Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was wondering what systems/emulators can recognize each one of those, in that order:

7Z (7-Zip)
ZIP
RAR

And how many cannot, and will only load the original ISO/BIN/GMC/whatever/ files...

I need to do that research for archival purposes, since I am saving all roms I can in my external HDD. Some were 7-Zipped, some were not, because the console was using too many files, and changing that (from ZIP to 7Z, for example) will take too much time.

First, to copy all files from the external drive to my system (once it's formated or the internal HDD is lost/replaced), second: to compress all those files again in ZIP files to be recognized by the emulator, since it's important to not waste the internal HDD space either.

From my tests, I was able to save more space from the external HDD by compressing all roms in 7-Zip. But if there are too many roms I will avoid that step.

Here's my list from possible systems. A = Answer, if the emulator can recognize ZIP/RAR/7Z or neither. A = will answer all those questions.

You can contribute to this thread by providing the answers you know.

01 - Arcade/MAME

A: ?

02 - Fairchild-Zircon Channel F

03 - RCA Studio II

04 - Atari 2600

05 - Philips Odyssey 2

06 - Mattel Intellivision

07 - Tandy Color Computer

08 - Arcadia 2001

09 - Commodore 64

10 - ColecoVision

11 - Atari 5200

12 - Vectrex

13 - Bally Astrocade

14 - Microsoft MSX1

15 - Microsoft MSX2

16 - Memotech MTX

17 - Tangerine Oric-Atmos-TeleStrat

18 - Amstrad CPC

19 - Thomson MO5

20 - NES

21 - Master System-SG-1000-SC-3000

A: The "Fusion" emulator (I have tested the 3.6 version) cannot read 7Z/RAR files. Only ZIP.

22 - Atari 7800

23 - SAM Coupé

24 - Game Boy-Color

25 - TurboGrafx-16-PC-Engine

26 - Atari Lynx

27 - Mega Drive-Genesis-32X

A: Both the "Fusion" (tested on the 3.6 version) and "Gens" cannot read 7Z/RAR files. Only ZIP.

28 - Neo Geo-CD

29 - Sega Game Gear

A: The "Fusion" emulator (I have tested the 3.6 version) cannot read 7Z/RAR files. Only ZIP.

30 - Super NES-Famicom

A: ZSNES can only read ZIPped roms, which have the worst compression rate. RAR and 7Z are not recognized.

There is one frontend aplication for SNES, called NSRT, that can compress all roms into the JMA format, with the same level of compression used for 7-Zip (Ultra profile/max). It can be downloaded here.

If you wish to compress the rom, it's necessary to open the DOS prompt and type this syntax, making sure you are doing that on the NSRT EXE folder:

nsrt -savetype jma -rename [rom's-name.extension]

You need to use the "rename" command along with "savetype", it's not possible to use just one of them. "Rename" will give your rom the original title. After that procedure, the JMA file will be created and ZSNES will read with no problems at all.

Update: To process all files in the current directory:

nsrt -savetype jma -rename -r .

31 - Philips CD-I

A: The "CDI emulator" cannot read any kinds of compressed roms (neither 7Z/ZIP/RAR).

32 - Watara Supervision

33 - Sega-Mega-CD

A: Both the "Fusion" (tested on the 3.6 version) and "Gens" cannot read 7Z/RAR/ZIP files for this one. Only CUE/ISO/BIN.

34 - Panasonic 3DO

A: The FreDo emulator cannot read any kinds of compressed roms (neither 7Z/ZIP/RAR).

35 - Amiga CD32

36 - Atari Jaguar

37 - Bandai Playdia

38 - Sega Saturn

39 - Sony PlayStation 1

A: ePSXe cannot read any kinds of compressed roms (neither 7Z/ZIP/RAR).

40 - NEC PC-FX

41 - Nintendo 64

A: Project64 (tested on the 1.6 version) cannot read 7Z/RAR files. Only ZIP.

42 - Virtual Boy

43 - Tiger Game.com

44 - Neo Geo Pocket-Color

45 - Bandai WonderSwan-Color

46 - Sega Dreamcast

A: Chankast cannot read any kinds of compressed roms (neither 7Z/ZIP/RAR).

47 - Sony PlayStation 2

A: PCSX2 cannot read any kinds of compressed roms (neither 7Z/ZIP/RAR).

48 - Game Boy Advance

A: The No$GBA emulator cannot read 7Z/ZIP/RAR/compressed roms. Even if you use the MyZoom hack, it will NOT BE POSSIBLE to read 7Zipped roms, if they using the original .GBA extension on these files. However, if you rename them to .NDS, MyZoom will recognize them!

The Visual Boy Advance (also another GBA emulator) is able to read compressed roms, but only those who are using the ZIP profile.

49 - Nintendo GameCube

A: Dolphin cannot read any kinds of compressed roms (neither 7Z/ZIP/RAR).

50 - Nintendo DS

A: Alone, No$GBA cannot read 7Z/ZIP/RAR/compressed roms. But if you use the MyZoom hack, it will be possible to read only 7Zipped roms.

· Banned
35,081 Posts
NoGBA requires pkunizip.exe (rename unzip.exe 5.4 or 6.0)
No$Zoomer also does zipped files.

Snes, zip
zsnes, zip
VBA-M, 7z, zip
Kega Fusion, zip
PJ64, zip

Zip is comparable to rar when you set it to max lzma compression.

· Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ 龍我雷 Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
1,377 Posts
blueMSX supports multiple roms in one zip file, also supports compressed save states after I suggested that to devs..

· Emu Author
616 Posts
as of latest build my Space Invaders Arcade emulator supports zip support and my Gameboy Emulator will support zip support when it is finished as well, not sure yet if i will do 7-zip yet or not, guess i will see when it gets that far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.