Next Generation Emulation banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
i disabled HT throu the BIOS and il be damned if it aint fully playable. and this time i mean DeSmuME. only problem is my audio, its VERY slow now. i set it to frameskip 0 and the audio is on a buffer of 2500, but the game seems to play at normal speed, but the audio plays really slow.

shash, if u have msn or xfire and can add me let me kno, i think now that i have the emu running at speed we can figure this out.

p.s. thanks to you all for the help and ideas. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
My specs are:

- MOBO: Intel DG965RY
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 (2.13ghz 2mb l2)
- RAM: 6GB DDR2-800
- GPU: 256mb Nvidia 8600 GTS.

Desmume 0.9.0 runs New Super Mario Bros. EXTREMELY slow for me sometimes. On some map screens, it drops to about 30% speed, and during play, it bounces around anyhwere from 50% to 100%, which makes the game hard to play due to the inconsistent speeds. This is just New Super Mario Bros. I can't even get Mario Kart DS to even run (it just sits there at a white screen, the game works fine in no$gba tho).

I'm on a DUAL CORE cpu and even I can't run DS games on Desmume at reasonable speeds. I use frameskip 1 setting, but other settings don't really make a difference, anyways.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
most likely this is wrong, but its a shot in the dark.. maybe it has something to do with 8600s? we both have them and we both have poor performance.

and btw, i was a bit too over excited on my previous post, after running other games in the same emus, i got the same performance as i did with HT on. so it wasnt a HT problem.

and to the guy who has the 3000+, its no surprise that it runs these NDS emus! my gf has one and that thing is fast for an old cpu. its just odd that my P4 can wipe the floor with the 3000+ in some ares and yet epic fail at emulating NDS. one thing i noticed about all of the NDS emus is there are no CPU options, like Interpreter and Recompiler.. is that because of the ARM?

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
No it's not related to your graphics card. All you need there is something which is OpenGL compliant which pretty much anything aside from onboard has been for the past few years. Almost everything is CPU emulated thus if you don't have enough brunt there the emu runs slow. But yes you're right the P4 archtecture was slow and nothing compared to what system with the same Ghz runs like these days.

·
Registered
76 Posts
is the E6400 -that- weak that even as a dual core it can't run NDS emulation worth squat?

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
It's not running as a dual-core. It's running as a single core. No DS emu has dual-core/multi-core optimisations.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ok, this is even weirder.

In windows XP: Desmume runs New Super Mario Bros at FULL SPEED, but it's forcing a blurry filter whenever I use 2x window size. :(

In windows 7: the blurry filter is gone, so i see sharp pixels instead :D, however i get massive slowness in the same game. What gives here?

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Not within DeSmuME, unless I missed it. The only graphic setting it allows for at this stage is the setting of the renderer either to none or to OpenGL.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Yes shash, but you did not specify where that configuration should be checked. Configuring the graphics card is done it 2 places when it comes to emulation, there's it's own global firmware/control center/control panel or there's a graphic plugin within an emu (like N64 uses, like PCSX2 uses, like ePSXe uses etc).
In fact I am not even aware of any global setting to force bilinear filtering, so the only way to control that usually is from within the emu or the emu's graphic plugin...as to why in this case one OS applies it and the other does not I have no clue.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
I just had a look with nHancer (which contains more options than the regular nVidia Control panel) and I can't see anything aside from AA forcing (which is not the same as bilnear filtering) or Anisotropic filtering being forced that might affect emu image quality, but I highly doubt either applies and there certainly is nothing named bilinear filtering.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Any reason why Windows 7 would run the emulator way slower than XP? I'm assuming Vista would also suffer from the same problem, which may be what the other person with my issue might be running?

·
Elven-Dragon Mage
2,828 Posts
vista is more of a resource hog then xp is and sence 7 uses vistas base then it would use the same amount of resources thats why vista runs like crap on older hardware

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
7 is far optimised than Vista but I assume it's still a little more resource gungry than XP so that would explain the slower speed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nothing else is slower under 7 for me, though, in fact, many things are faster (my 7 is 64-bit). I can run games like Mirror's Edge and Quake Wars on maximum settings just fine, but an NDS emulator has problems keeping up.

My CPU usage in windows 7 is no different idle than it is in XP.

EDIT: Solved it. I set compatibility mode to XP for desmume_sse2 and it runs XP speed now. Must be a problem with the instructions under 7 then.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.