Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well before you guys say, "hey why dont go for the E7xxx or E8xxx, theyre pretty cheap nowadays", i must say: "Not here in brazil :(".

Looks like my Mobo got screwed, and since i have to buy a new one, i was thinking in getting one for socket 775 and a new processor.

So instead of spending R$ 200 on a new AM2+ mobo, ill spend R$ 330 on a CPU+775 mobo, since i´d be selling my X2 for around R$ 100.

The new parts would be E5200 + Gigabyte GA-G31MS2C. Is it an ok board? I dont need anything fancy, nor high OC.

Since i wasnt expecting to spend this money, im low on cash, and cant stay w/out my pc to gather a good amount for a better CPU.

So resuming, an E5200 is a worth upgrade over my old X2 3800+? I was running it stock speeds (2.0Ghz), and dont really plan to OC the new processor much, if at all.

EDIT: i posted here before (http://forums.ngemu.com/pcsx2-forum/121468-e5200-3ghz-e7400-3ghz.html) only to realize later that was pcsx2 and not HW section.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
I've used that motherboard in another PC that I sold to a friend. It had an E2160 CPU in it, but the basics were the same. Both are Pentium Dual-cores. I'm almost certain that board takes 45nm CPUs, so yes, it should work. That board took my E2160 to 3.0GHz with 667MHz RAM, so it should be fine.

However, note that the RAM had to run at 800MHz to obtain that overclock, even though the FSB was effectively only 1333MHz, and not 1600MHz. 667MHz RAM is fine for 1333MHz, but the board overclocked the RAM to 800MHz, so I think you can't control the divider or the strap (unless I never found it, which I do admit I never looked).

The options are very basic. You simply choose the CPU FSB, and you can control voltage for the CPU, RAM, and Northbridge by either having it at stock, +0.1V, +0.2V, or +0.3V, and that's it. Since you can't control the RAM frequency, you lose alot of flexibility, so make sure the RAM is good at overclocking. Otherwise, the board itself is pretty good, and for the cheap price it usually goes for, well worth it.

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info about the board.
Now what about the CPU itselft? How about performance improvements?

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
The E5200 is clock for clock, about 10% faster than the equivalent AMD processor. But since the E5200 is running on 2.52Ghz, it should be as fast as an AMD running on 2.6Ghz, probably faster (Athlon64 X2 5200+)

So yes, it's an improvement, overclock it to get even better performance.

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok my old mobo really was damaged.
So i just ordered the E5200 and the MOBO i described above. Gonna get them tomorrow.

Im gonna install Windows 7 RC1 on it.
About the drivers, should i use the ones for Vista or let it go online and search for them?
I already dl´ed the Vista ones, and for the 8600GT, i got the beta driver from nvidia site.

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok heres what happened...
As they were installing the new pc parts, my 250gb HDD just died...

And since they didnt had another to replace it, they gave me a 320gb one, and a better mobo(GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Overview - GA-G31M-S2L), for the same price.

Ill only get the pc on saturday, as its work-day-holiday tomorrow.

Lost all my mp3, videos, movies, pr0n... and some family pics. Not worth the trade if you ask me, but what tha hell, lets start from scratch at last once.

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The PC doesnt even boot with the HDD attached. Totally ruined.
Will only get it monday...2 weeks w/out pc...im having nightmares everyday ;)

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well i just got my pc back yesterday, and installed win7 on it.

BUT when i run cpu-z, the multiplier is running at 6x, instead of 12x.
I already disabled EIST(Enhanced Intel Speedstep Tecnology) on BIOS.
Also the multiplier should be 12.5x but the Bios only allow me to change between 6x and 12x.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
What is the date on that BIOS version? The motherboard has to support half multipliers, so either it doesn't, or it does but it's using a BIOS version that doesn't. That motherboard says it supports upcoming (at the time) 45nm CPUs, so it sounds like it just has an older BIOS version. Update the BIOS, and you should be good to go.

Also, there's no reason to disabled Speed Step outside serious overclocking. It'll conserve energy, power, and heat when the PC is idle or in low use (which it likely will be over half the time), and then let the CPU go back to full when under load. leave it enabled and don't worry if it isn't always running full speed. It will when it needs to. That's what matters.

The answer though is that I think there's another one you need to disable to stop it (C1E for Enhanced Halt State).

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah i just disabled Halt, and its running @ 12x multiplier.

And i checked here and it says it does support my E5200 @ 2.50ghz, using BIOS F8, which is the one im using now.

Updating the bios should fix my problem? Is it safe to do it inside windows? I do have an UPS.

I did find this on gigabyte site, saying my board does support 45nm CPU.

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
D´oh

Well my "engrish" sometimes betray me.
It was there all the time, but under other option, "Fine CPU Ratio" = adds +0.5 to multiplier...

Now ill run some tests (games) to measure the fps, and later will try some OC.
First to 2.8ghz, and maybe 3.0ghz, depending on how my kingston value ram will do.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Bump the Ram to 266, and start there. It should at least do that. I like to start with the common FSB values (200, 266, 333, 400, etc.) and go from there, but with the high multiplier of that CPU, just bumping it to 333MHz will get you over 4GHz, which I doubt you'll accomplish. I'd start at 266 (3.325GHz) and go from there. 280 will get you 3.5GHz. 300 will get you 3.75GHz.

Unless your RAM is slower than 667MHz, it'll at least be good for 333 (1333MHz) FSB, so even if it's generic stuff, it'll do. That's the good thing about higher multiplier CPUs. You can also go with a lower multiplier and higher FSB instead, if RAM permits (and I would, as the FSB would be quite low for the speed, and I think I read that higher multipliers usually add slightly more heat than higher FSB, but I'm not sure).

I skimmed Google, and ~3.8GHz, give or take some, seems to be the staple. I'd then shoot for 300Mhz FSB from the get-go, but that's me, and I wouldn't recommend it.

You want to try and stay below 1.4V for the 45nm Core 2s. Intel lists 1.3625V as the maximum safe voltage for them. Do try and set voltages, at least for the CPU, RAM, and Northbridge, manually.

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the tips.
Actually i never intended to go over 3Ghz.
I just looked in the bios, and the ddr2 sensor stated: 1.91V
Is that too much for DDR2 ram? I already set the voltage to "auto".

Since its not a C2D, but a Dual-Core, the default FSB for the CPU is 800Mhz.
Setting the FSB to 240 would "hurt" the memory/CPU ratio?
At that FSB, my RAM would run at what frequency?
Default is 800Mhz also.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
A Pentium Dual-core is a Core 2 Duo with less L2 cache and a lower FSB. That's it. It's architecturally the same thing, and the latter can be taken care of with overclocking (you can't add L2 cache, and while it makes differences here and there, it's not a huge one). That CPU is termed a Pentium Dual-core due to it's lineup place and marketing, but the chip itself is a Core 2. It is a Wolfdale, is it not? So is my Core 2 Duo E8600, and so was my former Core 2 Duo E8400.

1.9V shouldn't damage most RAM. The default staple maximum is considered 2.1V, but there is some RAM that that high of a voltage may burn up. The default is often 1.8V for standard stuff, and 1.9V-2.1V for the overclocking stuff. I'd check the timings and voltage. It's almost certainly guaranteed to be rated faster than the FSB of that CPU will need at or below 3GHz (unless it's 200MHz [400MHz effective] DDR2 RAM, which I'm doubting), so I'd just set it to the timings and voltage it's rated for, and set the speed to run 1:1 with the FSB, be it lower or a tad higher than it's default. A 1:1 ratio is usually best for Core 2s.

If you want 3GHz, set the RAM to 240 (480MHz effective, so even slow 533MHz RAM would be underclocked to keep up with it, so my above advice for the RAM would be okay). If that's all you want, there you go. You'll just need to find the voltage value sweet spot for the CPU. If you ask me though, shoot higher. If 3.8GHz is the common median, try and shoot for 3.5GHz, or at least somewhere sort of halfway between that and your 3GHz target (using the 266MHz FSB standard will get you 3.325GHz, which is just over halfway between them, and still a rather mild but effective, and nice mid-range, overclock).

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well here are my Memory settings by cpu-z.
Its currently running the ratio at 1:2
And im not going to loose performance if i drop the RAM frequency from 800 to 480?

Well do you think i can reach more than 3Ghz on stock cooling?

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
No, you won't lose performance (that's worth mentioning, that is). You might even gain performance for one reason. 6-6-6-18 timings for DDR2 are terrible. If you drop to 480, you'll be able to use 4-4-4-12, which is a good setup. Since your FSB would only be 480 anyway, dropping the RAM from 800 to 480 won't lose you much. Oh, sure, some memory bandwidth programs might give better results, but in real world use, you won't see it, and the better timings will help compensate for any loss, and even help overall.

However, I just remembered something. Look at what I said above about that motherboard and a serious lack of flexibility with RAM and FSB ratio control. It has no controls for straps or dividers (again, I don't think it does). You may have no choice but to have it run 2:1. Not only that, but since you can't change it from running 2:1, if you even try to overclock and bump the FSB of the CPU up, the speed of the RAM goes up too, even though it doesn't really need to. This means that since you already have 800MHz RAM, and it's generic stuff (which means it likely won't go too much higher, if at all given those terrible timings), you probably won't get but a couple hundred MHz (again, if that) overclock before your RAM won't go higher. I never found a way to change the ratio in my short time with the board, and if I'm right that you can't, then that motherboard is going to hold you back big time because of that.

As for how high it "would" go with stock cooling, that depends on how your temperatures look.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.