Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I haven't been in here in almost a year, because I've been problem free, but I bring another problem, that I've looked up on here, and haven't found a solution to. Ehrgeiz, and the most annoying error ever. I have the PSX game, and it runs fine as a CD ROM. If I make an iso, it won't run for crap. In fact, it won't run at all. It just fires up and stops on the black screen.

I've made the ISO with about 4 different programs. As I was searching, I found an old post I made last year about this same problem. I never got it fixed back then either! Well, I'd like to fix it now. I've made images with Alcohol 120, WinISO, MagicISO, and I've even tried converting them to BIN! I tried converting to mdf file to ISO, and got an error, and I tried opening the mdf in WinISO, and saving as an ISO, and still no workie!

For all I know, it's a video problem. I've used great image making programs, and can't get an image to work at all. I even tried burning the image and playing it! And no! Ehrgeiz, do you hate me, or do you think Playstation Emulating is wrong?

Help!

·
Registered
654 Posts
First of all, burned images won't play in real Playstations anyway. A Playstation checks to make sure it's an authentic Playstation disk (via media code probably) and refuses to run it if it's not. Unless you've installed a modchip or have a NetYaroz.

Second, is this the only game disk you've had a problem making an ISO of, or have you been unable to get ISOs you've made of other games to work either?

Dan

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
actually, the BIOS looks for data in the bootsector of the pre-gap subchannel, which for some reason most CD-RW drives have trouble replicating. i've read that it's possible to foil copy protection but i havent tried it. and i cant post the link because it's kind of illegal anyway :p

are you using the PAL ehrgeiz? IIRC it has copy protection...so you need to extract subchannel data so it runs. either that or get a PPF patch.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First of all, burned images won't play in real Playstations anyway. A Playstation checks to make sure it's an authentic Playstation disk (via media code probably) and refuses to run it if it's not. Unless you've installed a modchip or have a NetYaroz.
No, I mean, I burned the image and tried to use it in my CD-ROM tray and run ePSXe from CD-ROM! Nope, all other ISO's I've made from my Playstation games worked perfectly. I tried something last night.. I ran from CD-ROM, and it started up, went into the intro screens and you know. Then I hit ESC and hit " Change Disk " and picked the ISO, and it kept running through the intros, you know, like DreamFactory, Squaresoft, but once it's time for the opening movie, it stops. I change back to CD, and the intro MUSIC plays, but no video.

I do have my settings set down, so that could affect that problem. As far as I know, the problem is in the iso somewhere. And I have no clue if it's PAL, all I know is I imported the ISO from the game I bought at Gamestop. :D I see this subchannel thing, but I honestly have no idea how to get it to read that certain file/data. :-/ If you could help, I'd give you a toothbrush.

Edit - When I made the image with Alcohol, it came with the image, mdf, and another file, mds. I dunno' what the mds is for, though.

·
Registered
654 Posts
You're making the wrong kind of image. Choose the Playstation profile, choose the CCD (CloneCD) image format, have it not ignore errors, set the retries as high as it'll go, have it keep subchannel data. You'll get a CCD, IMG and SUB file. Keep them all in the same directory and don't rename them. The IMG file is the main image file that you'll load with the ISO option of ePSXe or through Mooby2 as a CDR plugin. I recommend Mooby2.

Dan

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot, dbhankins, I appreciate it. Thanks to everyone else who replied too. I was able to fix it. I owe it to you, dbhankins, everything you said worked great. Thanks everyone!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.