Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently changed my mobo to an AsRock 945GCM-S with a Pentium Dual Core E5200. After a few minutes overclocking, it seems the highest I can get is 224x12.5, making a clock speed of roughly 2.8Ghz.

Although It's the crummiest motherboard I can buy. I still want to overclock it a little. ;)

So if there are any people who uses the E5200 and overclocked it with their 1337 motherboard, how much can you overclock the processor without changing anything, no NB voltages, no vCore/VID changes, no BSEL mod, just simple FSB overclock.

·
AKA snkmad
4,063 Posts
I plan to OC mine to 3.0ghz, but still learning the howto´s.
And i think your problem isnt the MOBO itself, more like the chipset on it being bad (old).

·
Level 9998
10,591 Posts
So if there are any people who uses the E5200 and overclocked it with their 1337 motherboard, how much can you overclock the processor without changing anything, no NB voltages, no vCore/VID changes, no BSEL mod, just simple FSB overclock.
A BSEL mode just simply flags the motherboard into thinking the processor should be at a higher default FSB... it doesn't do anything more than that... and it's the safest bet for overclocking on non-overclockable motherboards, or those with minimum overclock efficiency. :p

That said, a simple BSEL mod to 266MHz gives 12.5 x 266MHz = 3.3GHz on stock voltage on most S775 motherboard. Look for that mod if you're interested... it's just taping (masking) a few contact points. I doubt you can push that board any further since it seems you're held back because the FSB frequency is linked to PCI-E frequency. Typical Intel reference design.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Actually, this crummy motherboard for some reason has :

-CPU / PCI-E non link setting
-VTT Voltage setting
-NB Voltage setting
-DRAM settings

But still, setting the FSB beyond 225 Mhz, it stops booting, hence my question, on stock CPU vcore, how much can the E5200 usually can overclock? About 3Ghz?

Or an alternative question is, do most, if not all E5200 will actually boot and is stable when using a BSEL mod to use 266FSB / 3.3Ghz? Without using the vCore BSEL mod as well?

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
you may be hitting either a voltage, or a northbridge cooling limitation.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update :

I got through 226FSB, I'm now at 233FSB...... Currently it's still Orthos stable at 30 minutes........

But I discovered something really peculiar about this motherboard though.......

For some reason the motherboard doesn't really like FSB and PCI-E speeds too far apart from each other.
I achieved the higher clock rate by accidentally setting it so Sync setting for FSB/PCI-E.

In short, it refuses to boot in a higher FSB than 225 unless I also increase the PCI-E speed. To reach 233 FSB I need to set the PCI-E setting at 104Mhz. Any lower PCI-E speed and it refuses to boot.

But still though, setting it higher than 233 FSB causes an instant crash/reboot when using Orthos. Even turning PCI-E speed any higher doesn't solve this (I gave up at 115Mhz). So for now I'll stop. If I have the time, I'll try using the BSEL mod to just boost the FSB automatically to 266FSB to see if it works better. :)

·
AKA snkmad
4,063 Posts

·
From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
As far as overclocking goes, that motherboard (the Gigabyte) only has like, what, three or four options (not counting the unlockable RAM timing options)? That's not really alot. You can set the voltages of the CPU, RAM, and Northbridge, and you can adjust the FSB. That's about it, if I remember right.

StriderVM, just remember not to set the PCI-Express frequency above 110 (or is it 115?). I think it can be dangerous to your video card and/or something else, but for most boards, there's often little need to raise it at all.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
if its Award Phoenix, mod the bios :p

·
Level 9998
10,591 Posts
For some reason the motherboard doesn't really like FSB and PCI-E speeds too far apart from each other.
I achieved the higher clock rate by accidentally setting it so Sync setting for FSB/PCI-E.
That's because FSB and PCI-E clocks are still, in fact, linked. By linked, I meant that their frequencies can't be too far apart, not that when you increase FSB, PCI-E increases as well. :p

Most low-end motherboards are that way. I think a majority of ASRock motherboards are that way, and... AFAIK, nothing much you can do about it aside from increasing PCI-E or... maybe get another board.

Anyway, yeah, you can BSEL-mod to 266MHz and it'll boot just fine. Just like if you BSEL mod the E7xxx CPUs to 333MHz, they'll boot just great and you might even be able to improve overclocking since the internal chipset timings at 333MHz allows for higher overclocking, for instance. Happens all the time on nForce chipsets. :p Only the mid-end or high-end boards from the well-known brands have on-the-fly timing changes depending on the "peak" FSB setting. I think Anandtech had an article about that or so, so... look it up if you're interested.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.