Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, my computer isn't the greatest, first of all:

System Specs:
Intel Celeron 366
98 megs ram
Windows ME (system restore disabled)
Guillemot Maxi Gamer Phoenix (Voodoo Banshee chipset) using 1.04 banshee reference drivers (not Guillemot's drivers) to avoid menu glitches in certain games.
Hercules Game Theatre XP
A random 8-button controller with Saitek drivers
http://members.home.com/dark-talon/8button.zip
(If anyone needs 8-button drivers for a generic controller, try these above provided by Saitek. They're posted on my @home space and I personally vouch that they don't contain any viruses)

EPSXe plugins used:
Lewpy's 3dfx/Glide³ GPU 1.35
Null2's Audio Driver 1.3
ePSXe CDR ASPI core 1.4.0.

Okay, now on to the problem. When I play games, they run perfectly until XA audio is introduced, in both movies and in gameplay--it stutters about every two seconds or so. I've heard from many people that this is just something that they've had to deal with, but short of buying a new computer (or using my playstation), is there any way to prevent this from happening, or lessen the occurance of it?

Thank you,

Dark-Talon

S

·
0 Posts
I would say to consider trying another SPU. Pete's Direct Sound SPU vers 1.11 is an excellent choice and from what I have seen, XA music plays excellently with it. Iori's latest SPU version 1.48 (I think it is 1.48 or mybe it is vers. 1.49) is also excellent and XA music plays well w/it as well. Why not give one of these a try and see what you think. Best of luck.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
900 Posts
im kind of wondering how you can even run playstation on a celeron 333. how slow is it? the reason i'm asking is because i have a pretty fast system but a crappy graphics card. right now a celeron @ 952 mhz. graphics card is a diamond viper 550.

this weekend I'm getting a new p3 1ghz cdo. should speed things up slightly. i still need to get a new graphics card.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, believe it or not, it runs as smooth as silk in game.. I've been playing Tenchu 2, Breath of Fire IV, Harvest Moon and Castlevania: SoTN mostly and the only time I have a problem is with XA audio, which is just a stutter (comparable to how the PSX stutters during FMVs when it gets too hot, or when it's a bit older)

·
Registered
900 Posts
haha. i have to flip my psx upside down so it reads cds correctly since the shocks are dead on it. i have the first psx. i bought it at walmart about 6 years ago or whenever it came out for $300.

oh yea. kind of proves my point. its more about what graphics card you have than what processor.

·
Registered
68 Posts
He's got a voodoo banshee. Is that proving your point? And if you're going to invest in a new component this weekend, why go from a 950 cellery to a 1Ghz P3? Why not go with a GeForce2 GTS or Ultra? That would certainly help a lot more than a 50Mhz improvement...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's really rather amazing.. With my PoS computer, I've been able to run games that my friends (with upper end machines) couldn't run for some reason or another.. But despite my luck with this machine (and only spending around $20 for the processor about 2 years ago) I think it's time to move on. I've already invested in a Cambridge SoundWorks surround and a Game Theatre XP, so I'm pretty happy with my audio configuration. I got a TDK Velo CD burner, which I'm also happy with.. But as far as what I need, I was thinking that I'd go for a P4 processor and a Hercules 3D Prophet III.. I'm sure that'd get me the speed boost I'm looking for. Anyone out there on a P4 or using a 3D Prophet III? Basically, I'm just looking for some comments about them before I go blow a bunch of cash.. Anyone have either good or bad experiences with them?

Thanks,

Dark-Talon

·
Registered
6 Posts

because, Dirk, there isn`t anything as a "celeron @ 952 mhz". Well, it would have to be overclocked. By the way, a Celeron is waaaay slower than a Pentium chipset. I would know, since I work with building computers. A Pentium 1ghz could easily be overclocked (using a new fan and mabye some Goop - cooling paste). I bet the Celeron is a 700mhz. So he would actually be upgrading his processor power by 300mhz, AND get a chipset that is 20-30% faster.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Right Click My computer, select properties (Device manager) then go to your cdrom settings and select(Put a check beside) DMA.
pauses every 2 seconds are always DMA related or just bad cdrom drives.

·
Premium Member
2,712 Posts
Dark-Talon, you were saying about buying a P4, right? I really think you should get an Athlon, the performance is great and is MUCH cheaper than Intel's cpus. Wait a bit for the Athlon Palomino and Pentium4 Northwood to be released(end of year), and check a comparison between them.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Re: ...

Originally posted by TuDWoWBaN
because, Dirk, there isn`t anything as a "celeron @ 952 mhz". Well, it would have to be overclocked. By the way, a Celeron is waaaay slower than a Pentium chipset. I would know, since I work with building computers. A Pentium 1ghz could easily be overclocked (using a new fan and mabye some Goop - cooling paste). I bet the Celeron is a 700mhz. So he would actually be upgrading his processor power by 300mhz, AND get a chipset that is 20-30% faster.
Plus, a Celeron 700MHz is slower than a P3 700MHz. Architecture differences....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Nice to hear that you "work with computers". How proud you must be.

All I was saying is that if he's using a voodoo banshee, then it's certainly his biggest bottleneck. A video upgrade (even to GeForce2 MX) would help more than a processor upgrade.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You can actually run ePSXe on a suprisingly slow processor. I was playing Star Ocean 2 on an AMD K-6 266, 96MB RAM, and a VooDoo 3 2000 for about 6 months.it ran at about 50 FPS fairly steady. So a good video card can really make up for a crappy processor.
Now I'm one of the 'near 1Gz' crowd, with my Duron 800, and yes the only reason I bought it was to play PSX games :)
(and Dungeon Keeper II + Black and White)

·
(>^_^)> *KIRBY*
2,612 Posts
u lucky ppl i got a celeron 900 :( im thinking about getting a whole bunch of ram to speed it up a lil tho :D maybe a new video card too... hmmmm...

·
Lost in Time
2,289 Posts
Well, since this has became a hardware thread anyway, i'll fire up one post too.
FINALLY, i'm back to the board! My old mobo did crash even with animated gifs! I couldn't post anymore... But I got a Asus CUSL2-C without modem and audio onboard (and a AGP4X instead of a AGPpro but, hey!) and now my system is rock solid! Even the Zsnes emu (kept crashing with mode 7 sequences) now runs smothly. So the point in this. Don't buy a P3V133 from Asus, it's known that this chipset (Via Apollo 133) is buggy anyway. But as for the rest, I'm really happy to be with you guys again...;)

It's been a tough week...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts