Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
132 Posts
Not necessarily.....Some versions of Pentium III's have SSE 1. The only problem with those processors is that they are too slow to run PCSX2 (well at least in the long run when speed will be increased thus requiring more cpu power). Also don't forget that AMD Sempron's are variants of the AMD K7 family. The Sempron's also have SSE1 but Im stuck on the question why they didnt add SSE2 in them. Considering the fact that new Celerons have it. I know Sempron's have SSE 1 because I own a Sempron 2500+ ;)

· Registered
132 Posts
Yea your right Silenus.....cut the 64 from AMD 64 then you got yourself a socket 754 sempron ;) . I seriouly want to know why AMD doesn't add SSE2 to Semprons on the socket A series....I mean Semprons are new in terms of release...im not sure why they didn't Implement it.....I mean new Celeron's have it....and they are the cost effective cpu's of the intel series...I dont know why they did not add it to the Sempron Socket A series.

· Registered
132 Posts
I bought a soket a Sempron 2500+ retail box. And quite frankly, I would have been able to pay whatever extra cost it had to make SSE2 available to it. Even if they had to change the way it works. Im just not willing to shell out tons more for different ram, a new motherboard and an AMD64 or even the more expensive P4 Prescott. I know only the Celeron's with the Prescott architecture have SSE2 and the Socket 478 Celeron's don't have it. That's why I said NEW Celeron's. Im just a gamer trying to get a bang for my buck.

· Registered
132 Posts
Haha....If you want me to get a AMD 64 X2 4800+....(which I would die for) then give me $800 and Ill get it. Untill then...Im not rich....and nither most people in these forums. I need to deal with what I got...untill AMD 64's go down in price...I have to stay with Sempron. IMO, it works better than most people think. Anyway....Im not complaining....thanks to kekko and refraction....it will be possible for semprons to enjoy the speed with VUrecs....even if it won't be till 0.9's release....Im patient. Im just thankful. If it wasn't for the PCSX2 team...none of this would even be possible...and there would be no PCSX2 forums to get all this information and meet all these cool people like ck, general and refraction....(there are others)

· Registered
132 Posts
Well I agree with you on that....and since AMD 64 3000+ is going down in price....I think im going to pick it up soon enough. I realize that x86-64 is the only way to go for ps2 emulation. And no doubt it will be taken advantage of in 0.9+....probably not so much in 0.9....but def in 1.0 . My only problem in getting x86-64 is that not only I have to upgrade the cpu....but I also have to upgrade the motherboard and ram as well. That's why it's a big deal for me.

· Registered
132 Posts
I have a AMD Sempron Socket A 2500+ . and 256MB ddr 333 ram stick. I know what you mean refraction...thats why I said I would have to upgrade all 3. Im going to go with a Socket 754 AMD 64 3000+ and an Asus motherboard. Im just looking for the right deal. I wouldn't want to drag my system down so Im going to end up buying 512-1024MB ddr 400 ram. Actually the Sempron I have and my Asus A7V8X-X would not boot with my old ddr 266 ram. so i had to buy 333 ram for it to even boot...let alone slow down. I don't want the same incompatibility again so Im going to go through the safe route and get ddr400.

· Registered
132 Posts
AMD 64 3000+ may be a bit old...but its cheap. Im happy with my Sempron 2500+, but I want to upgrade to AMD 64 because of x86-64 and SSE2. Im not looking for the best out there. Just something that will be decent in the future. If it's not that much different in price...then I will prolly end up going with Socket 939 AMD 64 3000-3200+. Not only will it be sufficient (at least I hope...and I know only time will tell) for PCSX2....but for the future in general. Not to mention it still has room for upgradeability....since as you say...Socket 939 is not going anywhere. Im an A+ certified tech so I know the difference between AMD and Intel....I had both cpu's and Im just an AMD person....they are cheaper and better for multimedia...but I do admit that PIV's are one hell of a rock solid cpu.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.