Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been a long time since the last release.. (Xmas 2008).
But now its time to show the world what has been done since the last time.

So thats why the new release 0.1 Alpha is there.

Download can be found on the sourceforge page.
dxbx | Get dxbx at SourceForge.net

What has been fixed..

- Game logos are shown in the main form and can also be exported.
- The dll`s don`t need to be copied annymore to the game folders. ( this because of Xbe Loading ).
- No more creating exe files, we run the xbe files instead of converting the xbe to exe.
- We use our own dll files, not working with the cxbx dll`s
- XBEExplorer, a new tool for looking into xbe files like a PE Header viewer, then for xbe files.
- XDKTracker game list has been updated..

This are some features i can think of.. so now you can take a look also with this new setup.
REMEMBER .. THIS IS STILL ALPHA -- NO PLAYABLE STUFF --

We are still hard working on it.. and prehaps we can make a full 0.1 version..
But for now its still ALPHA !!

Greetings,

Dxbx Team

·
No$gba Philosopher
547 Posts
Congratulations on your first milestone!

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no games or demo`s or homebrew stuff is playable yet.

However, we still have some problems with the vertex shaders and the ntcreatefile methods.
If these are fixed we probably will get some other debug problems.. but we are very close to the first screens, we are getting closer every time.

Also we have almost every day new adjustments in the svn in sourceforge.
So there is al lot of progress.

When we will have screenshots to show, i can not tell.
The project is doing good again, but its still made in free time.

thats all for now.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Gongralulations from the alpha release:D

So the translation from c to delphi is nearly complete and you can start building dxbx at your own methods to working emulation, is that right?

Keep up the great work team, and remember to take a break at a while. The first screens will show soon enough.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
@kingis85 : Well, we do take a break sometimes... just not that much;-)

I'm working on it almost every night, sometimes working on pure translation, sometimes supporting defiance, or anything else that comes up. Learning as we go...

Say, how you you like my new XbeExplorer tool?

·
Registered
71 Posts
well as i dont understand very mutch from all that information what xbe file has inside but i,m sure it will be useful for looking important information. It seems to be easy to use and maybe we other people can help you emudevs if you need information from games that you dont have. So it is definetly a good tool to have.

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what do you mean with technical information ??
like specs, software information like file formats and stuff or hardware ?

Hardware:
Hacking the Xbox

File formats
try google for the xbe file format.

software information.. eeh ok there or 2 types of executables for xbox.
the xbe files created with homebrew OpenXdk and software that has been created with a official Microsoft XDK

·
Digital Hunter
1 Posts
I consider this a great achievement in the emulation scene...congratulations for your hard work...
It was about time the XBOX emulation gets a push forward, because it was the least advancing emulated machine...but now, I guess, it is only a matter of time...
great work shadow_tj, please keep it up...

·
Registered
137 Posts
To Shadow and the Team
Hi I just wanted to say thanks for everything your guys are doing in general I have two questions for you will the emulator in the further progress have iso support or just the xbe file format and is it harder for iso file format then xbe? when your emulator is done later on I will be playing alot of games and so much more thanks for your very hard work keep it up well I will talk with you all later on see ya later!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't understand why you are moving away from cxbx rather than trying to get your findings incorporated in it.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
@mewtu : You're making the wrong conclusion; As a matter of fact, Defiance is hard at work, incorporating my improvements back into Cxbx (namely the alternative symbol-detection code and the XbeLoading [bypassing the Xbe>Exe conversion]).

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
@Shock120 : I'm not going to repeat what's already described in our readme. Please research a little before polluting the forum. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
WoW64 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seems that AMD64 based machines should be able to run this OK (due to the ability to switch to compat-mode for 32-bit threads). IA-64 reads as being a more "computationally expensive task" due to it's unique instruction set.

If I had a AMD64 based machine I'd test.
As far as our testing goes, WOW64 does not support emulation for 32 bit LDT, which we really need to emulate the difference in the TIB structure (that's accessed in Xbox code via the FS register).

We do have a (incomplete) prototype that patches all FS-using code to use NT-native offsets, but that code is not complete (not by a long shot), but it's our only hope of ever running under WOW64. It's not actively pursued right now however, maybe later.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
LDT existed on the first 32bit processors in order to provide backwards compatiblity for 16bit apps that were not capable of paging. CPU's are not capable of executing 16bit instructions and features while running in 64bit native, which is why LDT is not available via WoW64.

The main problem is no vm86 mode under 64bit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts