Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Aim 4 the stars...
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...

I was playing around with this utility that resets device sectors. (Please don't call me an idiot). I accidentally selected the internal SDD HDD instead of the external USB drive. Within a moment of clicking it, I got BSOD.

Current status: None of the data I have is backed up.
It's booting into the UEFI. I tried making a bootable Windows USB drive (I tried formatting it as FAT and NTFS, too). I explicitly tried booting it from the UEFI, and it didn't boot. I was able to boot into Active Boot Disk (this utility that found online).

It reported that that MBR was damaged. I couldn't salvage any partitions. The full version can fix the MBR, but I want to make sure that I truly do need the full version before I purchase it.

Do you have any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
13,052 Posts
Its a tricky manipulation. Normally I'd completely image the drive down to sector blocks to make sure to preserve a workable copy to go back to.

What kind of data did you have there, can you sacrifice it to restore the device to functioning order ?

I was playing around with this utility that resets device sectors
Can you elaborate, which utility is that ?

·
Aim 4 the stars...
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not require the computer urgently. The data, I would direly like to. I've got some research related source code there.

I understand that recovery by itself is a game of probability. But, here... I'm not even sure what's happening. Why can't I boot? I'm currently taking a disk image backup of the drive using Active Boot. I'm not even sure what I can do with it. It's writing a .dim file.

Why is Active Boot, booting...but not Windows from a USB drive?... I thought, perhaps.. I could try asking Windows to repair or identify a Windows installation...

What I did to mess the situation was a function called "Disk sector filling" using BootICE (Utilities tab -> Disk Sector Filling).

·
Super Moderator
13,052 Posts
Limit your manipulations of the hdd for now. At worst, it could be removed and most its data restored by a professional.

Why is Active Boot, booting...but not Windows from a USB drive?
Active Boot likely runs on top of WinPE, a barebone system used mostly to install windows and perform basic system maintaince like fixing the startup sequence and using dos/shell commands.

Are you using Windows To Go ? (special mobile version of windows that handles different hardware better and defaults to generic drivers as compatibility fallback).

·
Aim 4 the stars...
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Limit your manipulations of the hdd for now. At worst, it could be removed and most its data restored by a professional.

Are you using Windows To Go ? (special mobile version of windows)
No, I am not. I'll make a W To Go USB drive and try...

Thank you for your help so far..

·
Thiccachu (Chubbychu AKA Pikachu-bby/Pikachu-BBW)
3,676 Posts
You're using the same USB drive for both ABD and Windows, I assume? If not:

I've had problems recently regarding booting Windows from a USB flash drive. It seems depending on the drive model itself, you may need to change boot settings to Legacy instead of UEFI, (and turn off Secure Boot sometimes) or use another flash drive.

I've had success with both methods in the past.

But then again, I assume its the same drive, so moot.

·
Aim 4 the stars...
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I made a boot flash disk with GPT (instead of MBR) .... With this, I was able to boot from the flash disk, essentially giving me a chance to reformat the computer and use it again if necessary.

Now, the question about the data. I realize that windows has this thing called "Safety encryption" or something. It says that it prevents your data being stolen, if your hardware is. I presume this means that, one wouldn't be able to get the data even if they made away with the HDD/SDD alone. Which ... sadly brings me to believe that the data I had, can never truly be recovered, since it'll all remains encrypted... I could, at most recover only meaningless data.

I'm asking since... If there's no hope in trying to recover it... I thought I'd let me father have the Surface Book.

·
Super Moderator
13,052 Posts
I'm unsure how common advice works with Surface Book in particular.

I'd suggest asking MS/Surface tech support, or a professional data recovery company for recourses (it can cost +1000$, some charge only if youre satisfied with the minimum data amount recovered). A total cloning of the disk surface (sector by sector) would be one of my first considerations, just in case it is possible to extract/decrypt data later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts