Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Got Weed?
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I dunno where to keep up on this, but is anyone still working on Saturn emulation? Seems like it's still nowhere near complete. And the SSF homepage looks deadish.

Edit -> Been a while now. Why are both of Sega's 3D capable consoles so poorly emulated? Maybe we should pay the dudes from a solid emu like PCSX2 or Dolphin to do it better lol. Or is it just a matter of difficult? I don't understand how a PSX emu can do so well but a DC or Saturn emu is way hit and miss...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Maybe we should pay
So how much are you willing to pay? :)

But yeah, its been explained countless times. Saturn is a VERY complex system with LOTS of (tiny) details (that are actually required to make games look right/run). To make matters worse, the docs are either wrong or you (I?) aren't really able to understand them (the guys who translated the docs from Japanese to English, or should I say Engrish, need to be shot).

I was working on one Saturn emu myself (for about 8 months) but I stopped 3 months ago due to work/real life crap and after that I didn't get any motivation to start working again. So yeah, how much are you willing to pay? =P

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
I dunno where to keep up on this, but is anyone still working on Saturn emulation? Seems like it's still nowhere near complete. And the SSF homepage looks deadish.

Edit -> Been a while now. Why are both of Sega's 3D capable consoles so poorly emulated? Maybe we should pay the dudes from a solid emu like PCSX2 or Dolphin to do it better lol. Or is it just a matter of difficult? I don't understand how a PSX emu can do so well but a DC or Saturn emu is way hit and miss...
Yabause | Get Yabause at SourceForge.net

·
Got Weed?
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

But yeah, its been explained countless times. Saturn is a VERY complex system with LOTS of (tiny) details (that are actually required to make games look right/run). To make matters worse, the docs are either wrong or you (I?) aren't really able to understand them (the guys who translated the docs from Japanese to English, or should I say Engrish, need to be shot).

I was working on one Saturn emu myself (for about 8 months) but I stopped 3 months ago due to work/real life crap and after that I didn't get any motivation to start working again. So yeah, how much are you willing to pay? =P
Haha, well I was joking ... But i'm 95% certain i'd pay for someone to do up a proper DC emu with say Demul's graphic/audio accuracy and nulldc's speed capabilities ...

Oh yay a source page, thanks man.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Hahaha, that's now 4 unreleased Saturn emus so far. 2 just in the recent year.

And yeah, the docs are incomplete at some parts. SCU DSP is supposedly not documented well enough, and because of this, Virtua Fighter (Remix) has every character fighting as jedis. Kick a dude and he ends up teleporting behind you, out of the ring by a mile.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
(..)
Nice, I've been willing to start one for some time now, as probably wouldn't suffer the same amount of stupid people than while working on DS and PSP emulators.

·
Got Weed?
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Feel free to get some of those emus to a release and recieve crazy brownie points. :p

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Well, afaik, SSF is almost perfect, that I know of, so, personally, it's just a matter of knowing how the Saturn works internally (as I wanted to know when I worked on my Gameboy emulator, DeSmuME, jpcsp and pcsp), so a release or a perfect emulator is not a must in my list :/

·
Da Gath man!
11 Posts
Hey guys IVe been having some issues with me cdvd plugin the gigaherz 0.7.0 and getting it to run my game disks.. hell i havent gotten it to run a single one! could someone help me out here or atleast tell me there is a better emulator for ps2 then pcsx2?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Could you please back up that with a more technical definition of "far from it"? Keep in mind that I don't consider 1-2 games failing, from a large catalog of games a major bug.
I've tested the complete PAL library, and only around 80% was working fine or with minor bugs. SCU DSP is not perfect (this may be due to lack of documentation, or because it's not properly timed to the rest of the system). There are a bunch of sound bugs, either because bugs in the SCSP DSP emulation (Radiant Silvergun tune 5A, pitch control in the CD Player), or because of unemulated features (PLFO, makes the demo tune in VF Kids have a lot of whitenoise, as well as pitch problems in almost everything that uses FM sound). Between new versions, some games pinball between not booting, breaking after a level, and working correctly, with many problems being recurring ones. PAL VDP2 timing is not correct, causing a few games to have graphics falling off of the screen.

SSF is by far the most capable Saturn emulator right now, but it's far from being "perfect".

·
Got Weed?
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sooo ... Since that little argument is outta the way ... Anyone wanna finish an emu?

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
the SSF gui needs an overhaul...... its not very nt6 friendly.....

1 - 20 of 42 Posts