Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am having difficulty troubleshooting this issue. Basically after about an hour or so of playing Kingdom Hearts 2, the emulator crashes with the familiar "This program has stopped working" error message. I have tried it with all speed hacks off (as I normally have the cycle rate set to 2x) but the same thing happens. The game itself is running fine with no in-game crashes. Just the emulator itself. Any idea what the matter could be? I dumped this ISO myself from my original disc so I am absolutely certain it's not a faulty disc image causing the crash. I can play other games like Final Fantasy XII for hours and it won't crash but this game here is giving me trouble.

I am using PCSX2 0.96. Here are my plugin settings in case you need to know although I do not suspect this to be a plugin problem (hence, I am posting here instead of the plugin troubleshooting forum) because no specific dll is referenced in the crash report (usually I see the dll if a plugin crashes):

My system specs are in my sig (and they are up to date).

Thanks in advance to anyone who can solve this. I would really love to give Kingdom Hearts 2 a playthrough if possible since it looks way better on my PC than when I played it on my actual PS2.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Solved!

Ok I seemed to have solved my own problem. Neither the emulator nor its plugins was the culprit. It was my overclock settings all along. I never expected this because I could run FFXII for hours and it wouldn't crash (aside from a BSOD once in a blue moon). I made the following changes and now it works just fine:

- FSB: 433->409
- RAM Speed: DDR3 1302Mhz->DDR3 1300Mhz
- North Bridge: 266Mhz->333Mhz
Resulting CPU Speed: 3.49Ghz->3.26Ghz

I notice no performance loss with the slightly decreased processor speed at all and plus stability is more important anyway. Good :)
It's likely the few BSOD's I had in FFXII were a result of this as well. The CPU wasn't overheating, the RAM is what was causing the issue. I will update my sig with the changed specs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
hi...just a question... does KH runs smoothly on pcsx2? i mean with how much fps?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
hi...just a question... does KH runs smoothly on pcsx2? i mean with how much fps?
VERY SMOOTH actually. I got a full 60FPS all the time (but on the other hand, I have a high end PC too). Nevertheless, the system requirements to get full speed in Kingdom Hearts seems to be less than say FFXII or FFX. I know this because If I switch off "speed hacks", KH2 will still run at full speed all the time. In FFXII, I have the default cycle rate to 2x since slowdowns will otherwise occur in larger areas with more sprites (and I want to keep the framerate at 60 which I CAN do with the speedhack on).

NOTE: Speedhacks do not affect FMV's in KH2 (in case you need them). They only cause sound glitches at very very infrequent moments.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.