Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://www.emucamp.com/

Number 10 has been put up with the next 9 countdowns continuing later.. Pretty interesting.. So what do you guys think are the most influential emus of 2001(not by date)..? Heck why not the top 10 emus of 2001 awards? That would be sweet.. Of course you know which emu I would vote for.. Epsxe..

G

·
Well, PJ64 and ePSXe certainly are these from the next-gen sector, remains to be seen where they get placed ...

I wonder how they made that list - one person on his own certainly can't decide which are the most infuential emus out there.

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm.. Seems the rest of the 10 emus are up now.. Strangely enough epsxe is excluded from the list.. The emus that they do list are pretty nice too, but no epsxe? I think epsxe was and still is the most influential psx emulator out there.. And next year is going to be an even better year for epsxe..

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
10 most influencial emus ?Something is definitely wrong with the list on that site.
They dont have epsxe (in fact no psx emulator).
They dont have fceu.
They dont have Snes9x.
They dont have vba.
They dont have pj64 (or other n64 emulators).

The question I would like to ask.

Who made this list ? :mad:

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I'm sorry if this offends anyone but that emucamp site is terrible!! Especially that comparison of consoles. I like Zophar's Domain always. Indeed Prafull, that site seems to favor Arcade emulators and such. It should be the most Influential Arcade Emulators.

·
Registered
294 Posts
limit the list to only 10 emulators was a BIG mistake. 2001 was a great year for emulation. All the ones in the list have the merit, but definetily ePSXe and Project 64 should be among the most influential emulators of 2001.

There were many other excellent developments too (I don't want be boring listing all them), although not all have big influence in the future of the emulation.

G

·
Well, how about us doing better and creating our list of the XX most induental emus of the last year ? (20 would be a good number for example).

Suggestions are welcome, your personal lists as well :)

G

·
too bad msx emulators cant be really considered influential, neither do they have a large following..but then again, I like ém, so I'll just put em in my list.. heh, ok, anyways, here's my personal list:

*zsnes (for remaining world-class)
*mame (same reason, it remains great, even though I dont know how to play mahjongg, and dont even want to)
*epsxe (for obvious reasons)
*project64 (well, also eh? n64 emulation FINALLY getting progress)
*visual boy advance (the best GBA emu around)
*gens (it already had great genesis emulation, now it also has great sega cd emulation)
*both winuae and winfellow (for the same reason as zsnes and mame)
*z26 (who said dos emus were dead?)
*magic engine (same reason as zsnes etc.)
*nlmsx (for getting the best sound emulation in an MSX emulator yet, and high compatibility)
*rumsx (even though it's not my personal favourite, it deserves a nomination because it's the most user-friendly, it's the only one to emulate the legendary MSX Turbo-R and it's most people's favourite MSX emulator; it introduced many people to MSX emulation)

·
Registered
294 Posts
my personal top-11 emulators for 2001:

- Virtual PC (plays VGS under 2K/XP)
- Daemon Tools (yes it's a DVD emulator)
- ZSnes (it's almost a perfect SNES)
- ImpactEmu (released unofficial version for 2K/XP)
- S11Emu (superb games even without sound)
- ePSXe (no explanation needed, it rocks)
- VGS (easy, great compatibility, I made lot of tools for it :D )
- Project 64 (it's me, Mario!!)
- Gens (great graphics, emulates some Sega systems)
- Visual Boy Advance (Great even when Boycott have better sound)
- MAME (no discussion about this one, even when I don't use it)

oh no, the list is still short... should I make my top-1000 emulators??? :eyemove:

G

·
Hrmm, top 10 emus ... might become difficult to find that many ;)

- ePSXe (no question, it's just great ! and had 2 major releases)
- VisualBoy Advance (best GBA emulator, always impressed of every release)
- Project64 (showed that N64 emulation is still progressing, introduced a new plugin standard, yadayada)
- Mame (I lub y00 ! ;))
- ZSnes - (was the best and staying the best SNES emu)
- 1964 (for catching up amazingly to the other emus, especially the last 2 major releases impressed me)
- Gens (is it just me or are we mostly naming the same emus ?)

Hrmm, gotta think of more tomorrow, only got to 7 now ;) Time for sleep now first though !

·
Coffee Demon
2,916 Posts
Hmmm

Everyone would be posting their top 10 favorites...but the main emphasis should have been top 10 groundbreaking emulators of 2001....some of the entries make sense..we added a few as well

ZSNES for cracking a few more games that used special chips (Star Ocean, Pilot Wings, Street Fighter Alpha, etc)

GENS / AGES / XEGA - Sega CD / 32X emulation

Final Burn - Starting the CPS2 venture

MAME - adding more games to it's MAMEness

EPSXE - with the help of others brought about save state and netplay support

PSinex - Parasite Eve 2 anyone?

KAWAKS - broke in more Neo Geo titles

Modelor / System 11 - more Sega / Namco arcade games emulated

VGBA - starting the GBA emulation effect

NeoPockett - Starting the Neo Geo Pocket emulaion

Cygne - Wonderswan

Magic Engine / HUDX - Turbo CD games

Bleem - and it's death

The rise of new emulators for N64: PJ64, TR64, Deadulus, SuperHLE, etc

The rise of new emu's for PSX: FPSE, ADRIPSX, PSinex, PCSX

LINUX / BEos ports! PCSX & FPSE

any if we mention simply emulation...we got this in 2001

Dreamcast emulation of consoles and Bleemcast
Translations of titles such as Tales of Phantasia and DW5 / 6
PSX / N64 plugin developmet to the extreme thanks to Andy's SPU team with Eternal SPU, Pete's ventures with his SPU / CDR plugins and his continuing work on GPU's..Lewpy for aiding other GPU's as well as continuing his support for GLIDE / Voodoo fans, NikK for his new GPU alternatives, Kazzuya for his continued support of his plugin, JNS and team for PEC and Cyberpad, the P.E.ops team, Darkmans Tools for tools / FPSE Controller plugin and his demo recording plugins. ALDO and Daemon's tools..Alzimer,Jabo, Zilmar, the Company..and other N64 plugin and INI authors.. DEJAP for aiding in the emulation of Star Ocean, FEDA, and SFA2 with there GFX Packs, ...and the other authors and works we may have forgotten....
Also the beginning of Open Source projects.. PE.ops, ADRIpsx, PCSX, ZSNES, and more...
Razoola's decryptions...and the fall of many emulation sites

It's been a good year.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.