Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i really love the program EAC. it has so many options and a great interface. back in the day it used to rip super fast and that's why i liked it. in the past year or so it has started to rip really slow. i always thought it was a hardware problem until i reformatted a couple months ago.

i did a very minimal XP install (probably too minimal...a lot of stuff didnt work :p ) and EAC ripped fast again! i was getting 40x DAE and life was good!

but i reformatted again a few weeks ago, and im ripping a CD at 2.4x and its taking up A LOT of CPU time...i dont get it. i've tried messing around with the options and nothing i do is making it work. is there some secret config im missing? i've tried both my drives and they are both awful. i'm pretty sure its not hardware because it has worked exactly the same without me fiddling around with my hardware...

anyway, the question is....why is it so damned slow and what can i do to fix it??

im going to continue fiddling with it, if i figure anything out ill post it..

edit: seems like synchronized mode works fine, but it takes a while to start up (finding start sector takes a while)...ill try burst mode after this CD finishes encoding. why doesnt secure mode work anymore...

edit2: burst mode works better than synchro, its a little faster. if i uncheck the boxes that were autodetected under Secure it goes a little faster but still not fast enough.

·
Prepare for Descent...
2,844 Posts
if it's using up CPU cylces, I'm guessing that your PC is set to PIO Mode. Go to the Device Manager and check out the IDE Controller properties for the controller your CDrom is connected it. If it is set to PIO Mode, try and select DMA, If Available. Reboot and see if that improves performance. Also check the bios to see if it's set to PIO Mode from there, cause if it is, then I don't think windows could even enable DMA.

If all else fails, use CDex :p

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, all of my drives are in UDMA, i just double checked.

im thinking now that it might be the Nvidia SW IDE drivers, hmm..

·
Prepare for Descent...
2,844 Posts
Have you checked the Event Viewer under System? Maybe errors are showing up in there that are related to the cdrom. You could either try a new drive or IDE cable.

Btw, have you tried a different ripping tool? Maybe EAC went ape or something.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.