run on Fedora worked exceptionally well.

As for performance and portability, you can expect a good enhancement in performance over the current distrobutions. As with any purpose-specific operating system, all emulators will have a performance increase. At the same time however, if you're installing it to a machine with less than a 2GHz processor, I wouldn't expect much of an increase in the next-gen console emulation capabilities, such as with PlayStation2 and GameCube. You would still notice a difference on other less resource consuming emulators such as ones for GameBoy Advance and Playstation, though.

All in all, depending on what you're trying to emulate and what your system specs are, there will be a performance increase. It's more of a matter of the user having good enough judgement to realize a 700MHz PC with 16-bit graphics card isn't going to run a PS2 emulator.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cloudvii said:
I don't know really. Are you sure you can do all that? I like the idea very much though ^_^

Also your page isn't working here :(
Yup, we can do it. It'll take a good bit of time, but it's possible and we won't give up until it's accomplished.

As for the website, we've been so busy on the project we haven't had time to even post the page. I should have it up before Wednesday, though! XD

·
カラム
365 Posts
Cool. I think this'll be a HUGE blast into the Emulation scene. Good luck! :).

One more question. What will be the minimum requirements for running this OS?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
GCFreak said:
Cool. I think this'll be a HUGE blast into the Emulation scene. Good luck! :).

One more question. What will be the minimum requirements for running this OS?
Thanks! ^^

As for the minimal specs;
2.0 GHz Processor
256MB RAM
4GB HDD
CD/DVD Drive
Radeon 9250/GeForce 4
Onboard sound card

So technically... a cheap Dell Dimension 2400 PC with an new video card could run this OS with just slight lag while emulating certain systems.

·
カラム
365 Posts
Cool. So my PC meets the requirements?

Can we have screenshots when you have the time?

1 - 20 of 109 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.