Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to upgrade my computer and cannot decide between a new processor or a new video card. I currently have a voodoo3 and P3 650E. I know on PC games the video card affects it more than the processor but i am not sure about PSX emulation. If I was to upgrade it would be either a geforce3 or a athlon 1.13 Ghz processor with DDR memory. My question is will a new video card affects performance of epsxe a noticible amount or is it mostly CPU dependant.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I recommend to buy a new graphics card since your processor can be considered as optimal for ePSXe 1.2
I have a pentium III @ 700 MHz and it hasn't any problem to process ePSXe. May be you want to overclock your CPU if you have minor sound problems or something like that (generally you can overclock up to 50 MHz without buying a new ventilator and without any risk).
The only thing that brakes my PC is my old graphics card :(
I can't play reasonably in 32 bit mode and/or in higher resolutions like 1024x768

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
In my opinion you already should have a very good performance with a P3-650 and a V3
(using Lewpy's plugin)...

Even on my p3-550 and a V2 I get perfect speed with most games :)

3DFX cards are a good choice when it comes to psx emulation... thanx to Lewpy's
hard work!

A GF3 will not improve psx emulation speed very much (well, you would get some
visual goodies like 32 bit color depths and hardware 'advanced blending', I have to admit),
and all reviews I have seen also are stating you should use the GF3 with a 1GHz CPU
at least, so I would first go after the faster CPU, and get me a newer gfx card in 6 months or so,
when the GF3 card got cheaper ;)

·
Registered
345 Posts
yeah i was running epsxe on a PII 233 (the bare minimum) with 2 voodoo2's sli'ed at almost full speed using lewpys. but when i did upgrade to an athlon 1.2 GHz it increased performance quite a bit and i was then able to use my better video card. before using open gl, or direct x on my ATI Rage 128 it looked hella nice but ran hella slow. now it runs smooth and all

but then again, if you buy a new processor, you need a new MoBo and since you want to get DDR ram, you are going to need new memory also. that investment could get quite expensive. although you are looking into getting a Geforce3

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i used to get very good performance(i always run at maximum and video sounds quality) but with these new plugins( i upgraded to lewpy 1.32 and nulls 1.35) it runs slow again but I have noticted much better sound, not sure about video quality(i think it seems better) but it runs slow so i figured i'd upgrade my computer.

S

·
0 Posts
I think I would go w/the processor first and the card second. That way the processor can take whatever the card "throws" at it. Last year I got an Athlon 650 before I got my GEForce 2 GTS. At the time I was using a Voodoo 3 3000. I noticed an immediate increase in performance as soon as I installed the Athlon. Then when I got my GEForce card, I noticed another performance increase. Then this year I got my Athlon 900 and, you guessed, another performance increase. So I would reccommend the processor first.:)
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
171 Posts
i upgraded my pc about two months ago ,or less ((after i burned my 600 celeron while trying to over clock it ))
any way i found a grat difference after using the duron 800 (amd athlon 800 but with only 192 k cache )
thats because it uses the fsb 200MHZ, but the intels products doesnt,
it only uses the 133MHZ fsb max (celeron uses the 66 MHZ fsb only)
and i got a geforce 2 MX 32 MB and a 192 MB ram pc133
my freind have got a pIII 733 (133MHZ fsb) 96 MBram pc133 and an s3 savage4 (128 bit 32 MB ram )
my pc is quite faster than his with emulation and every thing thanks to the fsb 200 and the more ram.
i think that it gives me all the power i dreamed of getting from my new pc.
there is one thing that im sure about is that the geforce 3 is a lot more than any game or emulator needs (till now at least).
thats why i think that there is no use of wasting that much of money on some thing you will not need all of its power .
if you just wait till the prices drops a bit i think that the games and software that will need all of its power will start to release
i think the best thing you could do is getting a 1 GHZ(266 fsb athlon thunder bird) you might need a new mainboard for it, 128 MB ram at least(ddr is better but not a must) or you just
can use your old ram's.
and get a geforce 2 with an 64 MB ram .
((gts)) is a good choice , MX is a cheaper one with fair power (like the one i've got) )
you could get all these for the price of the geforce 3 only .
with these you could get the optimum speed for epsxe vgs bleem and what ever else not forgetting the pc games too (even using 32 bit color depth ;tested it my self)
and if need to ask any more questions or needed help im ready to help.
bye for now...

* -- fsb = front side bus

1 - 7 of 7 Posts