Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
It’s Me .. I still Exist
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is mainly for all the EFx2Blog users here at EmuForums.

Ok slipped one more update in before the work on v0.4 begins. I added some simple RSS feed support using RSS v0.91 and I will add support for more versions at a later date. I added an RSS link button on the calendar since almost all the blogs use the calendar.

I also added support for FireFox's Live Bookmarks ( http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/live-bookmarks.html ) which I am sure most firefox users will enjoy.

Also I didn't really mention it on the forums even though it has been added to the blogs for a little bit. I added some better category support. So when you go to the blog archive you will see a new area for blog categories and you can view all the blogs for those categories. I also linked them to each blog post as well.

http://forums.efx2.com/index.php?showtopic=637

Enjoy :D

·
It’s Me .. I still Exist
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well my original idea was to launch everything at the same time when all the 0.4 stuff was ready .. but I just couldn't hold out. :p

So I am going to launch the recent additions to EFx2Blogs.

- New Admin Center - This is the final look of the admin center and I did a lot of code changes on my part so it is easier for me to add more features.

- New Search Feature - Now all blogs feature a search engine for their blogs. If you use the templates then add $search for wherever you want the quick search menu.

- Link Back To The Main Page - When viewing comments or single blog post I added a link at the bottom to go back to that blogs mainpage.

So now the new focus is to just launch new features as I make them so keep an eye out on the forums for the latest additions.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
how did you add Firefox RSS support to a PHP page?

I want to do the same thing to NG's homepage, but I can only find the code to do it in HTML

·
It’s Me .. I still Exist
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very simple one line addition .. just add this between the head tags. Tested and it works.

Code:
<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS" href="http://www.ngemu.com/rss.php">

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
I don't think PHP pages have head tags....

either that or I should leave this to Bobbi before I mess something else up again :p

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
why not? A php page writes an html page and sends it to the user agent, so it can have a head, just as the html ones. Most of the times, a php page is just an html page with php embedded wherever it's needed, so the typical html{head, body} structure can be followed. Even if you program every part of it as a php script, you'll have to write the html tags, so just adding

Code:
print("<head>");
whatever
print("<link rel=\"alternate\" type=\"application/rss+xml\" title=\"RSS\" href=\"http://www.ngemu.com/rss.php\">");
print("</head>");
rest of the page
should work.

·
It’s Me .. I still Exist
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I-Chan yeah Kirby is trying to stick it into the existing header for NGEmu, but can't seem to find it. I am not sure how Bobbi does the skins for NGEmu so I am not sure where the headers are for each skin. Something Kirby will have to ask Bobbi about.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ok some new stuff for EFx2Blogs v0.4 ..

There seems to be an error with the legacy URLs when the blogs were located at http://forums.efx2.com/blog (like Elly's old sig) .. seems there was an error being shown if you used this URL. Not sure how long it has been that way, but it is fixed now.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I have just finished up the last bit of stuff for the latest v0.4 feature. The newest feature is an online poll. If you are an EFx2Blog Member and logged in then use this URL to manage your polls.

http://blog.efx2.com/admin.php?action=pollcreate

Currently all polls are off by defualt. I highly recommend creating the poll question and choices first before turning the poll on. You will see a link on the main poll page for turning on and off your poll. It is always best to turn off the poll each time before a new poll is created and then back on when it is ready.

There is also a new color added for the poll bar color that shows the percentage of votes for each option. This is also located on the main poll page.

If you use the template controls you will need to add $poll to either your right or left menu for it to show up. People that use the defualt template do not need to do anything except turn the poll on when it is ready for use.

Next up for the polls is a poll archive for previous polls and I am thinking about poll comments if people are interested.

Please reply to this thread if you come across any issues or bugs. Thanks for all the support and have fun.

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
Then the head might be included ( include(whatever.php) ) or required ( require(whatever.php) ), so maybe you'd like to check that, kirby.

EFx2Blogs seems like a nice place to put a blog, i'd like to try it whenever i overcome my ubber lazyness and make one for me. Good job :thumb:

·
It’s Me .. I still Exist
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The last of my major upgrades for version 0.4 is now complete. EFx2Blogs Lite is a more traditional blog template for your blogs. This is an optional change you can make for your account and you can easily change back to EFx2Blogs Regular if you don't like it after trying it out.

The major differences are to the design of the blogs. With the Lite version you only have 19 different color variables compared with the Regular version's 52 different color variables. With the Lite version there is no template control like there is with the Regular. So you will not be able to move the menu right and left or up and down.

There is also no shoutbox with EFx2Blogs Lite because I couldn't make it look good with the current design and I wanted something cleaner and simplified.

EFx2Blogs Lite still features all the great stuff we have to offer such as our new poll feature and search engine. There is also RSS feeds, additional pages, blog archive, and category listings to go along with your favorite links. The admin area will not really change except for the design area and the removal of the shoutbox controls.

You can see a running demo of EFx2Blogs Lite on my blog http://blog.efx2.com/Keith

To change your account just go to your blog admin center and then make sure to be on account summary page. There is a link there for switching to the Lite version and the same for switching back to the Regular.

I will work on making some more premade color schemes for the new Lite version soon.

·
It’s Me .. I still Exist
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alrighty I squicked one more major upgrade into the blogs that effects all blog users. I have coded it so the blogs now use clean and simple URLs that are more search engine friendly and more secure.

Example: My blog URL before the upgrade was .. blog.efx2.com/index.php?uid=1 .. which can be a pain to remember and share with others. With the new upgrade my URL is now .. blog.efx2.com/user/Keith/ .. which is much better as you can see.

All the older URLs will still bring people to your blogs, so if you don't want to update your various links in sigs and or sites then you don't have to.

Also this effects all URLs for your blogs so now viewing a months archive is like .. blog.efx2.com/user/Keith/October/2004/ .. rather then the old long one.

Ok I think I am now done with the major upgrades for v0.4. I still have a few small things in the works, but nothing major.

Enjoy :)

·
It’s Me .. I still Exist
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have created the following images to help promote your blog and to help advertise EFx2Blogs. I have created mutliple colors to pick from and they are very small which can be good for websites or forum signatures. If you need any help linking the images to your blog feel free to reply to this post and I will help you as much as I can.

Ok here is the images.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts