Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not a post about when emulation will be released or anything.. but i didn't know what to call this without making it sound that way so i named it generic... emulation

Anyways....I was wondering why is emulators so hard to develop?
I understand that your emulating a very complex piece of hardware becuase of procesors etc. but why can't you bypass some of that and just have it think it's a ps2 hardware then have it able to read and process with your cpu power and all the game itself?

I know i am unknowledable about how emulation and console systems work... That's what's the thread is about before you get mad :)

If you could explain or throw in some links were i can find my answers that would be appreciated :)

Ty...

- Kupo (kamwah7)

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
You are trying to make a PC believe it's an entirely differnt piece of hardware. This means that the program has to intercept every call a game can make to the console hardware and intepret it for PC hardware. The difficulty increases the more complex a machine is (and the PS2 is particularly complex in that it incoporates parrallel processing. Almost as hard as the Saturn :p) and when you consider that architectures are oft far removed for normal PC hardware....
Take for instance the PS2. IIRC it still has more memory bandwidth than any consumer PC. How do you emulate that?

·
Registered
356 Posts
I think he's on to something! You have just solved the problem of emulation. Now we will be able to run every game at full speed perfect graphic and it all thanks to you.

No seriously, not all the componets in the PS2 are like PC. So we try to "emulate" the PS2 on the PC. pretty much everything that goes on in the PS2 is being excuted by the emulator. Problem is there is alot.

I let someone else explain it better...

*edit, yeah I was a little late on the post, sue me!

·
wtfbbq
559 Posts
Kamwah said:
This is not a post about when emulation will be released or anything.. but i didn't know what to call this without making it sound that way so i named it generic... emulation

I understand that your emulating a very complex piece of hardware becuase of procesors etc. but why can't you bypass some of that and just have it think it's a ps2 hardware then have it able to read and process with your cpu power and all the game itself?

I know i am unknowledable about how emulation and console systems work... That's what's the thread is about before you get mad :)

If you could explain or throw in some links were i can find my answers that would be appreciated :)

Ty...

- Kupo (kamwah7)
Before anyone decides to get the guns and ban this person (Not mentioning any names...), allow me to answer this question.

That's what emulation is, making your computer thinking it's a PS2. There is no way of bypassing any type of hardware in the PS2, that's like saying a part of hardware that is the heart is obsolete when it is really needed. The PS2 is a beast, almost all the components of the PS2 are emulated (Almost, but not quite...). There is a problem of having the code generate itself fast enough to run at a good speed, which is a step the authors haven't taken yet simply because the emulator is incomplete..

Hope this helps you understand why you can't disreguard anything in emulation. There are people in the IRC chan waiting to rip your head off for asking this question, but I have decided to answer it as best as I can.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Kamwah said:

Ty...

- Kupo (kamwah7)
You can't just go "HEY PC I WANT YOU TO ACT LIKE A PS2 FOR ME AND ILL GIVE YOU A COOKIE OK?". It doesn't know what a PS2 is. You have to code a program that "emulates" every last little behaviour of the PS2.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Dont forget the ps2 is a entierly different type of computer system, such as it is based on a 128 bit processer (dont quote me on this), while your pc is running on 32 bit processing. Not to mention the CPU and GPU design are quite different from usual pc ones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts