Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
No People, No Problems
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eidos Interactive has announced that it is shutting down Ion Storm Austin, developer of seminal PC first-person shooter/role-playing game hybrid Deus Ex, at the cost of some 35 jobs.
Although the publisher also announced that it would be recruiting some 50 or so new personnel in San Francisco to scale Crystal Dynamics from a two- to a three-team studio, increasing the headcount to more than 180, the tone of PC fan sites is nonetheless mournful in light of Ion Storm Austin's dissolution.
There goes another great studio, i hope they will not discontinue the Deus Ex series.

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
Deus Ex is greate series, I don't think that they'll let it go, because it still has got potential

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
I'm sorry, but Ion Storm Austin ended up suffering the same fate as Ion Storm Dallas. They tried to make a game with too much in it and too much hype (Deus Ex 2) and it ended up falling far far far short of everyone's expectations. Warren Spector already left a while back IIRC, and he was the brains behind SS2 and Deus Ex

·
Some Scottish Guy
4,276 Posts
At least they waited until Deus Ex was released. In all honesty Ion Storm should have been liquidated the second Daikatana was released.

Warren Spector is a genius. He'll be able to do whatever he wants now. Hopefully he won't get swallowed by EA...

·
Registered
289 Posts
I loved Deus Ex, version 2 was not as great though. Ion Storm was a good team... but nothing lasts forever. *sighs*

·
InnarX
2,756 Posts
Ion Storm screwed up when they designed Deus Ex 2 and Thief 3 with a console bios. They should've released the games in full PC glory, and then toned down/cut out enough for it to work on the consoles.

It's a shame.....Ion Storm is dead.....

r2rX :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts