Next Generation Emulation banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

· Registered
218 Posts
SRY if I went off topic but I thought that I was answering his question.just let me add one last "off topic" thing:

i am not saying that Sempron is bad. quite the contrary, it's very good. but if u want to experience PS2 on PC at version 0.9+ and never worry that your power ain't enough grab that.

· Registered
132 Posts
Well I agree with you on that....and since AMD 64 3000+ is going down in price....I think im going to pick it up soon enough. I realize that x86-64 is the only way to go for ps2 emulation. And no doubt it will be taken advantage of in 0.9+....probably not so much in 0.9....but def in 1.0 . My only problem in getting x86-64 is that not only I have to upgrade the cpu....but I also have to upgrade the motherboard and ram as well. That's why it's a big deal for me.

· PCSX2 Coder
11,343 Posts
gotmilk70 said:
Well I agree with you on that....and since AMD 64 3000+ is going down in price....I think im going to pick it up soon enough. I realize that x86-64 is the only way to go for ps2 emulation. And no doubt it will be taken advantage of in 0.9+....probably not so much in 0.9....but def in 1.0 . My only problem in getting x86-64 is that not only I have to upgrade the cpu....but I also have to upgrade the motherboard and ram as well. That's why it's a big deal for me.
you will need a socket 754 or 939 motherboard for the chip if your sempron isnt one already and your ram will work, but it will be a drag on the system, as the AMD64's run on a DDR400 bus.

· Registered
132 Posts
I have a AMD Sempron Socket A 2500+ . and 256MB ddr 333 ram stick. I know what you mean refraction...thats why I said I would have to upgrade all 3. Im going to go with a Socket 754 AMD 64 3000+ and an Asus motherboard. Im just looking for the right deal. I wouldn't want to drag my system down so Im going to end up buying 512-1024MB ddr 400 ram. Actually the Sempron I have and my Asus A7V8X-X would not boot with my old ddr 266 ram. so i had to buy 333 ram for it to even boot...let alone slow down. I don't want the same incompatibility again so Im going to go through the safe route and get ddr400.

· Registered
3 Posts
well, i don't know your budget and what stores are in your area, and i don't know if you want to swap CPUs in the future, but if you do want to swap CPUs in the future, socket 754 is going to die real soon (look at AMD's roadmaps). socket 939 isn't much more expensive (check anandtech RTPE http://labs.anandtech.com/) along with other online stores, if you plan to buy online, otherwise you can just use RTPE to get an idea of how much stores online are selling CPUs and other parts for so you know if you're paying a good price or not)... also athlon 3000+ is relatively old. there are two versions, based on the hammer core (i believe that's the original? can someone verify that) and a slightly later version based on the newcastle core. replying to your previous post, to add SSE2 support to an Athlon XP or derivative (sempron socket A) would be EXTREMELY costly. AMD could not turn a profit on those chips because it costs lots of R&D $, so to make a profit would mean they would have to pass on the cost of R&D onto the consumer (that's you), which would probably mean it would be cheaper (and higher performance too!) to get a socket 754, 939, or 940 solution, if you're going AMD that is.

· Registered
132 Posts
AMD 64 3000+ may be a bit old...but its cheap. Im happy with my Sempron 2500+, but I want to upgrade to AMD 64 because of x86-64 and SSE2. Im not looking for the best out there. Just something that will be decent in the future. If it's not that much different in price...then I will prolly end up going with Socket 939 AMD 64 3000-3200+. Not only will it be sufficient (at least I hope...and I know only time will tell) for PCSX2....but for the future in general. Not to mention it still has room for upgradeability....since as you say...Socket 939 is not going anywhere. Im an A+ certified tech so I know the difference between AMD and Intel....I had both cpu's and Im just an AMD person....they are cheaper and better for multimedia...but I do admit that PIV's are one hell of a rock solid cpu.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.