Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently downloaded the Dolphin emulator, SVN R 2276. I'm using the basic plugins installed along with DolphinOpenGL for graphics.

I'm trying to run Resident Evil and Skies of Arcadia, and are experiencing slight issues for both.

For RE, I don't get a fullscreen picture, and there's some minor graphic errors. The game also runs real slow, around 15 fps.

Skies fares a bit better, but the screen will turn completely red every few seconds.

Please help me to configure the settings so it can run as best it can.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Strange, I didn't see a higher build on the official website.

Even so, looking at the site now, all I see for 64 bit is 2390. Where's the link to the most current, 2400+ build?

·
Mr. Technological
5,933 Posts
That's because the website only has weekly builds, one new build per week. If you want the latest builds more frequently you'll have to turn to various members including myself who compile and host frequently updated builds.

I'll just tell you that even though the full screen issue is fixed with the OGL plugin, you aren't going to see good speeds with your current CPU, FPS will vary between 10 - 15 FPS up to 20 - 23 FPS in games such as Resident Evil Remake, with other games speed could be worse or better depending on the game..

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah, whoops, didn't notice the sigs there. Thanks for that.

Well with RE, I get a new issue. The character models are intact, but the pre-rendered backgrounds are completely black. It's like they're walking in the dark. How do I fix this?

Also when I start up the emulator it gives me an error, saying the plugin VideoDX9.dll can't be found. Should I be using the Dolphin IL exe instead?

And is there really no way to get 60 fps on RE or RE0? I thought those two were confirmed to work fine. Is there a list of current GC and Wii games that do run mostly perfectly?

I tried Skies of Arcadia, and it seems to run just fine except for some sound issues. It sounds like it's playing part of the song, but not the other part. Some sound effects are missing too. What's the best configuration for sound?

Also, there's some slight tearing. Is there a vsynch option.

And finally, when I want to minimize or close the emulator while it's on fullscreen mode, what do I do?

·
Registered
76 Posts
REmake still has slowdowns, but RE Zero runs fullspeed, 30fps all the time :) And thats the max, since it runs 30fps on the console too...
As for black backgrounds, I think you checked the wrong hack in graphich plugin (for Remake you need R945 checked, R844 gives black borders for me, and Zero works with R844, or with both unchecked, depending on the revision of Dolphin)...
As long for vsync, you can force it from your drivers (see your graphic card's control panel).
As for minimizing, you should just press escape or double click it, it should work? I dont get this one, but okay...
Dx9 pluign error is common, it happens randomly as far as I know, but you dont use that plugin, you use open gl, so that shouldnt bother you.

·
-o-
261 Posts
Ah, whoops, didn't notice the sigs there. Thanks for that.

Well with RE, I get a new issue. The character models are intact, but the pre-rendered backgrounds are completely black. It's like they're walking in the dark. How do I fix this?
No, you can't.

Also when I start up the emulator it gives me an error, saying the plugin VideoDX9.dll can't be found. Should I be using the Dolphin IL exe instead?
Try update your DirectX to latest version and update Visual C++ Redist. IL version is pretty speed up some game.

And is there really no way to get 60 fps on RE or RE0? I thought those two were confirmed to work fine. Is there a list of current GC and Wii games that do run mostly perfectly?
It should be in future.

If you have problem to run IL version, tried my build.

·
Mr. Technological
5,933 Posts
No, you can't.
Yes you can fix it, instead of using the projection hack of revision 844, you'll have to use the projection hack of 945 this time around in the OGL plugin settings.

If you want the aspect ratio fixes, you'll have to use the normal builds of Dolphin, as the "soap" branch doesn't have John Petersons fixes implemented yet..

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My most major issue right now is the sound. It sounds like I'm only getting half the sound effects and music, and I don't know how to fix it. Is there a separate sound plugin or change I can do?

Also, RE0 runs about half-speed. I haven't checked any of the patch settings for 2448, since I apparently didn't have to do so with Zero.

And, double clicking or pressing the ESC key doesn't minimize the emulator from fullscreen. I've had to hit the windows key, then right click to close the program. Is there a way to just turn it off with a key press?

·
Mr. Technological
5,933 Posts
Well your processor is quite slow/weak for CPU intensive emulators such as Dolphin and Pcsx2 thus the poor performance speedwise.

For optimal speed a Core2Duo/Core2Quad is recommended, and even then you will find those won't run everything at 100% (60 FPS) due to the emulator being in development, various rendering issues, and isn't fully optimized yet.

You are most likely getting the best speed you possibly can for now, the only thing to do is wait until the emulator is optimized better, upgrade your processor or play it on a Gamecube/Wii until things improve.

Even as things progress and are optimized better, I still wouldn't expect a huge speed boost or games running full speed other than 2d games with your current processor.

·
Registered SuperKyo
3,000 Posts
For optimal speed a Core2Duo/Core2Quad is recommended, and even then you will find those won't run everything at 100% (60 FPS) due to the emulator being in development, various rendering issues, and isn't fully optimized yet.
But if you're user of weak Core 2 Quad or AMD Phenom X4... Dolphin has better performance with Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon X2 (especially with 4.0 Ghz speed) ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts