Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys first off thanks to anyone who reads this and takes the time out to help me with my problem.

I recently wanted to play Kingdom Hearts 1 on my PC. I have the original CD as well as the ISO. When i tried it on my PC i did not work, i guess my specs were too low. I eventually got it to play but at very slow speeds. So a couple of weeks later I ended up buying myself a 17" mac book pro.

Now there is a program on the mac book called Boot Camp, which lets you run Windows on the mac. It is the preferred program for people who want to run games on their mac's. So i figured this would be the key to playing KH1 (no pun intended) :D. So I install boot camp and download the emulator, plugins, etc.

Now here is my problem, no matter what type of combination i use with the plugins, i cant run the game at a normal speed.

Here are my mac book specs, i have the standard setup for a Mac book pro:
Apple - MacBook Pro - Technical specifications of the 17-inch.

I equipped the Boot Camp version of windows with about 2Gigs of RAM, and im guessing it is running on the same video card's that the Mac book is running (NVIDIA GeForce 9400M & NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT). I also gave it 2 virtual processors, i don't even know if it needs 2 but i put 2 just to be safe.

Now here is a screen of my settings. These settings get the game to run. The graphics looked perfect, the screen was a bit bouncy, but it was extremely slow, running at about 5-9fps. The CDVD Drive that i have now was the only one that let the game run.

When i try and run the PEOPS Plugin the Emulator screen disappears and i have to wait about 3-5mins then I get an error saying "Error opening CDVD plugin"
Here are the settings i was using for the PEOPS

So im not a 100% sure if it has to do with the graphics plugin, or the CDVD Plugin. So that's why i need some help. I have seen people running the PS2 emulator smoothly on the mac so im almost positive the problem is'int with the computer itself, i mean it has 2 NVIDIA graphics cards that are both 9000+ so why wouldn't it be able to run the emulator?

Sorry for this being so long, im just trying to provide all the info i can so someone can help me resolve this problem. Thanks again to anyone who can help me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Boot camp pretty much uses the mac hardware to run windows programs. Like i said before, its the preferred program for running games on macs. So i do not see why it wouldn't work.

Someone from another forum told me to update everything and i still get these errors.

The PEOPS still dosent work, i get the same error. Then when i switch to ZeroGS it loads it pretty well until it hits the first cut scene right after you select new game. Then the FPS dips to about 15 from 60. I tried using the LunizISO CD plugin and it started to slow down as soon as I hit the select new game menu. I also tried the Gigaherz CD plugin with the GSDx video plugin, and it also starts to get very sluggish as soon as it hits the first menu.

Ill take a screen shot of each individual setting if anyone thinks that'll help.

·
Registered
38 Posts
What game are you trying to run? Your trying to run it from the CD or ISO?
If your trying to run it from the CD, rip an ISO and load the ISO if possible using DVD Decrypter. ISO's can boot FPS significantly.

EDIT: Sorry, I just noticed you said Kingdom Hearts now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i have both a CD and an ISO version of the game. What exactly is a dvd decrypter?
And what plugin do you suggest i use when running the ISO? Because so far ive only been using the CD.

·
Registered
38 Posts
There's a plugin for ISOs... I don't remember the name off hand. One of the CD plugins support it, I suggest looking for it. I don't have access to PCSX2 at the moment. This should boost your FPS to a decent point, if you still can't get a decent framerate then try some speedhacks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
What are the names of some speed hacks i can use? And how much do they boost the fps by? At the first cut scene i am running at about 17-29fps will the hack get me to 60?

Alright i actually fixed the problem with some help from another forum member.

If anyone is interested, running bootcamp through a virtual machine took up too much of the processor so that is why it was running at such a slow speed. I had to run boot camp through its separate hard drive and that fixed the problem. I am now running at about 60-70 frames.

So thanks to everyone who helped, i appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Just try the hacks to see if its enough.
But judging from your really poor performance right now, I doubt you'll get fullspeed emulation from that mac.
Dunno what causes it, but I guess its that bootcamp thing.

Edit: Knew it! :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.