Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, how did everyone get involved in emulation. Me persoanlly I always wondered the end to these old Atari and Commodore games I never finished. I was hoping to find a discussion group, so someone could tell me how they ended or how I should have beaten the game. I put the names in a search engine and something about playing the games on your pc came up. Ithen spent a long time playing those onld Atari and Commodore games. Then one day, just on a impulse I entered "playstation emulator" in the searcrch, then a page about Bleem and VGS. As I explorered it more, I found programs like ePSXe

·
Registered
313 Posts
NO replyies??
OK, i guess i will have to start this...
My first time by GEO
i had my first contact with emus with the snes emulation, why? DBZ at the time was rocking high here at my zone, so that's why i got introduced to the fantastic world of emu...i developed knowlege and foud n64 emu, ultra HLE...wich only worked if you had a voodoo....nothing that a glide wrapper didn't handle...at the same time psxemus came also to my computer and psemu pro was really awsome!! since then i have been within the emu comunity mostly about psxemu, but sometimes i also like to run snes emu software as also checking some new n64 programs also
Your turn now....

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I think I got into emus a little late. My first contact was when I bought Bleem! I was amazed at the thought of playing palystation on my PC so I bought it. Well I played bleem for a little while with the few games I could find that actually worked. After not thinking of emus for a while I decided to search for other PSX emus and stumbled upon PSXemu.com and of coarse ePSXe. Wow what a difference, ePSXe actually plays my games.:eek:
As for other types of emus, I haven't gotten into them yet, partly because I have a really slow connection right now so downloading arcade or N64 roms is kinda out of the question.

·
playing FGO
10,134 Posts
hmmm...

well the first time i ran an emulator was zsnes, and my first game was Tokimeki Memorial. then after getting hooked on snes emulation i wondered if there was also emulation for PSX, and a search on Yahoo! brought me here. :)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I remember my friend telling me about an N64 emulator called UltraHLE. I didn't think that it really would be possible to play N64 games on my PC but I gave it a go anyway. At first I did not have a voodoo card so I had to use a glide wrapper to get any results, as you can imagine, in the early days glide wrappers were not too well developed so graphical problems were inevitable. This emulator made me go out and buy a voodoo card and subsequently I bought a real N64, just to play Super Mario 64 and Zelda: Ocarina Of Time (one of my all time favourites). So after trying N64 stuff, I then moved to the PSX. I used PSEmuPro at that time and was able to play some of my PSX games on my PC. Bleem! then came out (which I bought straight away) and then I started to realise that you could actually play PSX games at a higher resolution than the actual PSX! Well now ePSXe is available (which I use regularly) and it plays about 95% of the games that I own, so I am quite happy about that - and to be able to use my real PSX controller on my PC makes for a better gaming experience. I have also played around with MAME and other arcade emulators (Out Run being my favourite arcade game), also tried ZX Spectrum emulators (ZX32 etc.) to play Jet Set Willy and Manic Miner (this takes me back a few years!). I would like to write an emulator one day, I can see why emulator coders write emulators - I dont think they do it to actually play games, I think they are written to show people what they can acheive. Anyway, end of story... :cool:

B

·
0 Posts
Hmm, emulation ... funny history.

It was at a so called 'Netcon', that's how we call our big LAN parties (we're at 17 by now) ... I think it was one of the first, where I saw someone playing Super Mario World on his PC and I was immediately amazed because it was one of the reasons I ever bought a SNES ... so I leeched all the roms and emus he had ... though at that time, many games ran badly, so I lost interrest again some time later.

Then, quite some time later, I heard about PSEmu Pro, and was amazed yet again; but I was one of those people I'd call "Newbies" those days, and quickly noticed that it was more for those "freaks" to run that stuff.
My real start into emulation then was the release of UltraHLE. I always wanted to play Mario64 and Zelda64, but didn't had the money to purchase a N64+those games, so I was quite happy. I discovered Zelda64 on a FTP, where I, just for fun, left my ICQ number ...

The next day, the owner of that FTP contacted me and we soon became friends. One day he told me that he's working on a page called "Unofficial UltraHLE page" (or something like that), which, some time afterwards, turned into EmuHQ; anyway, I started helping him with the site (http://bleem.emuhq.com to take a look) and after he lost interrest, took it over completly.

Well, that's the beginning of everything, the rest can be read in the history page of PSXEmu :) Enjoy your day :cool:

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
The first time i used an emulator was Znes... thks to all mighty Final Fantasy... then I started with Bleem, and soon i've found my self downloading every emulator i could find!! :p

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
The very first emulator that I used and totally got me hooked was GenEm (Genesis Emulator) by Markus Gietzen.... found it sometime in 1996. From there, I found all these emulation news sites (Emu News Service, Zophar's Domain, Archaic Ruins, etc etc) and kept myself updated ever since then... You guys should try playing Final Fantasy III/VI on an early version of SNES9X (well, no Zsnes at that time yet).... no white noise emulation at the time, so sound effects were REALLY screwy... but anyways :)

·
Scourge of the Seven Seas
2,412 Posts
My story . . .

I was reading in a Gamer's Republic, and they had an article about SNES9x. I was instantly intersted, especially in playing StarFox. I played it for a while (2 days), then switched to ZSNES, 'cause it was better. I also got into other games I never got to play. RPG's (recently fell in love with FFVII) like the FF's and Chrono Trigger. Then I looked for a N64 emulator to play StarFox 64. Right now, I'm patiently waiting for the next Nemu release, the only one to work on my computer.
When I heard the tragic news that FFIX wasn't coming to the PC, I bought bleem, but it sucked. Bought me a PSOne. While waiting for a new release of bleem :eyes: , I got into some Genesis emulation to play Sonic 3 (best platformer I've ever played). God bless savestates! :love: On a whim, I went to the links page in bleem.com, and I fount this place! ePSXe BABYYYY!!! FFIX on my 4xFSAA packed computer!! I'm in heaven . . .

At this moment, I'm patiently waiting for a Saturn emulator for Panzer Dragoon. It's always been ONE game . . . :D

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Mines similar

Go waaaay back to 1994. My fav mag had a special where they put a spectrum emulator onto the front cover with lots of roms. I enjoyed these but as I hadn't any internet access back then (Hands up who tried to run the net on win 3.1. Man that was fun:rolleyes: ) So I forgot about it.

Fast forward to '96 The same mag had a review of the dump in their internet section. But I still hadn't got net access so I did bother too much with it

Forward again 6 months. I got net access and was looking through old mags to see if there was any cool sites. Came across the one above. Visited it got genecyst and a few roms and was hooked. Then it was snes9x (sound was terrible back then) followed by massage, virtualGB, emulators for every console that I wished I had when I was a kid. It was easy to get roms back then, hell even daves classics had them. I then tried psxemu (not the pro edition) the original dos one but could get anything to run so I gave up on the psx and went back to the others.

Thgis is why I had no problem getting a bios file. In the docs that came with it was a url to a site that had one! Man things have changed.

Fast forward again to about 3 years ago. I tried the new psxemu pro. This time I got teken 3 to run. Then it got cancelled just as I was getting good.

Next came the bleem demo which was amazing! So I ordered it and thus started a lot of frustration. Eventually it came out. Somewhere around now Ultrahle hit so I got that too but I don't really like n64 that much.

Then I started to read the Bleem Message board to try and learn somemore. I never registered 'cos I'm paranoyed about others getting hold of my mail.

Bobbi was an mod there for a while if memory serves correct. Then psxemu came around and then vgs and then he wasn't anymore.

Then the board shut down so I lost interest.

Then one day I decided to check this site again. I downloaded epsxe and found that old bios file on a cd lying in the cupboard. I was amazed again.

Finally 3 things happened that got me posting. First I got FF9 Uk and couldn't get it to run. Second I had a question that no one had asked and third the new board opened. So I figured what the hell.

And I've been here ever since.

S

·
0 Posts
Now for my story. I started out as a Commodore man, Vic-20, SX-64, and Amiga 500. I also owned, at various time, an Atari 2600, Sega Master system, 8 bit Nintendo, Gamboy, Game Gear, SNES, Sega Genesis and Sega CD. I had always wanted to try the PSX, but at the time I couldn't afford one and my wife would never have agreed to my getting one. So, in 1996 I got rid of my Amiga 500 and printer, but I hung on to my SNES and Sega CD-X (Genesis and CD all in one unit). We move to the house that we are buying and I found myself missing my computer. Video game consoles were just not the same. So, in the spring of 1996 I found an "ancient 286 Toshiba lap top" for sale, I bought it and was introduced to the wide world of the PC. I then bought a 386 that was falling apart and quickly upgraded it to a 586/133. I then got internet access. While on the internet one day, I ran across something that mentioned being able to play VIC-20 games on your PC. I thought "No way is this possible, they are two totally different machines". I checked, found it was so, and have been hooked ever since. I now have emulators for Atari 2600, Gameboy, Game Gear, Master System, Genesis, SNES, PSX (of course), GBA, Commodore 64, VIC-20, Amiga, 8 bit Nintendo, and N-64. I am able to play many games that I could never afford back then and I finally am able to play and enjoy the PSX as I'd always hoped to. My wife does not object to the cost of the games.
Thats it, that is how i became an emulation fanatic.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've heard about Bleem for quite a few years but didn't care too much about it because I own a Playstation. Why should I buy Bleem if I have a PS1? After surfing the web and seeing that Bleem have a lot of compatibility problems I really didn't give a damn about it. Why emulate if you have the real McCoy right?.
I have a Dreamcast too but prefered to play on the PS1 even knowing that Dreamcast is a better piece of hardware than PS1 but Granturismo2 ( GT2 ) isa lot better than Sega GT. Another reason to prefer PS1 is that Sega controller are the worst piece of engineering I ever saw.
Then Bleem started to sell Bleemcast for GT2, I saw some screenshots and I was amazed by the superior quality of the picture. I ordered Bleemcast and the moment I inserted th GT2 in my Sega I couldn't believe it. Boy that was real full scene antialiasing in action. Even now I believe that FSAA on Dreamcast is better than onPS2.
That's what started my interest in emulators. Surfing the web about emu sites I discovered this one ( the best imho, great job ladies and gentlemen ) , saw that EPSXE was rated batter than Bleem for PC and free. I downloaded it, lost a few days searching for a ROM ( hehehehe ) and after reading the manual was in business.
What hooks me on EPSXE is that with good hardware ( I'm not even talking about the top of the line ), a Duron 800 and a Voodo5 my Playstation games looks BETTER than on the PS1.
I hope my story was not too boring.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I remember having a Neo-Geo CD system back in between '96/'97 where a friend told me his other friend had nearly all of the neo-geo games in 1 CD, in which I didn't believe.............
But then when the day came and I went to that friends house,
The next day I had to get a PC, and learn how to use it:D :D :D
Such educational stuff!!!

You know back then I didn't like computers that much, now with the emulation scene, internet, and paint/animation programs I just get addicted to it:eek:

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Heh, I only found out about emus a few years ago, I was watching TechTV (then ZDTV) and they were talking about emulating PSX, they showed PSemu PRO running Spyro and I thought it was coolest thing ever, when I search for PSX emus I also stumbled upon emus for others systems. Ahh, heaven.

·
old-timer
1,330 Posts
I can't remember exactly when i got into emulation, but it must have been between 98-99. It probably started w/ the playstation. Since my playstation broke around that time (some stupid kid pulled it off the shelf) I had been looking for a way to get back to the psx scene. Buying another psx was a slightly expensive solution, and since i was living in South America, fixing it wasn't working out too well either. So somehow I heard about PSemu Pro, but by then it was discontinued. I searched and searched and finally found that leaked beta. I tried it, but it was only moderately entertaining, so that's when i probably got into snes and gb emulation, trying all those japanese games that never made it here. then, i heard about bleem!, and bought it as soon as i had the chance (i remember my friends laughing at me, because it was still pretty glitchy in some games). they were at version 1.4 when i got onboard. I got it to run a lot of my games and was content (and ignored my friends). then i moved onto better things (epsxe 1.01), and haven't left psx emulation since.

Like Efrain, i patiently wait for a saturn emulator, for the same game, and a couple other cool ones i remember trying out in DisneyLand a few yrs back.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
first emu i tried was probably snes9x.
wasn't too impressed as i have a snes.

first emu i played regularly was probably callus95
VERY impressed as i dont have the arcade machines ;)

plus you can play over modem!! i used to play Final Fight on Sega CD with a friend who had to come over, and now we're playing the original arcade version on our computers, each in our own house! of course Street Fighter 2 was the real reason...

first psxemu i played would be bleem. altho i heard all the buzz and stuff, i just never wanted to play psx games anyways. then not long ago i wanted to play Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter, the arcade version of which is still not decrypted today. so altho the psx version was seriously handicap (no character switching), it was better than nothing. and thankfully bleem runs it just fine. then it leads to other psx games and other psx emus, so here i am.

·
CoLD InSiDE
2,615 Posts
Bleem is cause that Im here.........!simple........Neojab is very lazy.........lol...........eheh..............hoohohohohohoooohooooohoho!

·
Scourge of the Seven Seas
2,412 Posts
People are knockin' bleem, but it's the reason a lot of us are here. ;)

It's like cigarettes lead to booze, lead to pot, lead to . . . okay, maybe that was a bad example :D .

·
CoLD InSiDE
2,615 Posts
Originally posted by EfrainMan
It's like cigarettes lead to booze, lead to pot, lead to . . . okay, maybe that was a bad example :D .
Yea

1 - 20 of 33 Posts